Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Prowl

HalloweendmHalloweendm Posts: 395
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
This isn''t the fighting but rather the story stuff involving Prowl--why is he such [Removed by Moderation] to everyone? The different special missions, main storyline I think, but just about anytime I see a scene with Prowl, he's smarting off to or just outright insulting anyone around him. Prime keeps him in line, but just barely--he doesn't really seem like the Autobots' second in command.

Is this a Combiner Wars thing with Prowl? He never acted like that in G1 or in TF Animated. Did I miss a personality downgrade somewhere along the line?

I suppose someone has to be like that, but it just seems odd to me that it would be Prowl. I'm more curious about this than annoyed right now, but it distracts me from the story to see him and automatically think, "ok, who is he going to crack on next?"

Plus, does it strike anyone as funny that he tells people in a fight "surrender now"--as he's retreating as far away as he can? I know its his special thing, but its just funny to see a cop telling someone to give up while the cop is running away.

Tagged:

Comments

• @Synthwave hit that nail on the head. It's kind of become a community joke that Prowl is kind of a jerk in the IDW continuity. While I wouldn't say that he's a "bad guy" in any way, I think of him as Chaotic Good, and this kind of personality causes him to butt heads with Optimus and other Autobots quite a bit, and makes him come across as a little abrasive.
  • MallowmanMallowman Posts: 125
    edited January 2018
    @Kabam Miike @Synthwave

[Removed by Moderation] a views pretty much every bot expendable besides prime. See LSotW. I’m hoping the combiner wars subplot of when prime, prowl, streaker, mirage and ironhide went can combiner they all inherited a little of all the others personalities.

The recent story in the new Optimus comic feels he certainly is a bit more heroic
  • Prowl was fairly abrasive in the original G1 cartoon as well given the genre of the time and what they could get away with. Not nearly as much as portrayed in the IDW comics but there are a few instances of it.
  • I haven't really gotten into the IDW comics. I pretty much stopped at Dreamwave and had a tough time accepting that they went under just when I had finally found what seemed to be the best stories and by far and away some of the best artwork. The only IDW I really read was the graphic novels of the All Hail Megatron series. I know some came before and after (duh!), but going by graphic novels that were released, I could never figure out the order so I stayed away. I know there are some interesting stories there, and I may explore them when I have more time, but its cool to know that's kinda how Prowl really is.

Thanks for the info!
  • One of my two favorite of the original '84 cast (Jazz being the other). IDW definitely took his bio and gave him a great AAA+ brilliant complex characterization from it.
    Hired_Goon wrote: »
    Prowl was fairly abrasive in the original G1 cartoon as well given the genre of the time and what they could get away with. Not nearly as much as portrayed in the IDW comics but there are a few instances of it.

A highlight to this was during a brief appearance in the 2-part episode of "Dinobot Island", where he rolled up so cold and nonchalant. I loved it lol
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    I haven't really gotten into the IDW comics. I pretty much stopped at Dreamwave and had a tough time accepting that they went under just when I had finally found what seemed to be the best stories and by far and away some of the best artwork. The only IDW I really read was the graphic novels of the All Hail Megatron series. I know some came before and after (duh!), but going by graphic novels that were released, I could never figure out the order so I stayed away. I know there are some interesting stories there, and I may explore them when I have more time, but its cool to know that's kinda how Prowl really is.

Thanks for the info!

The earlier IDW stuff is OK and definitely a must-read to know what's going on, but it really starts to shine from 2010 and on. You do get the occasional SJW tripe thrown into an issue from time to time that has basically tanked Marvel sales, but other than that, the writing is exceptional.
    Yeah just start with the idw collection hardcovers. The only plot that really irked me was the forced gender change of arcee.
  • Mallowman wrote: »
    Yeah just start with the idw collection hardcovers. The only plot that really irked me was the forced gender change of arcee.
    Say what? Arcee is now a guy?!
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    edited January 2018
    Mallowman wrote: »
    Say what? Arcee is now a guy?!

No, he was male and was changed into female. And he had a twin brother called... Galvatron!

@Mallowman I think Prowl becomes more manipulator type in recent OP stories. Well he was working behind the scene plotting against Optimus for so long a time I can't even remember.
    IDW restarted the universe from the scratch, taking famous characters as heroes but with completely rewritten story/character setup, along with many unfamous disposables from Japanese storyline. It's very different and some of the stories are definitely amazing if not judged from G1 cartoon worldview. They've run comic production for more than a decade for a reason, although it seems the current plotline is heading for a forced quick ending.
  • DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    Didn't Prowl eventually get Devestator on a leash in one story line? Combiner Wars maybe? I remember a story line that he was the only one controlling the big D
    @DrShotgun
    Scrapper was killer by spike (don’t ask) and bombshell crerebro shell mc’ed prowl and then formatted him into devastator. Prowl was freed and the constructions became his groupies because they got an insight into his mind and followed him back to earth and they continued to merge into prowlastator.

In combiner wars starscream was able to replace prowl with a repainted scoop. So devastator has his classic look back.
  • OP7842OP7842 Posts: 46
    Sorry for the off topic, but I've always wanted to start reading the IDW stuff, but never been sure where you begin, or what order. I've read all the classic Marvel (US and UK), and (I think it was called) the Autocracy series, but other than that, I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.
    edited January 2018
    OP7842 wrote: »
    Sorry for the off topic, but I've always wanted to start reading the IDW stuff, but never been sure where you begin, or what order. I've read all the classic Marvel (US and UK), and (I think it was called) the Autocracy series, but other than that, I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/idw-transformers-g1-reading-orders.803136/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers_(IDW_Publishing)#Chronological_Comic_Order