Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!
Options

Mastery Setup Idea’s (For New and Vets Alike)

Odie21Odie21 Posts: 209
edited November 2017 in General Discussion
There really isn’t a topic that focuses solely on Masteries and the different types of setups you could have. Obviously like anything, the setups are effected by playing style and Commander Level but I feel it’s important for all players alike to see different types of possible setups and learn.

This is NOT a topic for criticism and/or insults, just questions/explanations if so needed. If you’re interested in contributing, please take screenshots of your O and D Masteries and a brief description to why you setup your Masteries the way you did. I’ll begin...

Since the beginning, I've changed my setup on numerous occasions and have spent an ungodly amount of gold doing so but based on the current Masteries available, I’m happy with my current setup.

I tend to get hit a lot and while some of my fights last a tad longer, but I’ve noticed a HUGE difference in how my bots fair in all aspects of the game. When I setup my Masteries, I tried to think of how these would help me in all aspects of the game (Raid, Arena, AM, etc), as opposed to just one or two. I’m big on Defense, so here are my setups:

tbvk3yfck7jj.png

soijjvtu1cv1.png

Comments

• Options
    If you use Warriors and Windblade, masteries for bleeding and debuffs will make them seriously overpowered. Masters of the Blade synergy group are the "kill all things" set right now.

I tend to be more defensive though. I'm holding onto some T2 mastery cores for the next installment of masteries, just in case they're more along the lines of what I need.
  • Options
    KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    I find your setup too unbalanced but to each one his own. I was putting all of my points into the Offensive graph because I didn't notice the Defensive tab back then :neutral:
    Now at lvl 47, I'm having a 16:14 setup. Some arguments of my choice:
    (Offensive)
    * The Sequencer is a must-have and must-max because nearly all of our specials are comboed specials.
    * I'm at 4/5 of Courage because that boost is the game changer, think of Motormaster's sig. If I get another point, I'll buy another three T1 cores to max Courage. You're talking about getting hit a lot, so you can often be at lower 50% health. Adding armor and resistance can only get you that far. It's the time to strike back.
    * I don't bother with Sniper and Counter Attack: buffing one hit in that short window is not appealing.
    (Defensive)
    * Willpower and Bleed Resistance are both crucial. Now I can fight HA-Grindor with OG Prime and ditch my Mv1 Prime.

Anyway, I think the game is all about output and end the fight quickly. If a player can land 10 hit before taking 1, ending the round at 10th hit give you a perfect round even if the 11th hit (from the enemy) is a killing blow.
  • Options
    I have put most of my points (Im level 50) in offence and maxed the crits. To each his own but I max Courage, Max crit rate and Max crit damage and pierce armour. Crit damage gives u much more bang for your buck.
  • Options
    I invested in Star Seeker when that mastery came out because the description made it sound similar to how Star Lord (MCOC) increases damage output when duplicated. The mastery is useful for upping the damage of lighter hitters, but since this game does not have a stun on parry mastery, its harder to rack up the large combos needed for the mastery to be really effective.
  • Options
    DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    I invested in Star Seeker when that mastery came out because the description made it sound similar to how Star Lord (MCOC) increases damage output when duplicated. The mastery is useful for upping the damage of lighter hitters, but since this game does not have a stun on parry mastery, its harder to rack up the large combos needed for the mastery to be really effective.

it’s so so expensive that I can’t justify it, but from what I have seen it is the only worthwhile mastery available at the moment.

the bot repair one that works like salve could also be somewhat useful if you are a really skilled player and don’t take too much damage between fights.

Beyond that though, unless you are prepared to buy energon or invest all free energon in masteries, maxing out the ones that don’t need cores is a sensible enough route to go.

I’m sceptical over double edge and willpower on this game - DE seems to do disproportionate damage to you versus how much you could recover, and without parry I can see a situation where the AI either sits on a special for minutes, as seems quite common, or just blocks and evades, which also seems quite common, meaning the ability to recover health is super limited.
  • Options
    Canuck33Canuck33 Posts: 244
    edited November 2017
    Here's a totally different look... not too expensive but you have to be good at dodging as it does nothing for me on defense. I really like pierce and the two crit masteries as a combo, you end up doing a lot of critical damage which is likely just as good as any of the higher damage masteries imo. Eventually I'd like to grab willpower or feeding frenzy but I feel the damage output for my play style is the way to go.

vxdbtm5uzabp.png
    7aler3aa1zuu.png

To add, my next 3 points are likely going into starseeker
  • Options
    Canuck33 wrote: »
    Here's a totally different look... not too expensive but you have to be good at dodging as it does nothing for me on defense. I really like pierce and the two crit masteries as a combo, you end up doing a lot of critical damage which is likely just as good as any of the higher damage masteries imo. Eventually I'd like to grab willpower or feeding frenzy but I feel the damage output for my play style is the way to go.

vxdbtm5uzabp.png
    7aler3aa1zuu.png

To add, my next 3 points are likely going into starseeker

This is almost exactly my setup. I suggest you move keep1 in Damage and put 4 in Sequencer. The increased attack you get in Damage is point based and is negligible. Always go for percentage damage.
  • Options
    This is almost exactly my setup. I suggest you move keep1 in Damage and put 4 in Sequencer. The increased attack you get in Damage is point based and is negligible. Always go for percentage damage.[/quote]

Good point Mutantdoc, I haven't really looked at those 2 for awhile now haha.
  • Options
    MutantdocMutantdoc Posts: 470
    Anyone have any new mastery setups?
  • Options
    Mr_WonderfulMr_Wonderful Posts: 760
    edited April 2018
    I think it’s important to have different setups within t1 mastery sets to deal with different situations. Too long has that s1000 on expert been my stopping point, so have been investing in the mastery that gives health back for attacking sharks. It’s already kinda handy for a little boost knocking sharks around on ambush, but my main aim is to have it for when s1000 appears again. It won’t be maxed until then.

Of course the essentials like sequencer, armour will always be there, but even willpower is handy for when a tact on harm acc during raids appears, even if it is pretty much restricted to that use
  • Options
    There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the best mastery setup so far, which is good. For me I max my attack and only put a minimum 2-3 on defence. I have maxed Deep Wounds, Assassin and the crit masteries. Any new opinions will be useful.
  • Options
    serdoodserdood Posts: 115
    Does anyone have any new setups for mastery? Can anyone give pros or cons of the assasin mastery?
  • Options
    SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    While some masteries like Assassin will be useful for all bots, there are definitely some masteries that I would use only on certain bots.

Take a look at your bot roster and determine which bots you use most then go from there. Use bleeders? Invest in Deep Wounds. Got a lot of stunners? Dump some points into Stupefy. Running an all BW team? Max out Double Edge and then start every fight with a heavy.

Outside of Assassin (which I think is must-have) those are pretty much the main ones. Then I'd dump whatever leftover points I had into ones like Sequencer and Crit Rate and Crit Damage. Courage would be another valuable one to look at too.

Every one is gonna use them differently though. I've got 38 offensive points used and 0 defensive ones.
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 309
    For most higher level play I find the defensive tree to be worthless all together. For example of master difficulty of the spotlight, 70 hp or 1% armor do very little in extending how long you last. With this mindset I have invested every point I’ve got into offense.

Must haves (my opinion):

Sequencer- every single special involves a combo immediately before hand. So this comes into play every special activated.

Crit rate, crit damage, and pierce armor- these I believe go hand in hand together. More crits that deal more damage is a no brainer. This only hurts when fighting bonecrusher. Ignoring opponents armor is also nice.

Glass Cannon- odds are the health doesn’t help much in higher level am’s and master difficulty. However the attack bonus is a nice boost.

Assassin- when bots have 50k+ health, 18% of their health is a rather large chunk. So activating more offensive abilities helps quicken the fight.

Honorable mentions are deep wounds and stupefy, these are worthwhile if you use a lot of bleeders or stunners.

Avoid (my opinion):

Courage- I don’t find myself playing under half health much, and when it matters I’m fighting a bot that will either one shot me if I make a mistake dodging a special. That or you could eat a combo and take an absurd amount of damage, usually killing you.

Sniper and counter punch, a small boost for one basic attack is not appealing at all.
  • Options
    Gunz0Gunz0 Posts: 2,949
    Has anyone tried the "Stand Together" mastery? How good is it? I have it at rank 2 because I need moar damage against Spotlight bosses. Oh, and does it work against AM minibosses like Rhinox and Cheetor?

Which defensive masteries are the best? I've only invested 1 point in the first health mastery lol.
  • Options
    SparkShredderSparkShredder Posts: 1,300
    Gunz0 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the "Stand Together" mastery? How good is it? I have it at rank 2 because I need moar damage against Spotlight bosses. Oh, and does it work against AM minibosses like Rhinox and Cheetor?

Which defensive masteries are the best? I've only invested 1 point in the first health mastery lol.

Final Boss only... Primal only
  • Options
    serdoodserdood Posts: 115
    Thanks for the input. Looks like I will be changing my setup soon.
  • Options
    I have reached level 55 and I poured all of my points into Offense only. Defense are pretty useless for me.
    6jdnxk9c1vgf.png

• Options
    edited July 2018
    d2ymsphir399.png
    Mine is similar to yours. All offence
  • Options
    Any ideas on defensive mastery setups? I’ve recently had to sacrifice offence to get nano repair. Is it worth putting points into reducing critical rate?
  • Options
    SparkShredderSparkShredder Posts: 1,300
    edited September 2018
    Mutantdoc wrote: »
    Any ideas on defensive mastery setups? I’ve recently had to sacrifice offence to get nano repair. Is it worth putting points into reducing critical rate?

Put ten points anywhere and one to Nano repair, others to offense.
    Personally it won't matter, High CRIT bots will still won't be affected by those small decreases, and low crit bots won't crit anyway.
    I'll suggest, take points away from Armor Peirce and CRIT Buffs, and put them in Nano Repair if you want to
  • Options
    With more points available now for mastery can you guys share your setup? Thanks appreciate it.
  • Options
    HrockHrock Posts: 132
    wcmtixo1sqpr.png

u32zc9b209vv.png

Point 58 goes back to max nano jack, 59 and 60 to crits.

• Options
    Wow, looking back I saw my really old mastery setup so figured I'd share an update. Here I've kept the offensive look but placed 1 point in defense to gain the 2% hp increase, it acts as a bit of a counter to glass cannon in my opinion. Deep wounds is amazing as I run a lot of bleed heavy bots like drift and OGP, and assassin is also a must have. Like Synth said it really depends on what team you are running, in my case I haven't focused on a WJ nano team or beasts so I like the all offence set up. m3c4qsdcsh0k.png
  • Options
    KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    Canuck33 wrote: »
    Wow, looking back I saw my really old mastery setup so figured I'd share an update. Here I've kept the offensive look but placed 1 point in defense to gain the 2% hp increase, it acts as a bit of a counter to glass cannon in my opinion. Deep wounds is amazing as I run a lot of bleed heavy bots like drift and OGP, and assassin is also a must have. Like Synth said it really depends on what team you are running, in my case I haven't focused on a WJ nano team or beasts so I like the all offence set up. m3c4qsdcsh0k.png

Your Arcee must be devastating with that setup
  • Options
    Her attack is pretty awesome lol. one more t3 class and shes going to rank 4 :p
  • Options
    My current nanojack setup 7o6x137wqdzg.png
    ohklbf3n7i90l.png
  • Options
    Any other suggestions for the best mastery setups?
  • Options
    And is willpower worth it?
    1txk8pkxf7r5.png
  • Options
    Willpower sucks. Anyway in the end there doesn't seem to be a best mastery setup. Any ideas?