Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Expert Spotlight Mission Tips

Recently, i have considered giving expert a more concentrated shot by exploring some of the more difficult paths. At the moment i have 4 rank 3 4-stars (MV1, Ironhide, G1 Optimus and a Duped Drift currently waiting for a tech bot) What i’m looking for is strategies and overall advice. (Bot choice, side-stepping maneuvers, mod help etc.)

Comments

• KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    You can subscript to Youtube channels, big players there like iNightSkies.
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    Much like an AM team, you need to be focusing on putting together a good special mission team that can deal with mods just as much as the bots they're facing.

For example, ranged mods can be handled much easier by bots like Mirage and Windblade (or duped Grimlock if it's that lovely ranged shock mod they enjoy employing).

Hot Rod is a good choice for evasion mods and has a great synergy with Mirage.

Prowl is a good choice for any power gain mods and gives Mirage and Hot Rod great synergies (Soundwave could be a close second) or Barricade, but you don't find a lot of r3 and r4's of him around.

The OG/Ratchet synergy goes without saying for pretty much anything in Spotlight.

That said, bot choice is only half the battle. The other half is just practice, practice, practice. Go break a sweat against Mixmaster in RoK. Learning to sidestep and counter-combo is going to be your best strategy against those pesky reflect mods, so don't base your whole gameplay around tried and true methods like heavy spamming and leading dash-in combos with a ranged shot that will just reflect back at you and set you up to eat a combo instead of give one. You need to fill out your whole fighting repertoire. Heck, even learning to know when to use the block instead of a dodge sounds simple but still takes a lot of practice.

Read up on the bot abilities and skills very carefully because sometimes you can miss some things that will go a long way to helping you.

And lastly, don't get frustrated if you can't complete it. They really do mean it when they say it's not for everyone. Not everyone has 20+ duped 4 star bots and can pick and choose who they want to bring so just be patient and earn those sparks and 4 star shards and keep earning new bots that way. Eventually you'll have a decent enough roster and the skills from hours of practice to handle whatever they throw at you.

• ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    Learn how to successfully employ "confirmed hits" after knocking down a bot.

Three outcomes can happen when you do this.

1) It will immediately trigger another combo

2) the AI will block, which is fine... You keep hitting them and pushing them to the edge of arena to give yourself space.

3) They counter with a special attack.

Now, you would think option 3 is the worst outcome... BUT... once you know how to throw a confirmed hit properly, you can actually get yourself out of the way of many special attacks if you are ready to dodge.

The trick is, knowing which specials attacks are avoidable from a confirmed hit on specific bots, and which are not. This comes from experience.

For example. You can dodge WB s1 from a failed confirmed hit, but you can't avoid her s2.

You can avoid OG Optimus s2 from a confirmed hit, but not his s1.

You can avoid IH S1 but not his s2.

Practice in other games modes such as raids or story missions.

This isn't the ultimate tip to help you conquer Spotlights but it is a technique you can employ to help keep the momentum of the battle in your favour in the right situations.

• @Manthro

As someone that does this myself, I agree this works. I've had the best results with ranged heavies since the don't move so far back. If the enemy doesn't have a special, I time a dash in and punch them just as they get up having a 50% chance of them blocking or getting hit. if they blocked, then you have a chance to try again. If they have a special I jog up and throw a light punch before they're up. This often triggers a special that I then block or dodge accordingly.
  • You should be able to easily complete the first chapter with 4 rank 3 4*s.
  • You should be able to easily complete the first chapter with 4 rank 3 4*s.

I am specifically talking about chapter 2 and beyond in terms of exploration
  • Faithz17Faithz17 Posts: 842
    edited December 2017
    @Manthro aren’t all SP1s and SP2s avoidable? Don’t understand what you mean by failed confirmed hits?
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    edited December 2017
    Faithz17 wrote: »
    @Manthro aren’t all SP1s and SP2s avoidable? Don’t understand what you mean by failed confirmed hits?

He's talking about an FTG technique: meaty. Or hit confirm, but meaty is better in this case. The trick is using the frame advantage to align the final frames of your normal with the first frames when the opponent wakes up and comes out of the invulnerable state. If done correctly, either your normal connect (yay!) or your opponent immediately throws a special (boo!) but because your normal is almost finished, your ending frames align with the invulnerable frames of their special. When the hitting frames come, you are back to neutral state and can block.

I addition, I think every Sp1 and Sp2 can be blocked when your meaty whiffed. There are just some characters who better maintain themselves at close range after they knock down the opponent (Barricade's mid range heavy, Soundwave's SP1, etc.) These characters don't need to run in, or just need run in one step to give a normal, or have sword or long reaching normal (Grindor)

Check it in SF V
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmkJb_t3-Q0
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    Faithz17 wrote: »

He's talking about an FTG technique: meaty. Or hit confirm, but meaty is better in this case. The trick is using the frame advantage to align the final frames of your normal with the first frames when the opponent wakes up and comes out of the invulnerable state. If done correctly, either your normal connect (yay!) or your opponent immediately throws a special (boo!) but because your normal is almost finished, your ending frames align with the invulnerable frames of their special. When the hitting frames come, you are back to neutral state and can block.

I addition, I think every Sp1 and Sp2 can be blocked when your meaty whiffed. There are just some characters who better maintain themselves at close range after they knock down the opponent (Barricade's mid range heavy, Soundwave's SP1, etc.) These characters don't need to run in, or just need run in one step to give a normal, or have sword or long reaching normal (Grindor)

Check it in SF V
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmkJb_t3-Q0

Correct. "Meaty" hits is what I was trying to describe.
  • Faithz17Faithz17 Posts: 842
    Thanks @KillMasterC and @Manthro.