Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

3 weeks in - my experience as an MCOC vet

Hi all, so I've been playing high level MCOC for 2 and a half years, which means I had a decent grounding before I started playing this game. I knew what I'd need to do to get started, the fighting concept was familiar and I had a clear idea of how to progress etc. I started on the 9th October, spent a bit to get started and after 3 weeks I thought I'd share my thoughts! (my IGN is Terror-X if anyone would like to see the progress I've made)

POSITIVES
3d fighting is a great concept. I also like that you don't have to unlock anything to dodge and evade, encouraging skilled play.

The concept of forging also encourages a thoughtful approach to roster building and another element rather than just popping crystal after crystal to dupe and that's it. I think there is a good variety of bots that have varying strengths and weaknesses as well, which is good.

Base is a pretty welcome change and raids are cool too.

The mastery setup seems great - I quite like the limited options and the fact the limited points almost forces you in to a specific "build"

NEGATIVES
3d fighting as good as it is, also seems to bring a whole host of problems. Seems very inconsistent as to the range at which ranged attacks can be used or not used. Dashing in after ranged attacks often misses, evading attacks with a dodge or a dash seems like a lottery as well - watching the AI and trying to replicate is hopeless, they are like Neo.

The AI seems to have very inconsistent modes - sometimes it goes insane, sometimes it is really easy. It's a bit strange and it also does a lot that a player just cannot do, which is very frustrating.

I use an Iphone 7 plus and this game TANKS my battery. It also makes my phone overheat like crazy, which results in very poor game performance, making it unplayable. Oddly, this seems to only happen during raids. This is quite concerning.

This game also seems to be prone to more freezes and bugs than MCOC, like delayed loading, game freezes and restarts etc - it's a bit strange and seems to come out of the blue.

The support team are even worse than MCOC. I sent a ticket regarding the fact I don't have an ingame login calendar and was met with ridiculous answer after answer that was no help. I was even sent a link to the MCOC suggestions page so I could give the game team helpful suggestions...
NO LOGIN CALENDAR. Yes, apparently certain players don't get login calendars and I am one of them. I will be making a whole new topic on that next!

The alliance scene is either very active or total inactive - there is nothing for mid level players that would allow them to make any progression at all. Progression seems slow at best, which I have no issue with, but it can't be made so slow and impossible that it puts players off.

ARENAS. Why do they suck so much? Why is it the same arena day after day after day? The rewards are utterly terrible and seems to make gathering resources nigh on impossible. Where are the arena chips? How are you even meant to get gold?!

AM map - the 3d view is good but makes it quite hard to see what needs to be done up ahead or who has done what behind - makes managing it quite difficult and seems counter productive. The option to switch between a 3d view and an overhead view would be awesome - providing it doesn't melt peoples phones.

Anyway, bit of an essay, but in summary I think the game has massive potential - I'm surprised it hasn't overtaken MCOC in popularity if I'm honest. I would definitely consider sticking with this game for the long haul, but this lack of a login calendar is a bit rubbish - especially when I know others have it. The overwhelming amount of negative points for me also makes me consider whether it's worth it or not - maybe I'll do another one in another 3 weeks...

Comments

• arenas used to be awesome but stupid tf team said the old system is to confusing for new players but a new player having truble with the new one major fail by the team
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    I'm not having trouble but it seems like a terrible system. I would say the majority of players must have experience with mcoc surely, and as a lot of this game must be modeled on it and shares a lot of similarity, it seems ludicrous to have such a vastly inferior arena system
  • MustangjonMustangjon Posts: 1,146
    They tried balancing game so more people could get feature bots than ever before tff doesn’t have player base mcoc has features here before had top 5 got full bot rest just got shards for regular 4* crystal.

As well they made it so players don’t have to just grind arena. But if people continue to assume this goes by mcoc rules your going to be disappointed it’s been pulled further and further away from its sibling. And have played both the big picture is the game is more rounded now
  • KittenPrimeKittenPrime Posts: 1,144
    Obi-Wan never told you what happened to the arenas..
    He told me YOU killed them!
    No. I am the arenas...
    That's not true.. That's impossible!
  • The ongoing bug issues and overheating is an ongoing thing. Apple and Samsung phones tend to be the two biggest hit. I still say it's a work in progress. A lot of phones out there to try and optimize the game around plus the 3D arena and combat is not doing them favors.

As for the 3D arena, you will get used to it. Most mcoc vets I know took 1-2 months before they really got adjusted to the differences between the two games arenas. The issues you listed, for most part, just take time to get used to. Eventually you will adjust and be sidestepping and dashing like a pro.

On a side note, when you dash in, DO NOT, tap again until you swing. What you're experiencing is the dash, then you tap again causing the dash to stop and you swing causing you to whiff. Happened to all of us. And when the enemy dashes at you, wait for them to dash, then sidestep. Same with ranged. Getting jumpy and sidestepping too soon will still see you eating an attack.

Welcome to the community. Hope to see you around in-game and out.
  • This is the typical "mcoc vet" post, just so you know ;)

And... I echoed a lot of your feelings when I started playing this game back in beta... but honestly this is a different game, and definitely a better game. There are improvements that can certainly be made, but part of it is realigning your own expectations and some of its deficiencies can be met by changing your approach (for instance, raising issues here on the forums is 100x more effective than on mcoc, and far more effective than going through in-game support).

All in all, I think you will soon realize you far prefer this game to MCOC. The only thing it is really missing is the player base.
  • tekkn1kal wrote: »
    All in all, I think you will soon realize you far prefer this game to MCOC. The only thing it is really missing is the player base.

That and game stability....which can go hand in hand with each other.
    I do prefer it to MCOC due to the roster development - It allows you to employ a philosophy rather than mindlessly grind or pop crystals.

I also prefer the skill element.

Game just needs ironing out and a few things sorting, like not having a Galvatron arena a million days in a row and some better way of getting gold or better incentive to play arena.

AM rewards look hopeless unless you get top 3 as well!
  • I've run a top 30 alliance for a long while and we all enjoy our AM rewards greatly.

Arenas used to be a far better source of gold. You actually only just missed seeing old by a couple weeks. As for the week long Galvatron? Yeah, it still needs fine tuning.
  • DaveJL wrote: »
    I do prefer it to MCOC due to the roster development - It allows you to employ a philosophy rather than mindlessly grind or pop crystals.

Game just needs ironing out and a few things sorting, like not having a Galvatron arena a million days in a row and some better way of getting gold or better incentive to play arena.

Those featured bot arenas are simply one of the means to gaining chips to buy a 4* GT at the end of the month. It is an alternative setup to making it be only the top grinders getting the 4* featured bot like in MCOC.

Those arenas specifically run every other week. On the alternative weeks we get different arenas.
  • DirculesDircules Posts: 509
    DaveJL wrote: »

The AM rank rewards aren't all that great. The best rewards are in completing every day 100%, rank rewards are a nice bonus. Push as high as you can and you'll get rewarded appropriately.
  • TerminalTerminal Posts: 789
    edited November 2017
    He's right about AM, there's no middle ground.

They increased the free difficulty to 15 and nothing changed. The alliances just all did 15 instead of 5 or whatever it was before, they're not bothering to push or compete.

Diff 15 gives an alliance top 150 rank, that's crazy.

AM is only working effectively for a few. The majority aren't bothering with it. It's just too complicated. Ineffective in game communication, gold costs, tracking who has donated, tracking where people are in the bg, even just seeing what's been defeated or not, plus lacklustre rewards for the middle means they don't bother, leaving competition minimal and only amongst the very top.

I think AM would be awesome as the focus of the game but the way it stands, the problems it has and the rewards it offers, just makes it a mediocre side quest for the masses.

There are many ways to improve it and add features to it, it needs a bit of an overhaul if it's going to take centre stage as the crown jewel of forged to fight.

It's a shame that less than half (maybe only a third based on the rankings?) of the player base actually try in AM, it could be so much more, and so much more fun.
  • Terminal wrote: »
    He's right about AM, there's no middle ground.

They increased the free difficulty to 15 and nothing changed. The alliances just all did 15 instead of 5 or whatever it was before, they're not bothering to push or compete.

Diff 15 gives an alliance top 150 rank, that's crazy.

AM is only working effectively for a few. The majority aren't bothering with it. It's just too complicated. Ineffective in game communication, gold costs, tracking who has donated, tracking where people are in the bg, even just seeing what's been defeated or not, plus lacklustre rewards for the middle means they don't bother, leaving competition minimal and only amongst the very top.

I think AM would be awesome as the focus of the game but the way it stands, the problems it has and the rewards it offers, just makes it a mediocre side quest for the masses.

There are many ways to improve it and add features to it, it needs a bit of an overhaul if it's going to take centre stage as the crown jewel of forged to fight.

It's a shame that less than half (maybe only a third based on the rankings?) of the player base actually try in AM, it could be so much more, and so much more fun.

This. A million times this.
    That is right - my last alliance ran AM with 10 members on difficulty 11, only 1 bg did 100% and still rankes top 200... that seemed a bit wrong to me!
  • MustangjonMustangjon Posts: 1,146
    DaveJL wrote: »
    That is right - my last alliance ran AM with 10 members on difficulty 11, only 1 bg did 100% and still rankes top 200... that seemed a bit wrong to me!

There are roughly 15k players ranking in arenas.

So that equates to 833 allies worth of people, so yes top 200 should be pretty easy to obtain. I’d venture to say not all those players are in allies. So say 750 allies -700 maybe

People are referencing mcoc playerbase once again for comparison. As well with difficulty slider sometimes a lot of alliances can be very close in comparison
  • SabugenSabugen Posts: 350
    you have much to learn about the fighting system young grass hopper.
    also Am rewards come in daily, not just rank. that's where it's at.