Home Bugs and Known Issues
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!
Options

Expandable Memory (Android) CORRUPTION

@Kabam Miike @Kabam Vydious
With update 8.0, I've noticed an increase in RANDOM CRASHES, with atypical loss of life, energy, and so forth.

But a new problem has arisen; F2F, if INSTALLED ON PHONES WITH SD CARDS FORMATTED AS INTERNAL MEMORY (adoptable memory), HAVE A TENDENCY TO SWITCH SAID CARDS TO READ ONLY.

It has happened in the following, after multiple crashes
1. moto e5 plus (SD425, 8.1.0)
2. moto g5s plus (SD625, 8.1.0)
3. Oppo A3S (SD425, 8.0)

But not:
1. moto m (Helio P14, 7.0)
2. moto c plus (MT6737, 7.1.2)

As seen, this could be the way f2f files I/O alongside Qualcomm SoCs, as MediaTek chips remain unaffected thus far, despite similar antivirus, software installed.

Please investigate.

Comments

• Options
    Hey thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're getting eyes on this ASAP.
  • Options
    BlackRazakBlackRazak Posts: 2,812
    edited April 2019
    Hey thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're getting eyes on this ASAP.

@Kabam Vydious I've tried to reenact said issues, with minimal installed apps after a factory reboot on 3 said devices, with 3 different memory cards (originally happened on 3 Sandisk U3 A1 of 64, 128 and 200GB), this time PNY, Patriot and Mixza, all UHS-1, U3 rated.

Both the PNY and Patriot cards went to READ-ONLY mode after 2 and 4 crashes each on the moto g5s plus (SD625) and Oppo A3S (SD425) but not the Mixza on a moto m (P15).

I'm hedging bets on a Qualcomm, Android 8.0/8.1.0 and F2F optimization issue. Not a SD failure or manufacturer error.

I can see PLENTY going nuts as the affected devices can no longer write to disk, meaning no downloading, app updates, taking photos, etc.

In the meantime, deinstalling F2F from my actual personal and work phones as a safety measure.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Kabam Vydious
    Confirmed (unfortunately) this read/write capability set to READ Only is to do with the F2F update.

I've tried running f2f off of INTERNAL, with no MicroSD, and got quite a few bugs with logcat regarding writing to disk.
    Errors previously reported were on brand new, major OEM (Sandisk, PNY, Patriot) A1 class U3 micro SD.
    In one instance, the moto g5s plus' Sandisk 128GB was completely corrupted, with formatting doing squat, and even cache partition on PC ineffective. Thrashed.

I'm currently quite pensive running this game on any mainline phones as a result, as it could cripple the system.

Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    This is interesting my Moto G6 is set as you described and I have seen it crashed, but can't confirm if it was switched to read only at time.

On my Android tablet with Mediatek, it is installed to internal memory.
  • Options
    This is interesting my Moto G6 is set as you described and I have seen it crashed, but can't confirm if it was switched to read only at time.

On my Android tablet with Mediatek, it is installed to internal memory.

Trust me, you'll KNOW if it were.
    No more taking photos, as device can't write to memory.
    No saving pics from chrome, no more downloads, no app updates, no DELETING music: EVERYTHING connected to write to disk.

Had to move all apps to internal, then reformat SD.
    On the Oppo A3S, it couldn't even recognize it's own SD any longer.
    As I've stated, no issues (yet) with internal install or MediaTek devices running 7.1.1 and 7.0.

Now imagine if i were one of the whiny, entitled commenters here.
    I'd be billing Kabam for the 5 sacrificed SDs!

@Kabam Vydious perhaps for all my good deeds i deserve a *cough*4* Thundercracker*cough* 😂
  • Options
    Bi1b0BagginsBi1b0Baggins Posts: 1,049
    Just curious if tftf ever ran, without significant lag, from an SD card? If so, consider me surprised.
  • Options
    VoltronVoltron Posts: 998
    Just curious if tftf ever ran, without significant lag, from an SD card? If so, consider me surprised.

It runs better for me on the SD card. If it was on the internal drive, the skips and lag are tenfold. My SD card is 4 times the storage as my internal. The fluidity is horrible (I think that's all Android).. ..I revert the app back to internal a couple months back to see if fluidity was better but I had skips/lags within in the first fight.

• Options
    Bi1b0BagginsBi1b0Baggins Posts: 1,049
    Voltron wrote: »

It runs better for me on the SD card. If it was on the internal drive, the skips and lag are tenfold. My SD card is 4 times the storage as my internal. The fluidity is horrible (I think that's all Android).. ..I revert the app back to internal a couple months back to see if fluidity was better but I had skips/lags within in the first fight.

This sounds sketchy. Maybe by running from the SD card you are forcing some kind of optimization to counteract the slower access speeds?
  • Options
    VoltronVoltron Posts: 998
    edited April 2019
    Voltron wrote: »

This sounds sketchy. Maybe by running from the SD card you are forcing some kind of optimization to counteract the slower access speeds?

I think (assume) my issue is more of a cache thing...my phone doesn't do adoptable and the 256 SD card was the fastest (at the time). By moving this game and the other bigger apps over to SD, i'm just freeing more internal space for this game to hog. But inline with your thought, I was curious to see if having the game on the SD was causing the fluidity issues....so I moved it back to internal. The lag/skip were too prominent for me to even see if there was an access speed difference.
  • Options

Even the MY2017, $80, MT6737, android 7.0 motorola moto c plus (2-16GB) runs the game perfectly well, on low-ish graphics, TODAY.

With 16GB (really just 9.5GB) space, and only up to 32GB adoptable, F2F was installed on this device out of curiosity, since the Nexus 6P stuggled on internal.

Ran smooth in 2018, runs well today.
    95% of my "achievements" were on this phone.

Only caveat is long loading times, if you don't reboot phone whenever you want to play.
  • Options
    Just curious, with the 3 said devices, what version of Android and when was security updates? Do you reckon a manufacturer that made the microSD card and branded it for Sandisk, PNY, etc...

PNY sells RAM upgrades for PCs, chips may be sourced by Micron, Samsung, or HynixSK, etc...

You know your stuff certainly, but I am curious if there was a common denominator.
  • Options
    @lightningbaron

UPDATE

SD Failure (all within 8hr of each other, after crashes on F2F 8.0, 04/08/2019)
    1. Oppo A3S, SD425, Android 8.0-Color OS, Sec. Patch Nov 2018, SD Card 64GB PNY Elite-X A1.
    2. Motorola e5 plus, SD425, Android 8.1.0 Sec. Patch Feb 2019, SD Card 128GB Sandisk Ultra A1.
    3. Motorola g5s plus, SD625, Android 8.1.0 Sec. Patch Feb 2019, SD Card 64GB Patriot LX A1 V10.

Still working (touch wood):
    1. moto c plus, MT6737M, Android 7.0 Sec. Patch Nov 2018, SD Card Kingston UHS-1 32GB.
    2. moto m, MT6755T, Android 7.0 Sec. Patch Sep 2018, SD Card Mixza UHS-1 64GB.
    3. motorola G7 power, SD632, Android 9.0 Sec. Patch Mac 2019, SD Card Mixza UHS-3 A1, 256GB.
    4. motorola x4, SD630, Android 9.0 Sec. Patch Mac 2019, SD Card UHS-1 A1, 256GB.

The devices with SD failure are all still running F2F, but now on INTERNAL MEMORY installation.

Regarding OEM, Sandisk is fusion-IO and sTEC produced, PNY uses Phison and Patriot Marvell/Indilinx.
    The China Tohaoll Mixza is JMicron.

@Kabam Vydious
  • Options
    BlackRazak wrote: »
    @lightningbaron

UPDATE

SD Failure (all within 8hr of each other, after crashes on F2F 8.0, 04/08/2019)
    1. Oppo A3S, SD425, Android 8.0-Color OS, Sec. Patch Nov 2018, SD Card 64GB PNY Elite-X A1.
    2. Motorola e5 plus, SD425, Android 8.1.0 Sec. Patch Feb 2019, SD Card 128GB Sandisk Ultra A1.
    3. Motorola g5s plus, SD625, Android 8.1.0 Sec. Patch Feb 2019, SD Card 64GB Patriot LX A1 V10.

Still working (touch wood):
    1. moto c plus, MT6737M, Android 7.0 Sec. Patch Nov 2018, SD Card Kingston UHS-1 32GB.
    2. moto m, MT6755T, Android 7.0 Sec. Patch Sep 2018, SD Card Mixza UHS-1 64GB.
    3. motorola G7 power, SD632, Android 9.0 Sec. Patch Mac 2019, SD Card Mixza UHS-3 A1, 256GB.
    4. motorola x4, SD630, Android 9.0 Sec. Patch Mac 2019, SD Card UHS-1 A1, 256GB.

The devices with SD failure are all still running F2F, but now on INTERNAL MEMORY installation.

Regarding OEM, Sandisk is fusion-IO and sTEC produced, PNY uses Phison and Patriot Marvell/Indilinx.
    The China Tohaoll Mixza is JMicron.

@Kabam Vydious

From what I've seen, it hasn't affected iPhone in any way, nor Samsung, correct?
  • Options
    @Hijacker2531 iPhones and iPads on 12.2 are crashing, especially when switching between fight modes.
    Samsung (higher tier models) aren't affected, as they mostly run files off of INTERNAL memory.
    Plus it took till yesterday for Samsung to announce they're adding ADOPTABLE STORAGE in their next batch of phones.
  • Options
    We probably haven't heard much about Samsung phones as most of their phones are neither Snapdragon or MediaTek when it comes to processor.

@BlackRazak, thank you for the details. It's very helpful, but does not seem easy to figure out a pattern here.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Miike
    I've purchased 3 different UHS-1 U3 A1 cards today.
    1. Transcend 300S 128GB U3 A1
    2. OSMR 64GB U3 A1
    3. Kodak 128 GB U3 A1

For use with the following (in same order)
    - moto ONE Power, SD636, Android 9.0
    - Vivo Y85 , MT6762, Android 8.1
    - moto x4, SD630, Android 9.0

Should i format as ADOPTABLE MEMORY and install F2F as previously, or placed INTERNALLY?

I can't afford to CONSTANTLY corrupt micro SD cards, this is an unpaid endeavor!

PS- still no sign of free 4* Thundercracker as token of appreciation for my year long work.
    Boo.
  • Options
    Hey gang -

Sorry for the wait on this. I was working with the team to determine the next best course with this. At the moment we'll keep an eye on what's happening with it and investigate when we can. If we cover more ground with it over the next while, we'll update y'all.

As for @BlackRazak's recent question, we recommend installing the game Internally.