Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Some things I liked with 3.0

Last week was pretty hectic with AM, raids, the crystal screen implying you already have crystals rather than can afford them, and some new visual bugs... but there's also some cool new features. So lose ends notwithstanding, I wanted to mention a couple of my favorite additions

First is definitely the AM leaderboard! This is something players have been asking about for months and I'm stoked it's here. Better yet, it's a really excellent implementation!

Second, Masteries. This could've gone sideways badly, but I like this cautious cautious approach. Putting aside theproblems they caused, it seems pretty good. It's great that they're free to remove - MCOC only had two re-do tokens when I started in January, but three mastery trees, so you had to assume your choices were permanent (yeah, I know that all changed with 12.0).
Cores are reasonably priced (although some of the Masteries seem to need a LOT of them) and I appreciated the mastery core raid event and story mission chapter exploration bonus.
Most of all, I like how they eventuate the abilities and play styles of certain bots. So you can make your Grindor an insanely armored tank, or give Sideswipe a juiced up counterpunch, or power up your ranged fighters, or buff those crit dependent bots, but you can't do all those things at once. And there's no real "single ideal build" because it really does depend what bots you use the most.
Masteries are much more well done than many of us expected I think.

Third, the story chapter is cool too. I noticed the "skip already read dialogue" button in settings. That was a player suggestion made only once I think (not by me), so nice to pick up on it and implement. The actual story maybe wasn't as interesting as Act 1 or 2... I actually like reading the stories and always use the bots' voice in my head if it's one I can remember, so a little bit of effort in script writing is definitely appreciated. Less of the chest thumping ** measuring contests and more of the "how are we dealing with this random planet and its circumstances" would be cool.

And the big one for me, is I think the reward structures are getting better. My alliance family might not like me saying it (Alpha is our sister alliance, and they definitely are getting less of the t2a they love) but there's a more linear progression in rewards than there was. It used to be if you weren't first, or maybe top 5, you got squat. That's great for ppl who spend thousands to be #1, but it sucks for everyone else. And let's be honest, most of us are in the "everyone else" category ;)
I like that you actually have to complete AM to get a chunk of the rewards, and that rewards don't dwindle to nothing even after top 20. It means there's good reason for all alliances at every level to get into it.
The same thing happened with arenas a bit earlier. More 1-2 day arenas mean you can go hard when you have a day off, but you don't have to keep it up for half the week in order to get something worth the effort.
There are also more deals targeted to mid-tier players, which is great. The 3* Prowl is perfect. He's exactly the bot you want to bring down Shockwave, and he isn't insanely priced.
If you're a new player thinking about it - you should definitely buy him. If you have fewer than say, three 3* bots it's a no brainer. Get him - he's badarse and getting a great 3* early really sets you up for good progress through the game.
I hope there's a 3* boss killer on sale with every major update - it really makes the game more accessible to newer players (and hopefully increases the number of people willing to spend a bit), both of which mean we all get to share our hobby/entertainment with more ppl, which just makes it more fun :)
I wonder if we're getting to the point where a few more 4* shards will be coming through non-arena avenues, like alliance events?

Ok, those are the main four sets of improvements I really appreciated. Thanks to the team despite the craziness last week :)
Would be interested to hear if people like some change I didn't mention or possible even notice yet
Tagged:

Comments

• TrailfireTrailfire Posts: 590
    (Oops, this shoulda been in general discussion, not bugs & issues)
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    The new chapter is challenging. Fighting against a 1700+ Motormaster with an insane repair module (20% health replenish every 15 seconds!) is something breathtaking. Having a map of Sharticons is cool, too.

Now I quit my alliance and I can't turn off global chat? Something's not right.
  • Trailfire wrote: »
    There are also more deals targeted to mid-tier players, which is great. The 3* Prowl is perfect. He's exactly the bot you want to bring down Shockwave, and he isn't insanely priced.
    If you're a new player thinking about it - you should definitely buy him. If you have fewer than say, three 3* bots it's a no brainer. Get him - he's badarse and getting a great 3* early really sets you up for good progress through the game

How do you buy Prowl???

• CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    Trailfire wrote: »
    If you're a new player thinking about it - you should definitely buy him. If you have fewer than say, three 3* bots it's a no brainer. Get him - he's badarse and getting a great 3* early really sets you up for good progress through the game

How do you buy Prowl???

This was my thought exactly, I'm wondering if I missed a sale during the two days my phone was dead. Certainly never saw an announcement
    Just checked: turns out it's an AppStore exclusive deal. :(
    Well, there's plenty of deals through Google Play and stuff too apparently.
  • Does it cost around 15$? Because there is a 3* Waspinator deal, that also gives you mastery cores and some other stuff.
    If it is the equivalent deal, then I have to say that Prowl is better than Wasp. Shame that we Android users get inferior deals. :/
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    First Ultra Magnus, now Prowl? Ugh why does everyone bow and worship that glorified fruit company!? I'm starting to think nobody loves Android, all we got were Bay Knockoff Optimus and the bug.
    Yep. US$15 with two cores. There's no Wasp deal in the AppStore recently

No idea how the deals work... when the Um deal happened I think Mike mentioned it had more to do with decisions by Apple/Google than by Kabam, but that was ages ago so I can't really remember for sure
  • MustangjonMustangjon Posts: 1,146
    Android got wasp and iOS got prowl offer both got cores
  • Faithz17Faithz17 Posts: 842
    Wouldn't recommend buying either of the deals. Just grind arena. I got both 3* Wasp and Prowl duped from arena crystals and using energon from arena for the themed crystals bundle deals. Prowl is now my away missions champ. :/
    If you don't have any 3*, a guaranteed 3* is definitely worth $15. If you already have 9 or more I reckon there's other things you can buy in-game that are probably better.
  • Hey there Trailfire!

This is some awesome feedback! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us on what you liked about 3.0! Just to let you know, I am going to be moving this to General Discussion, and will make sure the right people take a look at your thread!
  • Nick_80Nick_80 Posts: 225
    Let's not forget about about the new artwork for some characters, especially shockwave he had the worst headshot before the update.
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Rimehaven

(mainly for helping me move the thread of course :) )
  • Gunz0Gunz0 Posts: 2,949
    Hey at least all Sony users got energy refills as an exclusive gift and Apple users got crappy Bayformers bots