Home Bugs and Known Issues
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

60FPS and Typical Lag

that1guythat1guy Posts: 374
edited November 2017 in Bugs and Known Issues
There are times where I come across my device being able to play the game on ~60 fps where camera motion is smooth as butter except for bot animations; this has happened 4 times while I've recorded. I'm not sure how to replicate this, I thought I'd share this video I've uploaded to Youtube. The video also contains footage of when the game 'lags' which are always random and which ever game mode I play in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uZwFg_A0Bc

Please note as I was playing, I was on WiFi at home. Also note that I use Samsung's 'Game Tuner' app, and I dial the settings to 30% resolution, 60 FPS, 5% texture quality, and -4 for HW performance.

I use Samsung S6 Edge using Andriod 7.0.

Let me know if you need more info...
Tagged:

Comments

• SerapthSerapth Posts: 157
    If it makes you feel better, it’s happening to a ton of people. I have almost identical footage I can upload showing the same thing, game jerks to a halt for a couple of seconds. I’ve even seen it much worse where the game halts, but then it resumes for the AI for a few seconds while you have no control and get pummeled. I play primarily on a Pixel XL, but I’ve seen garbage performance on all of my devices.

First I can give the technical and most likely BS reason. Your own phone can steal resources from the game, causing it to come to a crashing halt. This generally is the result of resource intensive applications running in the back and is Kabams go to excuse. If you don’t have a bunch of crap running in the background and you restart your phone commonly, this shouldn’t be an issue.

Second, I believe TFtF is built on top of the Unity game Engine. A very common problem using a managed language like Unity (C#) is that it’s a managed languages, meaning that memory is managed by the runtime, not the programmer. So let’s say I need a say... sound effect. To use it I need to allocate it, then the runtime every once in a while cleans up items that haven’t been used in a long time. This process, known as garbage collection, can bring a system it it’s knees for a few seconds and would look EXACTLY like what you are experiencing. That said, there are ways around it, and if it is GC, it’s bad programming and beyond your control.

Finally, and this is my belief... I think for security reasons, there is a code that checks back to Kabams servers so frankly you can’t cheat. MCoC used to run awesome, until they put in anti cheating code ( once you could no longer reconnect and still get credit for a victory if you lost connection ). The minute this was changed, we started seeing tons of lag just like here. Basically your game is waiting for packets to arrive from their servers and as a result it’s hanging. This would explain why the problem comes and goes, it’s tied to network latency and the load on Kabams servers. It also explains why I see different performance between wifi and LTE connections, which simply should never be the case. It also explains why some people have problems and there don’t, even though they are running identical devices.

Either way, it’s most likely on Kabam’s end. For me it’s certainly getting worse.

• KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    I don't know what is the cause, but I find your video not as smooth as you hoped. Maybe it's because Youtube compressed it, maybe it's because iOS videos have more sparks and details, even those annoying pillars and boxes feel cool for an Android player. I'm sure your experience is better than what can be felt through this video.
  • Glad this isn't just me - I thought it might be a compatibility issue with the Samsung Note 8. I'm now curious whether performance is bottlenecked on certain devices or something - on my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet I never get high framerate performance, but the graphics themselves are incredible, with lighting, fog and particle effects that never appear on my Note 8, even though there's no reason it shouldn't be able to handle it...