Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Shockwave needs a buff

As the title suggests, I have some opinions and ideas in regards to the newest character, Shockwave. Not sure if the game developers read these, but I've got time to talk if you have time to read.

Shockwave is easily my favorite character in really any media as a whole and not just Transformers. I started saving up energon from both gameplay and sales up to 4k ever sense I started the game on opening day. knowing he'd be added someday. Thankfully, I did get that 3 and 4 star Shockwave I was hoping for out of 20 crystals opened in sets of 10. Design wise, he looks great other than his gun being mounted on a hand joint causing it to move at times.

Combat wise, he follows a style I expected he would and favors shock damage. I did find him to be a little disappointing though. First off, repair Block is virtually useless, as very few characters heal. The two main things would be Charge building and energy. Though I like the strategy behind blocking shots, it's just not effective enough to compete with other character options. When paired with Rinox, Shockwave gains 2 through 4 charges at the start and every 25 seconds after. This is what I think needs to instead be applied to Shockwave as a whole and perhaps Rinox adds to the amount. If Shockwave built 3 charges at the start and every 20 to 25 seconds, it could open up the strategic options he does when partnered. These over time charges allow for more evasive gameplay instead of sitting and waiting to block a shot. It also adds the much needed damage buff to his T3 which is really weak without 8 charges. Once the T3 is ready, the player plays a game of tag until the charges arrive.

If not Rinox's synergy being added, he could use an offensive method of charges. Instead of self building, Shockwave could have a set chance to gain charges by either hitting the enemy with ranged attacks or blocking ranged with his own shots.

The second issue is energy for both sides. Tech characters are well known for manipulating energy through Power Flow and Energy Drain. I was disappointed to see Shockwave get neither of these. A strategy Shockwave should have is to win the energy bar race when against an average energy efficient character. This can either be done by increasing power gained, but preferably the ability to drain it with shock stacks. Once again, this is gained by partnering. I find the energy drain important because it burns energy from the enemy during the T3 ending. If they survive without Mirage's effect, they almost always instantly use the T3 they had or gained right after Shockwave's attack ends. This of course leads to an unavoidable bruising or loss. This also saves them from being defeated by the remaining shock damage which is terribly frustrating to be that close. If the charges drained energy, the opponent wouldn't have enough left for an instant T3 and would force a bit more time for the charges to finish their effect.

I sadly do not have the ability on any version of Shockwave yet so I only have info to go by. The idea to willing;y take hits during the countdown would be a neat way to build energy without the harm. Since most players will never break 15% chance in the ability, I wouldn't consider it to be a solid strategy but instead a happy little happening to take advantage of. Over all, I feel like Shockwave is just on the tip from escaping the under powered zone. He just needs one more quality to liven up his gameplay and make him earn this "King of shocks" title.

What do you guys think? Is Shockwave in need of some more traits, or is my fanboy side wanting to see a really strong Shockwave? Perhaps there's a strategy I'm missing.
Tagged:

Comments

• Yeah, I agree with a lot of this. He's my favourite Transformer ever since I was a wee little boy, and as much as I want to love him - he's not the insane powerhouse he should be IMO.

Shockwave more seems to be "Okay, this is how you counter Megatron I guess", instead of "This is an Anti-Meta" character.
    I'll take the example of the Yu-Gi-Oh metagame, we have a deck called Invoked Wind Witch - it follows the same rule. "Okay, this deck is how you counter Zoodiac", instead of "This is an Anti-Meta deck". It's made to deal with one specific strategy, instead of all multiple. (FYI, Zoodiac is the current best deck. If you don't run Zoo in your deck, you are at a severe disadvantage because it's so crazy)

Shockwave's shock mechanic reflects this, it works on Demolisher ranged attacks, which is far too generalised to be good, unless we get a tier set of only Demolishers. Right now, yeah Ironhide is great - but he isn't the only one. If Ironhide and Megatron had been the sole meta, Shockwave would have been far better. The shock counters are far too slow, and too specific. I'd say have Rhinox give them every 10ish seconds perhaps.
    If they generalised his powerset, and gave his shock counters easier ways to be gained, and buffed his Shockwave and Rhinox synergies - he would be in a great spot, but right now he's far too generalised.

But, if we do enter a time of the game where Demolishers are the absolute best class, Shockwave will be in a far better spot.
  • Drake6401Drake6401 Posts: 321
    @BlackConvoy

As you stated, Shockwave does seem to be the anti-Demo character and does it decently well. A way to change energy is something he needs to prevent these big hitters from reaching their T3 goals as quickly. I had a case against Ironhide where he survived by a pinch from Shockwave's T3 and of course triggered his instantly after (Before the shocks ended) and finished me off from about 85% health with his signature boosted T3. Though ironhide is a beast right now, this turn out is really one sided, especially since he did that to even a Tech character. He was a higher bot power but it's wasn't enough to make that reasonable.

Hopefully we'll get a character balance update soon and a few of the issues will be fixed. Ironhide and Grindor could use a closer look along with many other Demos and Brawlers. Tech feels like the weakest class so far which is sad because I really like the idea behind them.
  • AAGZ0921AAGZ0921 Posts: 194
    Don't touch Ironhide and Grindor. They are perfectly fine whooping ass.
    @AAGZ0921

A good fighting game's job is to design characters that are all unique in their own way, not superior or inferior to another. Though some player styles will suit different characters, There shouldn't be any flat better ones. Since Ironhide and Grinder are the supreme versions of their class above all, it's a clear indication that changes need to be made. Primarily, decreasing Grindor's armor buff, then Ironhides critical damage and crit buffs.

As fun as it is to have a near instant kill one shot with ironhide, and Grindor's drawback free, brutal attack and defense; Something needs to be done to ensure more equal odds from the characters. Most games post big re-balance updates after a fair share of content has been added to actually go fix. Hopefully we'll get one after the 3.0 version update is complete.
  • DavienDavien Posts: 758
    shockwave heals like crazy once he's awakened.. have you awakened your 3* and 4* versions yet? try fighting the final boss in AM today and you'll get what I mean.
    @Davien

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it for any version of Shockwave yet. I imagine he can heal well, but only under rare situations. First you have to fill a bar and on most cases have a 15% chance for the ability to take effect. Then you have 4 seconds to take as much non fatal damage as possible to get energy and patch it back. The Alliance mission version is most likely running the 35% max level version for difficulty.

Personally if they increased the chances of it occurring, it would cover for the suggestions I listed. It wouldn't be a really annoying trait since players can simply lay off him for 4 seconds.
  • DavienDavien Posts: 758
    they can't make all characters equally OP as that would only ruin the game not help it. Some bots will definitely be weaker or stronger than others. If you really like a character you'll learn the best way to utilize it to the fullest.

note: Some characters like Arcee is absolutely crap tho.. so far I could only spot this bot requiring a buff... the rest seems fine.
    @Davien

Arcee gains energy extremely fast, but yeah, I forgot to consider her. Not a whole lot about her past energy and range evasion. Shockwave seems to be doing pretty well as long as he has at least one of his synergy boosts active. Perhaps he was just a bit underwhelming for such an important character to the franchise and this game at the moment.

Hopefully we'll see an update for a widespread balance soon and these nit picks can be satisfied.
  • DirculesDircules Posts: 509
    Shockwave is just a gimmick character, not meant to be dominating the raids or AM or whatever. Just a fun character for when you're bored and run some dailies with an all tech squad. Can't have all bots to be top contenders for the hard stuff. If you accept him like that he's fine. I'm sorry if he was your favorite bot from the series and now does not live up to your expectations.