Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Backstep/Sidestep Madness

What is with all the backstepping/sidestepping that seems to be spammed almost every fight over the past couple weeks or so?

And not just randomly done, but done to avoid each consecutive attack, and each done out to just the exact distance to be out of reach and then immediately done again regardless of how fast the next attack(s) come. I also had a fight with Mixmaster recently, I believe against my Hot Rod, and he avoided my S2 by backstepping about half the arena distance, and then turned it into sidestepping an equal distance, and it was done smoothly like he was ice skating, not backstep-stop-backstep-stop-sidestep.

I've also seen bots backstepping WHILE blocking, sidestepping WHILE shooting and/or dashing forward (so my ranged attacks whiz right by them yet they're able to hit me), sometimes sidestepping with each shot they fire, so I'm hit by a spread of shots and have no chance of my own shots hitting while if I manage a sidestep of my own, I still get hit.

This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it happens A LOT, and during most every fight. And combine this with bots with Evade, and bot with 200-400+ skill lower than me can wreck my bots in a fight. I've lost to Barricade and Bumblebee with much lower skill just because I couldn't hit them and the could connect with virtually every single attack.
Tagged:

Comments

• DirculesDircules Posts: 509
    edited July 2017
    Get good at sidestepping and back stepping too and you should have no problem. Always keep your distance, so they have to dash towards you to hit. If an enemy finally decides to dash towards you, and you sidestep, you can immediately hit them back with a 4-5 combo (unless they have some evade ability). Also while dancing up and down and backwards from the enemy, keep firing your ranged attack. If you notice at any point that the enemy fired 3 times, dash as fast as you can because they'll not be able to block.
  • BargBarg Posts: 23

No, it couldnt be that Kabam switch back to the higher derp settings a few weeks ago. No, that couldnt be it at all because every kabam apologist like this guy will just tell you 'get gud, lulz'.
  • DirculesDircules Posts: 509
    Also the entire fight logic is in the app and that hasn't been updated in a month
  • We haven't made any adjustments to the AI of the Enemy bots since the last update, but I'll ask the team to look into this.

Is this happening in every mode? Harder content only? Are there any bots in particular that are showing this more than others? Again, nothing has changed, but we can ask the team to see if something looks out of the ordinary.
  • DzSlootsDzSloots Posts: 87
    We haven't made any adjustments to the AI of the Enemy bots since the last update, but I'll ask the team to look into this.

Is this happening in every mode? Harder content only? Are there any bots in particular that are showing this more than others? Again, nothing has changed, but we can ask the team to see if something looks out of the ordinary.

Well the AI in the 3 star arena (which has been stated before) gets absolutely bonkers after a 30 win streak.

• PeyotePeyote Posts: 163
    Mike, this is not the first time we say that. We have been repeating this since V2 came out. Bots keep dashing backwards to avoid heavy attacks. And we are still waiting a fix on the special baiting as well.

As for the Bots getting into god mode after 20 victories in the arena, it has always been like that, so nothing new there.
  • StridurrStridurr Posts: 19

In arena, the bots with evade are ridiculous lately. Sideswipe, Barricade and Arcee dash around nonstop even when their abilities haven't been triggered. Bumblebee is on a whole different level. I've had arena Bumblebees that were completely unhittable.
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    Barg wrote: »
    No, it couldnt be that Kabam switch back to the higher derp settings a few weeks ago. No, that couldnt be it at all because every kabam apologist like this guy will just tell you 'get gud, lulz'.

Git gud, do better.. lolz

Your skills are weak. :smiley:
  • In arena after streak 9, raids, and AM, I notice AI will use one special, then will refuse to be baited and just keep holding til l3. Its pretty unfair since they refuse to be baited and when they are significantly stronger than me, the l3 is a forced loss. Cheap KOs are never fun.
  • Pofh1Pofh1 Posts: 50
    Ok so it's not just me. Evade ability kicks in way more often than my bots ever can, or just backstep faster than I ever can.
    Pofh1 wrote: »
    Ok so it's not just me. Evade ability kicks in way more often than my bots ever can, or just backstep faster than I ever can.

Yes it's quite..how you say..stupid.
  • Yeah, Kabam Mike, for me, it is happening on most content. I've already completed the easy version of the Grimlock/Megatron special mission, but the later end of that was just crappy. Happens to me in the 3 and 4 star arenas, daily missions, special missions, story mode. I don't know about raids since I don't do them and have no interest in them. In arenas for me, after about a 9 win streak the AI just gets ridiculous with all its backstepping and sidestepping, but yeah, other fights too.

Its really ridiculous all the stepping away, dodging at the last possible second, dodging without moving, Megatron transforming to a tank faster than anyone else--and back into a tank again and again before he even finishes going back to robot mode. Its hard to say this without it coming across as some sort of ****-fest, but the fights are quickly losing their fun.

I don't know, its like you guys started patterning their fight behavior from watching Mayweather.
    All jokes aside...

Many players (dare I say the majority) easily get to infinite win streaks in 4* arena without the use of energon, myself included.

When we say improve your fighting skills, we aren't trying to mock you.. We actually mean it.

Baiting specials is an art. Different bots and level ofspecials have a specific range where they trigger more often, or trigger reliably after a certain circumstance, like knocking them down with a heavy and dashing back from up close as they get up..

Change up your style, don't throw the same patterns. The AI does tune itself to your button taps. Shoot ranged at random times, dash in/out when not truly necessary, etc. Confuse the opponent.

Learn to block by tapping quickly instead of just holding it. You'll find the AI will drop it's guard or throw a special to try and hit you, so you can retaliate.

In arena your only goal is to win the fight, even by a narrow margin. Whatever it takes.

There's nothing wrong with the challenge, of it was too easy it would be boring
    The abilities triggering or baiting specials isn't the issue. It's them being able to dodge every time you try to counterattack and then dash back in immediately to continue their combo. I've gone on huge streaks so that isn't the issue for most of us. I wouldn't even say it's a challenge, just straight up aggravating.
    DzSloots wrote: »
    The abilities triggering or baiting specials isn't the issue. It's them being able to dodge every time you try to counterattack and then dash back in immediately to continue their combo. I've gone on huge streaks so that isn't the issue for most of us. I wouldn't even say it's a challenge, just straight up aggravating.

Soooo... I don't get the complaint then.. you're not having an actual problem with win streaks or beating the AI?

You just want it to be easy because it's annoying you that the AI avoids being hit and losing any fights at all "isn't fair"?

I used to think the same thing until I realized I am actually able to avoid getting hit way more than the AI, which is why I win more often than I lose.

Did you ever consider maybe the AI feels the same way about you avoiding the majority of its attacks? You probably hurt its feelings. It got mad. It punched your face.

TRON LIVES.
    I never said anything about it being unfair. If you don't understand my complaint then I'd suggest reading my post that you quoted one more time.
  • TrailfireTrailfire Posts: 590
    Seems like you're saying it's aggravating that the opponent dodges and counters your attack... that's fair enough I guess. I assume you're not asking Kabam to turn the AI into some kind of motionless punching bag. That'd make a pretty boring game. But if you're just saying, "damn, this game is a challenge!" Then, yeah! That's why it's fun :)
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    I see your point, the AI gets access to a lot of maneuvers that humans don't, and believe me that's frustrating, but the AI also needs advantages vs a human opponent.