Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

What did they DO to Soundwave?

Something major is off with him. I know the heavy was bugged, but was his overall attack buffed??

Comments

• KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    Buffed? You mean nerfed?
  • HalloweendmHalloweendm Posts: 395
    I'm gonna go with buffed. Until recent update, I've been dominating Soundwave with my Windblade whether he was weaker or even 1 or 2 ranks higher. Now, even one that is more than 1000 power less than mine will take me down to close to half life.Their hits land first, their heavies strike first, specials activate ALWAYS right before mine.

• DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    Soundwave seems normal to me... I got a perfect fight against the second mini in AM and my soundwave seems normal, as well as every other soundwave I have had the pleasure to wreck
  • This isn't the first thread that has come up about Soundwave. I've talked to the team and they say that there have been no changes made to him, his animations, etc. If you guys have more info or see a pattern, please let us know so that we can investigate.
  • The heavy seems to have corrected itself to be MOST accurate, no offense but this is true whether it equates to a nerf or not soundwave lovers. What I mean is, the animation has a circular pattern, so the attacking edge looks like ) but before the patch you would be HIT as though the line wasn't curved, but instead was straight and the range was at the farthest end of the ) curve. Consequently, you couldn't sidestep the heavy before, even though you were clearly avoiding the VISUAL range of the heavy splash. Now you can, if it looks like you should be able to dodge it, and now you actually can. I realize that essentially nerfs him in that his heavy can be sidestepped, but more accurately it actually matches it's animation now, per the fact the animation sure looks like it can be sidestepped, and now you can. It always DID look like you should be able to, but sidestep never worked.

This happened since the large scale graphical alterations last patch. If there was no work done on soundwave himself, then I would suspect it's a result of literally the graphical work (and also another implication that it is more accurately working correctly now rather than incorrectly... just saying, and just cause it isn't popular doesn't mean it isn't true).
  • DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    Yeah I meant nerfed...either he was nerfed of opponents have been tweaked to evade his heavies....he's also been stuck with very sticky feet. I had to hit the special button 4 times the other day to get him to respond.
  • I don't think it's really a nerf, technically a correction. Just because it's not popular doesn't mean it isn't true, just saying. The animation always had a circular splash, so the visual edge was curved like ) BUT it previously hit even where the animation would seem to indicate that it would not... so although the visual animation looked like ), it hit like ]. You couldn't sidestep the attack, even though going by the animation you should be able to. Since the graphical changes last patch, the targets who look like they should be able to avoid the attack with a sidestep... now actually can. Assuming there was no work on soundwave, it would follow that the graphical work did it. And that being the case... I'm not so sure you could say he got nerfed anymore than you could say that a graphical bug leading to soundwave unintentionally hitting targets he shouldn't have has been corrected.

Soundwave lovers won't like that (because it results in a worse soundwave), but tell me I'm wrong about the animation always clearly did visually show that you SHOULD have been able to sidestep the heavy if you were a handful of steps back.
  • i have noticed a change as well, i usually use 4* R3 Soundwave against Shockwave end boss for act3 ch4 m6 farming ore and gold... the last couple days i have seen Shock sidestepping Sound's heavy (not retreating) which shouldn't really work with the splash damage. Not a huge difference, but definitely drags the fight out longer.
  • MaxBebopMaxBebop Posts: 481
    Soundwave was the exception to the range heavy attack sidestep avoid, because of the mid range it has, it’s not a cannonblast like Ironhide, Bludgeon and Megatron, which can be avoided by sidestepping, all other physical Heavies can be avoided by backstepping, Soundwave was the only bot that had a range heavy that can be avoided by back stepping, his heavy was a cone blast radius, just like UMs’ sp1, sidestepping resulted in a hit, to compensate for its poor range.

If this is going to continue then change laserbeak’s laser to one straight beam that shoots across the screen, then sidestepping will make sense to avoid.
  • Right, but as I was posting above, the animation is clearly a curved cone with an end like ) not ] , so I'm not so sure that now being able to dodge the attack if you sidestep into the area that should be curving away from you (and so by visual evidence, never was supposed to be hitting you) is exactly a nerf versus a correction, where gameplay physics now match gameplay animation. You still can't sidestep the thing if you are very close to soundwave... it's just now you can sidestep if you can sidestep into the area where the splash animation isn't at.
  • hoolienweehoolienwee Posts: 159
    First time i see AI can sidestep and dodging Soundwave heavy, when i have him corner.
  • m00nshinem00nshine Posts: 189
    Definitely a dramatic increase in bots sidestepping his heavy as others have mentioned. Literally go whole fights now without landing a heavy. Not like sidestepping never happened before, but a significant before/after difference I'm experiencing at arena above streak 20, AM above level 25, and expert spotlight. Outside those situations, I really don't see any difference in this.
  • Darm0kDarm0k Posts: 2,485
    Regardless of the Kabam team saying they didn't change anything, I'm missing a heck of a lot more Soundwave heavy attacks now than before. If the change wasn't to Soundwave, it was at least to the computer AI. I guess the later can be chalked up to the standard verbiage of bug fixes and improvements.
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    Darm0k wrote: »
    Regardless of the Kabam team saying they didn't change anything, I'm missing a heck of a lot more Soundwave heavy attacks now than before. If the change wasn't to Soundwave, it was at least to the computer AI. I guess the later can be chalked up to the standard verbiage of bug fixes and improvements.

I can understand since there are so many unintentional bugs and accidental fix and fix-caused-bugs etc. Like one programmer checked in a graphic fix which is in no way intended to nerf anybody....

But Soundwave reeeeally falls from god-tier to mediocre. Now he's on base defense. I'd rather use Ratchet.
  • DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    I also noticed I CANNOT sidestep his heavies, but the AI can. The expert level 1 Soundwave boss stuns when he lands a heavy, and even though I sidestepped many times, I got hit every single time.
    I'm honestly sad I've put so much work into him for him to become average at best now.
    Time for me to rethink my A team. I'm happy I just ranked Shockwave.
    Yea, my R4 100-forge SW is no longer worth of R5, to me he's just a mid-tier tech now that I'm looking to replace in my AM team.
  • DrShotgun wrote: »
    I also noticed I CANNOT sidestep his heavies, but the AI can. The expert level 1 Soundwave boss stuns when he lands a heavy, and even though I sidestepped many times, I got hit every single time.
    I'm honestly sad I've put so much work into him for him to become average at best now.
    Time for me to rethink my A team. I'm happy I just ranked Shockwave.

You can't sidestep very close, but neither can the AI. You have to be far enough back to where, if you were a new person playing the game, it LOOKS like you should be able to sidestep it. Then you can sidestep it just fine.
    Not sure about that, the AI is sidestepping the heavy immediately after a 5-hit combo and sometimes up against the edge of the arena. Can't get much closer in than that...
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    Soundwave's heavy has always been sidesteppable, it was just very difficult to do, timing wise. 5.0 made the AI better at, it's no big deal. The timing is something like when the first shot lands, sidestep.
  • hoolienweehoolienwee Posts: 159
    edited March 2018
    After some observation, it seems AI always successful dodge Soundwave's heavies if swipe up. So I also test myself and this works 90% (sometimes i get to dodge first 2 shots only). Swipe down always 100% get hit.

Just like against Shockwave, I always successful dodge his SP2 by swipe down. Swipe up will get hit.