Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Harder to place higher in ranks in arenas

I’ve noticed that it’s been harder to place in the higher ranks in the arenas (the more popular ones). Before, a certain score would get me in to 3-4% (and very occasionally 1-2%) now gets me 5-7% or lower. Is it because the people are just scoring way higher or less people playing throwing off the curve? Or more so a combination of both?

I finally got to a score that one of my alliance members was hitting the last few crystal bounties (including the 7 day one) and getting the 1-2% rank, but I ended up with 3-4% this time. With the bots I have, that was a pain in the butt — I had some extra time so I was able to push it a little more. I don’t think I could do it again in the next one, too draining.

Comments

• Less participation = higher score. If more players get just 2200 for the ticket, score wouldn’t go as high
  • Darm0kDarm0k Posts: 2,485
    Frugalli88 wrote: »
    Less participation = higher score. If more players get just 2200 for the ticket, score wouldn’t go as high

I guess I should get on my alliance member’s cases — the ones who said they stopped doing arenas because it’s too much of a hassle. I think they only do the featured bot ones tho’.
    The score went up in top. I know it from my personal scores.

Well, nothing I can about that. :(
  • The top 10 will always go up since rosters keep expanding but the % brackets will lower if more players just at least get the 2200 ticket
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    There were only 6000 people competing in the featured arena, asian region.
  • KittenPrimeKittenPrime Posts: 1,144
    #getinthepool !
  • I think it’s % of people playing that’s making it harder... If the rewards don’t increase soon, someone can take my 1-2% range practically always. I will still play arenas, just won’t grind
  • Well if you apply an occam's razor analysis, then fewer people probably isn't the problem. It could be, but it would also assume that only lower tier players (who only played to get the ticket for example) are leaving, and absolutely nobody from mid to high tier is. That wouldn't be the most likely explanation, or at least requires two assumptions to be true.

Rosters increasing are the most likely reason (and you can safely conclude that rosters actively increase). I'll use myself as an example, I have no trouble at all getting 1-2% doing 4 rotations in a day. Currently there are not yet enough bots to play 24/7 with the 3 and 4 hour timer, so 4 rotations is what you can do. You could actually do 5 rotations with 3*s and 4 of just 4*s, but that gets staggered so that you ARE actually playing all day, and I do not NEED to do that, so... just keep it simple and call it 4 rotations (if using infinite streak) :P.

If I am ranking a 4* trio to r4 or even r3, that gets SOME more points but mostly the time it takes to do that means I'm not ranking anything else either, so the points in 4 rotations do not fly up. However.... if it is time to rank up the 4*s that I have to r2 (and it has been)... that is a huge jump. R2 means they can participate in every rotation. that's what, 12k or more a match that wasn't there before? So for each new 4* r2 trio, that's 36k * 4.... the score I can do with a mere minimal effort (one more match every 4 hours) just went up 104k. I still even have 2 or 3 3* trios that are not r4 yet too, but given the 104k for adding the new 4*s to the mix, they won't be ranked until the 4*s are.

Anyway, most likely explanation would be just enough people ranked a new 4* trio to bump you.
    It’s like walking a mile on stones. If only Kabam could do something to motivate more people to play arenas.
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited January 2018
    Darm0k wrote: »
    It’s like walking a mile on stones. If only Kabam could do something to motivate more people to play arenas.

...Clever girl...

Haha I see what you did there ;)
  • RemmieRemmie Posts: 212
    Manthro wrote: »
    Darm0k wrote: »

...Clever girl...

Haha I see what you did there ;)

• Stitch626Stitch626 Posts: 286
    The problem has been that the veteran players with many 4* bots choose to participate in arena much more than the average lower tiered player or new player. As veteran players keep improving their roster, their scores in arena get higher and higher.

Case and point, when I first started, in order to complete all the milestones for the featured arena, it would easily take me over 20 arena matches to get to the 320k mark. Now, I can get to that mark in less than 15 rounds.

And since there is little to 0 motivative for new players or lower tiered players to participate in arena, the threshold levels for the different rank tiers gets higher and higher.
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    I agree with the above. If you're looking to grow the player base (let alone sustain it) it's becoming very obvious that this arena format is not the way to do it.

I'm not saying the old way was the best way, but this way isn't working. I hope they will consider a different method that will encourage and reward new players to join while providing a continuing incentive to existing players willing to do the grind.
  • I don’t know how all the math works so I’m just asking. Would splitting arenas help? Maybe 1/2/3*s back to a milestone system and possibly leaving a 4* arena under the current one.
    Or some other variation of a split? It’s insane to think anyone with lower level rosters would bother grinding against scores put up by the higher tier players.
  • SupraliminalSupraliminal Posts: 143
    edited January 2018
    I don't think this is what is happening at all actually, since I can get a lower rank (not score) than I could months ago and still be in 1-2% bracket.

More likely is the fact that ranking up just one new trio of 4*s to r2 over 4 rotations is over 100k easily obtained additional points. There still isn't enough bots to play close to continuously with these cooldowns, so I mean... one new team tacked on to end of a rotation is nothing in terms of additional effort for higher score. Still have three full 4* trios waiting to be ranked to 2 too (and three 3* trios waiting to be maxed for less impressive additional points). The base amount you get from just doing rotations (no energon bump) climbs rather steeply. Was like 1.25 million a few weeks or a month ago, is 1.69 million for me now. 1.273 used to be a 1-2% score in alpha (only did 3 rotations, was busy :P), but is 3-4% now because that used to get you under rank 60, now it is rank 101. While that's not enough to determine if more or less people are playing, it's enough to determine that more and more people are able to score that high for sure.
  • larriouslarrious Posts: 36
    edited January 2018
    It’s insane to think anyone with lower level rosters would bother grinding against scores put up by the higher tier players.

That's pretty much what I thought. Less than 2 weeks in, I've got 5 3s and the rest are 2s.

My results as follows:

70K? 31-40% bracket.
    30K? 31-40% bracket.
    20K? 31-40%, sometimes 41-50%.

Granted it's different arenas, but the picture looks obvious to me. Stop at 30K since you're not going to breakthrough. Besides, why play a game you can't win. There's no way I can fight OR worth the effort to go further pitting my 3s machines versus others' 4s.

• Faithz17Faithz17 Posts: 842
    For coveted arenas, in Asia region, to get top 10 is around 3 million. To get 1%, perhaps 1.8 million. I just aim for 5-7% with 700K if I have the time. I autorun streak 1-7, fight streak 8-15, then continue to autorun with my top 9 bots from there.
    larrious wrote: »
    It’s insane to think anyone with lower level rosters would bother grinding against scores put up by the higher tier players.

That's pretty much what I thought. Less than 2 weeks in, I've got 5 3s and the rest are 2s.

My results as follows:

70K? 31-40% bracket.
    30K? 31-40% bracket.
    20K? 31-40%, sometimes 41-50%.

Granted it's different arenas, but the picture looks obvious to me. Stop at 30K since you're not going to breakthrough. Besides, why play a game you can't win. There's no way I can fight OR worth the effort to go further pitting my 3s machines versus others' 4s.

That’s rough. I think in the crystal arenas you need to be at least in the 8% - 12% bracket to get a sliver of 4 shards. Hmm, I don’t know if there are any venues of getting 4* shards outside of the crystal arenas... are there?

Seeing the score larrious is reporting got me thinking about it being hard to put in milestones. Base it on the top tier players’ scores and it’ll be too high for newer players without a full roster. Make it lower for the new players and it’ll be too easy for high ranking players. I think they should be brought back for all the arenas, but how do you find that balance?

How do the milestones for the featured bot chips feel? Going by larrious’ score, seems like some milestones could be hit, but it’s still a ways to the last one. Is that enough for a newer player with a smaller roster to start building up in this game?
  • There are in the raid stores 25K for 100 4s bot shards. I didn't go for that cos I still needed the alpha sparks (still too expensive btw), and the t2 basics.

I don't feel upset about the competitiveness or futileness of it. I can do like 6-7 rounds based on my bots. 3 x refresh for 3x3s and (2x3s + 1x2s), if i win everything that's about 40-50K. That's when I stop. So I think it's not a bad thing per se to have higher ranking players win the best, just reflecting my thoughts on where best to invest my energy given diminishing returns sets in v quickly for new players.
  • Faithz17Faithz17 Posts: 842
    There are in the raid stores 25K for 100 4s bot shards. I didn't go for that cos I still needed the alpha sparks (still too expensive btw), and the t2 basics.

I don't feel upset about the competitiveness or futileness of it. I can do like 6-7 rounds based on my bots. 3 x refresh for 3x3s and (2x3s + 1x2s), if i win everything that's about 40-50K. That's when I stop. So I think it's not a bad thing per se to have higher ranking players win the best, just reflecting my thoughts on where best to invest my energy given diminishing returns sets in v quickly for new players.

Go for the 4* shards cos they are only available today. You can always continue farming for T1As tomorrow.
  • KittenPrimeKittenPrime Posts: 1,144
    They need to make it so that newer players are more willing to play arenas. They need a reason to play them because at the moment all they are getting is crap rewards and thier time wasted. This is why so many people want milestones back so more people can #getinthepool. Then new players will have something to fight for and the pool will grow = better rewards overall for everyone
  • Stitch626Stitch626 Posts: 286
    There are in the raid stores 25K for 100 4s bot shards. I didn't go for that cos I still needed the alpha sparks (still too expensive btw), and the t2 basics.

As mentioned above - you should invest in the 4* Crystals since they are only there for a limited time. The 4* shards being available in the Raid store is pretty rare, with it only appearing maybe once every couple of weeks or so. T1 Alpha sparks and T2 Basics are in the raid store all the time, so those should be secondary items you purchase with your crystals when a good daily item is in the store.