Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Prowl

Yes, its another one of these boring 'asking for advice' threads but I was wondering on the best way to use him.
For some reason I've never really like Scouts as they don't suit my play style but Prowl was always one of my favourite Transformers.
Having said that, now that I've got him to 4/4 on a 3* I'd like to know how other players use him.
His melee power up doesn't seem all that powerful and only his SP1 seems of use.
Who is he bad or good against? The intel report doesn't really give the best overview when it comes to using him properly.
Any players use him regularly?

Comments

• I wouldn’t mind some tips too I got him as my profile character as a 4* duped twice I know his SP 2 is powerful if it crits
  • Stitch626Stitch626 Posts: 286
    His SP1 is one of the best Power Burners right now. Depending on how well you fight, you can keep almost any opponent below 2 power bars for the entire fight. And his SP2 does pretty good damage as well.

Hes not the highest DPS Scout bot, but his Power Burn and agility make him pretty good still.
  • MustangjonMustangjon Posts: 1,146
    edited October 2017
    Power control is best and as well as long as he’s duped back off start building buffs and dance around then go ham use l1 rinse and repeat

No bot will ever get to use a special
  • Tell me if I'm going wrong even if this is a 'boring' technique -
    Either dash back, fire and dash forward then heavy or;
    Dash back and side (etc) to 10 then get into the fight.
    Keep power on SP1 just under SP2 gauge then use so you effectively get back to SP1 with your next hit. Release SP1.
    Repeat.
    I just feel there's more to him that I haven't discovered.
    Again, I'm just not good with Scouts.
  • MustangjonMustangjon Posts: 1,146
    Nope that’s pretty much it build buffs and steal power rinse and repeat, his l2 and l3 have uses but spamming l1 is his best feature
  • Mustangjon wrote: »
    Nope that’s pretty much it build buffs and steal power rinse and repeat, his l2 and l3 have uses but spamming l1 is his best feature

Cheers, bud. I'm now using him pretty much as that but trying techniques to keep opponent down long enough to buff and keep it rotational.

Any hints on beating Warriors. Just in case?
  • kranderskranders Posts: 479
    As someone who has an r4 nearly maxed Prowl I find him a lot of fun controlling a fight. It’s correct that s1 is his main draw but that makes him match up against almost any bot. His s2 does massive damage to finish. I avoid s3 unless fighting evade heavy enemies. A ten stack is like having an armor break on the enemy. Duped his power gain is amazing. Unduped he is still good but not godly.
  • kranders wrote: »
    A ten stack is like having an armor break on the enemy. Duped his power gain is amazing. Unduped he is still good but not godly.

I can only think of Waspinator or Ultra Magnus' SP1 as consciously 'undodgeable' so I get that but as you have a fully maxed (almost) Prowl, who do you automatically without thinking play him against in Arenas for example. Who do you decimate?
    kranders wrote: »
    A ten stack is like having an armor break on the enemy. Duped his power gain is amazing. Unduped he is still good but not godly.

I can only think of Waspinator or Ultra Magnus' SP1 as consciously 'undodgeable' so I get that but as you have a fully maxed (almost) Prowl, who do you automatically without thinking play him against in Arenas for example. Who do you decimate?

In arena basically anyone. If he’s duped you should get to s1 before the opponent at which point it’s hard to lose. While his buffs are charging the first hit of his ranged has a better chance to stun so it can help with some of the tough bots like MM and MT going unstoppable. If you keep up stacks you can kill BC fast enough before taking too much. You’re a bit right in your assessment but the strategy of controlling any of the bots specials is fun to me. He actually worked better for me on Expert missions against Gal and MT because they never got a special attack. To me his only truly bad matchups are in AM and it’s Rhinox and BC because of their health.

Before I had his 4* I did r4 my 3* sig level 1 because I found him that good. Made raiding easy.
  • I really think he's niche, whether by design or not. His power control is much worse usually than Barricades, who may let one low special go before lockdown but will also usually compensate with a backfire (and total control from then out). I think Prowl seems more designed to still mostly power control when the opponent has a power gain node/mod/ability. Which accentuates the sp1 playstyle is using him correctly really.
  • Rhinox. Yes. I was hoping someone mentioned him. BC doesn't seem AS hard despite his class as I've gotten the hang of dodging (not to mention BC has always been one of my 'three') but Rhinox is a drudge (maybe its in the game files that he prefers to hold point). His SPs aren't really a problem - he just wears me down.
    I love controlling the specials. I either 'park the bus' or go full on 'Brazil' (score more hits than they can take) - Prowl just seems specifically tailored to this and getting to grips with it is a learning experience.
    I just managed to beat IH (backed up with synergies from I think Arcee) with half life just by dodging by default (buffing) on his SP1s and then built to SP3 to stop the threat. It worked but it must have lasted 4 minutes in total the entire fight.

Thank you for the advice there. Perhaps I just wish he'd have 'bleed' abilities.
    I really think he's niche, whether by design or not. His power control is much worse usually than Barricades, who may let one low special go before lockdown but will also usually compensate with a backfire (and total control from then out). I think Prowl seems more designed to still mostly power control when the opponent has a power gain node/mod/ability. Which accentuates the sp1 playstyle is using him correctly really.

I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion unless you're playing with an unduped Prowl. Duped Prowl, no other bot has better control. I'd say maybe 90% of the time the AI doesn't get a single special when I play, maybe only SW if he hits a heavy. Barricade you're talking about landing backfire then perhaps controlling from then on with Barricades s2, which you have to get to first. Granted my prowl is now Sig 15 but I charge to 10 land 1 ranged, 1 5-hit combo and my s1 is full. Sig level 5-10 it's maybe two combos or charges. If anything Barricade is more niche trying to control with backfire, but everyone has an opinion. The only time I ever get thrown off is Prowl's auto-evade.
  • SupraliminalSupraliminal Posts: 143
    edited October 2017
    kranders wrote: »
    I really think he's niche, whether by design or not. His power control is much worse usually than Barricades, who may let one low special go before lockdown but will also usually compensate with a backfire (and total control from then out). I think Prowl seems more designed to still mostly power control when the opponent has a power gain node/mod/ability. Which accentuates the sp1 playstyle is using him correctly really.

I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion unless you're playing with an unduped Prowl. Duped Prowl, no other bot has better control. I'd say maybe 90% of the time the AI doesn't get a single special when I play, maybe only SW if he hits a heavy. Barricade you're talking about landing backfire then perhaps controlling from then on with Barricades s2, which you have to get to first. Granted my prowl is now Sig 15 but I charge to 10 land 1 ranged, 1 5-hit combo and my s1 is full. Sig level 5-10 it's maybe two combos or charges. If anything Barricade is more niche trying to control with backfire, but everyone has an opinion. The only time I ever get thrown off is Prowl's auto-evade.

Because Barricade drains a LOT more power, and steals enough of it for himself that he'll always be able to use before the enemy can (back to s1 power from steal). It also actually hits hard. Supposing you do mess up, somebody is punished with a backfire for sneaking in an s1. That all equals absolutely much better power lock than dinking away with Prowl's S1. So unless you are facing a bot that can S3 before Barricade can get to S2 (niche), Barricade has vastly superior power lock.
  • TragicvisionTragicvision Posts: 22
    edited October 2017
    Because Barricade drains a LOT more power, and steals enough of it for himself that he'll always be able to use before the enemy can (back to s1 power from steal). It also actually hits hard.

Wait, that actually makes sense. Again, I'm using my scout inexperience here but surely Barricade can **** up Prowl's modus operandi? Especially as he's the quickest scout who isn't Sideswipe?
    As I mentioned, Bonecrusher is easy with Prowl even on half life but that makes sense.
    Again I ask, is Prowl vulnerable to certain bots?
    I'm going to be a bit out there but surely ALL scout bots have THAT advantage of building power (+Soundwave)

edited October 2017
    Because Barricade drains a LOT more power, and steals enough of it for himself that he'll always be able to use before the enemy can (back to s1 power from steal). It also actually hits hard.

Wait, that actually makes sense. Again, I'm using my scout inexperience here but surely Barricade can **** up Prowl's modus operandi? Especially as he's the quickest scout who isn't Sideswipe?
    As I mentioned, Bonecrusher is easy with Prowl even on half life but that makes sense.
    Again I ask, is Prowl vulnerable to certain bots?
    I'm going to be a bit out there but surely ALL scout bots have THAT advantage of building power (+Soundwave)

If you're talking Prowl v Barricade then no, because if you know what you're doing Barricade will never get to s2 to begin with... to be frank you're crazy if you think Barricade is better at controlling and you're just not playing Prowl the right way if you're "dinking" away with s1. Prowl's damage comes from melee with buffs. So while you're waiting to get your s2 and hoping they trigger backfire I've probably landed two s1s along with multiple combos at a 10 melee stack. Not to mention the chance to stun. Also if you're throwing in these other factors with Barricade, Prowl's s2 does vastly more damage. I very rarely judge people for their opinions but you have no idea what you're talking about with Prowl. There is a reason why people rank him at the top.

The only tricky part fighting Barricade, with any bot, is his evade after knockdown. Also I think Barricade is great and fun to play but your comparison makes no sense.
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    edited October 2017
    Barricade drains a lot LESS power than Prowl because Barricade needs two bars to drain 1/3 while Prowl can already fire two S1's AND cut enemy's power flow by 15%.

As a side note, UM's S1 is fairly easy to dodge. Don't hurry, wait for him to raise the hammer and when it falls, sidestep and you're good. Wasp's S1 is a bit tricky and requires some anticipation, luckily the start motion of that special is far too long. If you can backstep MV1 OP's S1 out of instinct, you'll do well dodging Wasp. It is important to keep your eyes on the enemy instead of your bot. You can launch auto-fight and get cozy studying enemy's pattern.

There's a fighting game technique called "hit confirm" which can be somehow borrowed into TF2F. When you knock down the opponent with a ranged heavy in melee range (for example, 4-hit-combo followed by a ranged heavy which connects), you usually have a short frame advantage, that is, the enemy gets up from the ground a bit later than the end of your heavy motion. At that time, don't press block, instead, let your bot run forward a single step and immediately send a light punch (or slash) against the rising enemy, then hit confirm the result of this, which can be:
    1. Enemy getting up and tried to sidestep. Of course your hit will land. Get going!
    2. Enemy getting up and block. Well, you still have the control, try 4-hit-combo followed by a ranged heavy again and see what it gives. Another trick can be "4-hit-combo followed by a sidestep then a light punch" and see how the enemy reacts. Although you may get punished right away, enemies often sidestep with you and eat the punch, and when they do, you can do another 4-combo and repeat this many many times.
    3. Enemy getting up and throw out a Special! You may think it's the worse scenario but no, your light punch may whiff but if you press block, you'll get the special blocked! That's because Specials, invulnerable though, usually have longer starting motion and when its hit box appears, your light punch has already finished and you're in the neutral state. In Street Fighter for example, this is where we apply the "safe jump-in" against shoryuken's. In this game, this is how you keep the enemies at their half of the ring. And as other posters have stated, enemies under pressure tend to retaliate with their specials.
  • Barricade drains a lot LESS power than Prowl because Barricade needs two bars to drain 1/3 while Prowl can already fire two S1's AND cut enemy's power flow by 15%.

As a side note, UM's S1 is fairly easy to dodge. Don't hurry, wait for him to raise the hammer and when it falls, sidestep and you're good. Wasp's S1 is a bit tricky and requires some anticipation, luckily the start motion of that special is far too long. If you can backstep MV1 OP's S1 out of instinct, you'll do well dodging Wasp.

There's a fighting game technique called "hit confirm" which can be somehow borrowed into TF2F. When you knock down the opponent with a ranged heavy in melee range (for example, 4-hit-combo followed by a ranged heavy which connects), you usually have a short frame advantage, that is, the enemy gets up from the ground a bit later than the end of your heavy motion. At that time, don't press block, instead, let your bot run forward a single step and immediately send a light punch (or slash) against the rising enemy, then hit confirm the result of this, which can be:
    1. Enemy getting up and tried to sidestep. Of course your hit will land. Get going!
    2. Enemy getting up and block. Well, you still have the control, try 4-hit-combo followed by a ranged heavy again and see what it gives. Another trick can be "4-hit-combo followed by a sidestep then a light punch" and see how the enemy reacts. Although you may get punished right away, enemies often sidestep with you and eat the punch, and when they do, you can finish a 5-combo and repeat this many many times.
    3. Enemy getting up and throw out a Special! You may think it's the worse scenario but no, your light punch may whiff but if you press block, you'll get the special blocked! That's because Specials, invulnerable though, usually have longer starting motion and when its hit box appears, your light punch has already finished and you're in the neutral state. In Street Fighter for example, this is where we apply the "safe jump-in" against shoryuken's. In this game, this is how you keep the enemies at their half of the ring. And as other posters have stated, enemies under pressure tend to retaliate with their specials.

That's still not really correct though... Barricade also steals back power, prowl does not, so after the initial power drain they can do additional ones at the exact same pace. The other difference being Barricade hurts a lot more when he does it. If you are simply looking for power lock with no other consideration than just the best power lock option, prowl ain't it. You'd have to find specific situation where his is better.

Barricade drains a lot LESS power than Prowl because Barricade needs two bars to drain 1/3 while Prowl can already fire two S1's AND cut enemy's power flow by 15%.

As a side note, UM's S1 is fairly easy to dodge. Don't hurry, wait for him to raise the hammer and when it falls, sidestep and you're good. Wasp's S1 is a bit tricky and requires some anticipation, luckily the start motion of that special is far too long. If you can backstep MV1 OP's S1 out of instinct, you'll do well dodging Wasp.

2. Enemy getting up and block. Well, you still have the control, try 4-hit-combo followed by a ranged heavy again and see what it gives. Another trick can be "4-hit-combo followed by a sidestep then a light punch" and see how the enemy reacts. Although you may get punished right away, enemies often sidestep with you and eat the punch, and when they do, you can finish a 5-combo and repeat this many many times.

That's still not really correct though... Barricade also steals back power, prowl does not, so after the initial power drain they can do additional ones at the exact same pace. The other difference being Barricade hurts a lot more when he does it. If you are simply looking for power lock with no other consideration than just the best power lock option, prowl ain't it. You'd have to find specific situation where his is better.

You've just negated your own argument. The potential to not allow any opponent special by definition means better control which Prowl can do and Barricade cannot. I love a good debate but you seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Moving on...

• kranders wrote: »

You've just negated your own argument. The potential to not allow any opponent special by definition means better control which Prowl can do and Barricade cannot. I love a good debate but you seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Moving on...

Really? 33% power reduction at the same pace as 15% power is better. Doing so while doing more damage is exponentially better. Barricade has 100% power lock just the same. I'm not sure how you would conclude any different, much less that I didn't know what I was talking about lol. Why would you WANT to drain less power while doing less damage? The only advantage for prowl is that the very first power drain takes a bit longer. That would never matter other than during niche circumstances.
  • Prowl is definitely better then Barricade at power control the fact that he doesn’t have to even hit you to gain power to do a sp1 is the nail in the coffin of that argument Barricade builds up the opponents power bar while getting to sp2 leaving an opportunity to get hit with a special Prowl just sits back and gains power and is instantly in control of the fight from there
  • Again, I'm not confident enough to view Scouts as my weapon of choice but I've faced both thousands of times (literally) enough to understand their moves and patterns. I'm asking for advice, not to be belittled. Barricade is simply a harder target as an AI NOT as a player controlled bot.
    Anyone noticed that Barricade's S2 often fails to connect with a 5-combo? I did the combo perfectly, the very instant his 5th hit (uppercut medium) connect, I hit special button and meh, enemy can block his front kick...
    Anyone noticed that Barricade's S2 often fails to connect with a 5-combo? I did the combo perfectly, the very instant his 5th hit (uppercut medium) connects, I hit the special button but meh, the enemy can block his front kick...