Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

How to play Shockwave

I'm having a really hard time playing shockwave. He doesn't seem to do much damage so is there a way to play around that? I've been building up to S3 and then unleashing it.

Comments

• BOFADBOFAD Posts: 481
    Block with him and add shock damage charges from projectiles. Using that in conjunction with his heavy attack add additional damage.

His greatest stength is teaming him in brain gain or with galvatron. He is more of a support bot, however if you are able to stick some extra shock charges from projectiles you can max the shock charge to 9 on special 3. In arenas I do this and pretty much wipe out opponents.
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    Really low tier I think. Pillow fist and Undo hardly procs on low sig level.
    Better try other bots.
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    his strengths are in his specials and everything needs timing properly. Basically you are either looking to block ranged attacks and land a special 1 or 3 with the built up charges, or you build to special 2 (which does a ton of damage) and hope to land a heavy attack after it because it gives you 3 charges (unless you are close to a special 1 and can get it quick enough).
  • For me, Shockwave only really shines if you're sporting the 5 man tech team. Shockwave is OP with the buffs from that. However, that's a total gimmick and I only bother using with low tier spotlight clearing.

Shockwave is best used to counter range heavy bots. As such, this makes him a pretty situational bot to use as there are much better tech bots to throw against melee heavy bots.

Versus range heavy bots, like BOFAD said, it's all about blocking and building charges. Rhinox is actually a really good pair with Shockwave for this very reason as normally Shockwave maxes at 3 charges from blocking(more at higher *? I only have a 2* to toy around with). However with Rhinox(who happens to be really good versus melee) synergy Shockwave builds free charges, 1 per star so a 3* gives 3 charges, every 25 seconds and these stack with the 3 from blocking range. This is why Shockwave is a bit pillowfisted. Half his dps comes from applying shock to enemy bot through Heavy, SP1 and SP3. Build those charges and throw a Heavy, SP1 or SP3. Whichever you can before charges evaporate.
  • woo224woo224 Posts: 180
    This all sounds like a good guide - that would be useful for the Transformers: Forged to Fight Wikia. General strategy guides for each Bots would make the wikia actually useful, and not just an archive that nobody but me cares about. So can anyone write up a strategy for Shockwave at least on the wiki?

http://transformers-forged-to-fight.wikia.com/wiki/Shockwave
  • He's under-powered right now mainly because he just doesn't do anything, and his one trait is really hard to use at high levels and raids. He's suppose to block ranged shots but 6 seconds just isn't enough time. When you consider all the requirements, he actually only has about 3 or 4 seconds to get the hit. I typically only try blocking shots when his S3 is ready. In those cases he can do some major damage to demos.

I feel like Shockwave is a developing character. As we get more Decepticons, he's starting to get more non tech synergies. If Megatron comes this December, I'm almost positive he'll have one with him as well. Hopefully something special but it may be a general armor boost. At higher levels Shockwave is better too because his rank is connected to his shock damage ratio. Rhinox is the best synergy at 3 stars and Soundwave seems like a great synergy for passive energy at 4 stars. Having these two on the team with a 4 star Shockwave actually covers for the lack of verity. Shockwave helps his tech ally destroy demolitions with their synergy to him make him strong enough to face whatever your team doesn't cover. Bring a warrior to insure that uncovered class isn't scout.

As for gameplay, be very picky of who you throw him against. Some bots are range addicted and others go for melee. All Demos with the slight question of Mixmaster are great match ups. Mirage is really OP but Shockwave is one with a small advantage. Just only use your S3 for specials because Mirage makes all energy special attacks practically harmless. It's the shock charges you want to get him with. Arcee is ranged but also has an agility buff so you can decided on there. In order to use Shockwave's charges, try to get a melee combo and hope the enemy blocks it. They have a significantly lower likelihood of dodging heavy attacks in mid block. I've tried rapid firing heavies and that doesn't work. The enemy goes into evasion overdrive when you have charges ready. Only once my charges are gone do I get a hit.

Alongside a small attack increase, I feel like Shockwave could use a buff to projectile speed and an energy debuff like power burn or power lock. That way, he could better use any charges he gets and manipulate energy as tech bots are suppose to do. I hope a bot balance update will some soon, but I get the feeling Kabam is going to let Shockwave hang for a while longer if not forever.

I still use Shockwave since he's my favorite character. He's one of my 2 rank 3 4 stars and he does rather well, but it's the kind of "done well" that can be done with pretty much every other bot. If the same traits and stats were given on a different tech bot, I'd neglect them without second thought. Just because the character is awesome is he worth dedicating to right now.
  • He's kinda niche in an imagined future where a heal block would matter (I assume). Right now his best use is to pair with Rachet (an all tech team is too much lol). If you are one of those people who likes to use Ratchet to clear a map all by himself to keep others alive for the boss... well now you can do some more respectable damage with Ratchet while you are at it. Best use for shockwave so far :P
  • Three months later and I'm still having a hard time with this guy. His charges don't last long enough for me to effectively use them. He isn't super great in arena either because he's only paired with two other brain drainers.
  • camaro57camaro57 Posts: 212
    edited December 2017
    He easy. Just use range attacks and when enemy get close punch. Go back then range. Once bar at 2 or 3 use special. I do this and win all the time.
  • I am so frustrated with Shockwave. Without brain drain he's such a pillow handed bot it makes me foam at the mouth.
  • KittenPrimeKittenPrime Posts: 1,144
    I am so frustrated with Shockwave. Without brain drain he's such a pillow handed bot it makes me foam at the mouth.

Jeez pillows? They’re atom bombs compared to what shockwave has! #justiceforshockwave
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    All tech bots are relatively pillow fisted if you try and fight with them like you would any other class bot.

Think of Tech class as being "technique" class ;)

Each bot requires you to use different tactics to lay damage on your opponent. The only one that does somewhat decent melee damage without buffs (like mirage) is Rhinox.

Ratchet is a ranged fighter.

Mirage is the ultimate utility bot

Soundwave is heavy spam

Shockwave is a counterattack bot. Block to gain charges, then lay waste with a heavy and watch the shock melt your opponent.

When you see his undo trigger, go full assault without worry until the timer stops, because any damage you take will be erased.

Not every bot is intended to land all crits like scouts and have high brawler attack ratings.

If they all played the same this game would be boring. Despite what players think, all bots have a use... Even Mixmaster. You just have to be willing to learn a different play style.
    Shockwave would be even better if his undo ability reversed block damage - that's such a big downside for me. Other than that, I actually like him.
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    I'm still learning Shockwave, but Ratchet got loads better once I stopped trying to play him like Mirage and learned how awesome stacking shocks could be. Really, every bot requires at least a little tweaking to match your playing to their strengths, the unique bots and the unique mechanics they bring are a big part of what makes this game so fun.
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited January 2018
    DaveJL wrote: »
    Shockwave would be even better if his undo ability reversed block damage - that's such a big downside for me. Other than that, I actually like him.

This is exactly my point.. Why are you blocking when undo triggers?!?!

There is zero reason to block with shockwave while undo is active unless you are near death or facing a special that will kill you and you aren't confident you can avoid it.
  • My shockwave is unduped so I don't have undo.
  • DavienDavien Posts: 758
    @Kabam Miike would appreciate if you'd buff Shockwave.

I recently ranked him to rank 3 4* and he's been a disappointment..
    Manthro wrote: »
    DaveJL wrote: »

This is exactly my point.. Why are you blocking when undo triggers?!?!

There is zero reason to block with shockwave while undo is active unless you are near death or facing a special that will kill you and you aren't confident you can avoid it.

because the timer is relatively short, so if I have to block towards the end of it, I would rather take the block damage than reverse maybe a couple of hits of a full combo
  • nomisunomisu Posts: 307
    :p
    Only true way to play him.....put him on away mission and watch him go.

along with mixmustard and hot dog

nomisu wrote: »
    :p
    Only true way to play him.....put him on away mission and watch him go.

along with mixmustard and hot dog
    Noooooooo hot dog is great trust me, he doesn’t even need dupe, just fire a deceleration, dash in for a 5 hit combo and get those crit rate buffs then fire off a special 2 and you’ll be surprised how much damage he can do. Plus he has good synergies with prowl, mirage and many other good bots.
  • nomisunomisu Posts: 307
    jokes aside shockwave does have potentially very powerful synergies.. only problem is that requires a full tech bot team
    nomisu wrote: »
    jokes aside shockwave does have potentially very powerful synergies.. only problem is that requires a full tech bot team

He can hold on with just ratchet. Block ranged to charge shocks then use a special 2 (it will stun due to synergy) then quickly use a heavy to apply lots of powerful shock stacks
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    The Galvatron/Shockwave synergy has been totally untapped in this game.

Trying running Starscream/Ramjet/Megatron(or Soundwave)/Shockwave/Galvatron in Spotlight and try Shockwave (heavies, ranged and sp3's).
  • He is good against low level bots. Don’t build your roster around him, his is merely a support bot. If your relying on blocking then hoping to hit with his heavy at high levels just be prepared for a long fight. While undo is great, you’ll need a super high sig in order for it to activate.

Plenty of better options for tech class. Bottom tier of all bots for sure.
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    I know I need to put in more time with Shockwave, but at this point I feel like my Prowl is a better tech bot than either him or Ratchet.
  • spend your time and resources with your best bots. Leave the crap ones for the arena or away missions.
    Synthwave wrote: »
    The Galvatron/Shockwave synergy has been totally untapped in this game.

Trying running Starscream/Ramjet/Megatron(or Soundwave)/Shockwave/Galvatron in Spotlight and try Shockwave (heavies, ranged and sp3's).

I run shockwave/galvatron and in raids I run shockwave/galv/cw mega - it's a super nice combo.

shockwave and ratchet is super nice too.
  • nomisu wrote: »

Exactly my point. He's (?) not as effective in arena.
    spend your time and resources with your best bots. Leave the crap ones for the arena or away missions.

Not that great for arena either.