Home Bugs and Known Issues
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!
Options

NVIDIA SHIELD K1 ONGOING ISSUES v2.0

Since the original thread is unbumpable for whatever reason now and has fallen off the main Bugs page, I decided to make another post regarding these issues that have still not been addressed since the release of v2.0 of the game.

I am having a hard time understanding the issues that this tablet is having playing this game because, by all accounts, this tablet is just as powerful than even an Ipad Pro - which this game runs very smoothly on.

Shield supports 4k Resolution - Ipad Pro doesnt
Shield has a 2.2GHz quad Core - Ipad pro has a single processor
Ipad Pro has 4GB Ram - Shield has 2GB

I feel that this issue is specific to the Shield tablet because I have played this game on my Samsung S7 phone, and really not had the same overheating/crashing issues I am constantly plagued with while playing on my Shield. I also play several other games on my Shield - including MCOC and Injustice 2, neither of which have anything close to the issues this game has. Im having a hard time believing that the extra 2GB of RAM the Ipad Pro has is whats making all the difference here.

To be clear, these are the issue I am experiencing with this game now (all of which have remained the same since Day 1):

- Tablet gets so hot, I cant even lay it on my lap after only playing for 30-40min.
- While overheating, the battery drains VERY fast. I have had the tablet go from 100% to under 30% while traveling on my train home, which normally takes less than 40min.
- The game will crash often. Sometimes the game will just crash when doing nothing, like doing base related stuff. And sometimes the game will crash while loading a fight - or, even better, while in the middle of a fight. This usually only happens after playing the game for 30+min, which has lead me to constantly closing out the game and restarting it just to try and prevent the crash.
- Unable to switch between apps while playing the game without the game restarting. On my phone, I can swap out of the game and switch to some other app for a min, and then switch back to Transformers and the game is still in the same spot it was when I tabbed out the first time. On the Shield, if you minimize the game and then pull it up again (even if you do it right away), the game will fully restart.
- Lag in general while fighting is always an issue. Regardless if im at home, at work or playing off my phones hotspot on the ride home, the lag is always the same. The game plays sluggish for some reason compared to playing on my phone or on a Ipad Pro.

The Shield is one of the best Andriod tablets around and this game plays like garbage on it, and it has played like garbage since day 1. People are rooting their Shield tablet and changing things like resolution settings to try and improve gameplay...that should not have to be done. It would be really nice if these issues could get some attention at some point in the near future so I can really enjoy playing this game on a reliable device bigger than my phone.

Comments

• Options
    ToxieAvengerToxieAvenger Posts: 68
    edited June 2017
    It's really sad how poor the performance is on the Shield devices in general.

Since the 2.0 patch, the game no longer works on the Shield Portable. Which is a HUGE problem for me, since it's my device of choice while on the go. I bring my Portable with me to work and clear out boss nodes in AM for my battlegroup. I can't do that any longer, or at least until they get it working again.

With my Shield K1 Tablet, I play in Console Mode (hooked up to a TV) with it plugged in to the charger. Since I don't hold the device, I can't comment on the heat issue you brought up. But I can tell you: the game seems to have an issue with the Nvidia Gamepad Mapper. I like to play with a controller and mapped the game to play like MCoC does. After about 25-40 minutes of playing the game, the system begins to lag up and the Gamepad Mapper will crash. The controls still work during this period, but you are unable to bring up the Gamepad Mapper overlay or use the Virtual Mouse controls (i.e. right stick mouse movement). Also of note: the gamepad is natively mapped to the Shield Controller, while TFTF is not for some reason.

I also don't experience crashing issues on my K1. Instead, I experience freezing during battles. The 2.0 updated seemed to help a bit with this, but it still happens. You will be in the middle of a match and the entire game just hangs up for up to 20-30 seconds before responding again. This is a nightmare in AM, as it will consume time off of the battle timer as soon as the device responds again.

Why is this title so poorly optimized for the Shield family of devices? MCoC has special graphics options for the Shield and works out of the box with the controller. Why are these features be absent from TFTF?

The performance is so poor that it is getting to the point where I'm debating on quitting. I already can't play on my device of choice, since the new update.

@Kabam: It's time to pull out the Shield devices you used in testing for MCoC and get to work on properly optimizing TFTF fellas.
  • Options
    That is very odd. I replied, talking about my issues with the Shield Portable and Shield K1 Tablet @Stitch626. But when I edited the post just now, it disappeared and said it's being held for moderation.
  • Options
    Since my other post was removed, without any indication as to why, I'll give a quick synopsis of what I said.

The 2.0 patch broke the game on the Nvidia Shield Portable. The Portable was my device of choice for gaming on the go. I'd bring it with me to work and clear the boss nodes in AM for my battlegroup. I can't do that anymore, or at least until it gets patched.

The Nvidia Shield K1 Tablet issues are rampant. Since I play the game in Console Mode, I can't comment on the heat issues that you brought up. I can report that I experience random hang-ups during gameplay, for up to 20-30 seconds. During this time, the game is completely unresponsive. It happens in the middle of a battle, after about 25-40 minutes of in-game time. The device itself is responsive, but the game stalls out completely. Eventually, it catches back up with itself. But the big problem is when this happens during AM, as every battle is on a timer. When the game freezes, the counter is still going, and the time gets consumed whenever the game finally begins moving again. That's a HUGE problem in AM.

To make matters worse, MCoC was optimized for the Shield K1, with special graphics effects, as well as natively mapped controls. Why have these features been abandoned with TFTF?

The current state of the game on Android has me close to quitting. I've already lost the ability to play the game on my device of choice (Shield Portable) with the latest patch. If things don't start improving, I'm going to stop wasting my time and money.

@Kabam: Pull the Shield devices that you used for testing/optimizing MCoC out of the closet and PLAYTEST TFTF. Do you really think that the level of performance is acceptable for the most powerful Android device on the market? Because I don't think so...
  • Options
    SepSep Posts: 22
    edited June 2017
    I think nVidia helped Kabam with optimisation for MCOC at some point. The very latest patch appears to have made a difference to me, but it may just be wishful thinking.

The Shield struggles with CPU heavy games that aren't optimised to use the stonking GPU effectively.
  • Options
    STORMZZSTORMZZ Posts: 57
    Totally agree with the above, pretty sick to death with it so gave up moaning about it, can any Shield K1 users tell me if they've customised their Performance settings in App optimisation, and what they are?...and have they helped? Cheers in advance.

On Mcoc App optimisation it now allows me to select " Let Nvidia Optimise" so have been using that for a day and it runs pretty smooth...even though i haven't played for months.
  • Options
    Stitch626Stitch626 Posts: 286
    I would also add that trying to type in any chat using the Shield is the worst experience I have ever had in a game like this. The keyboard pops up for a second then auto-minimizes right away...making trying to chat in the game nearly impossible. If I try using chat right after a restart, it will sometimes work for a few minutes, but if I have been playing the game for 20+min, then it will never work.