Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Tier 3 Specials - Player vs AI

Does anyone else think the tier 3 specials are a little unbalanced? I don't mean specific bot specials, but more of when the AI uses a special compared to when a player uses a special. If the AI catches you off guard, you take the full brunt of the onslaught, with maybe a couple reduced hits. But if a player catches the AI off guard, it still automatically gets reduced damage because of what looks to be an auto-block. Two examples of this have been: I've used a tier 3 special at the end of an unblocked combo, but the bot takes reduced damaged right off the bat and I'll maybe get a few good hits out of it. Another time was when I activated my tier 3 special right as the AI bot did a ranged shot, clearly not blocking, but it still got reduced damaged for the majority of the special.

I may be wrong and the same thing may be happening to me too, but I am guarding for a majority of times that specials are used on me. So I just want to see if anyone else has noticed this too, or it might just be me.
Tagged:

Comments

• SP3 moves are unblockable - aside from a few (stupid in my opinion) abilities that mean some bots can evade or reflect parts of an SP3, all bots hit with them all of the time.

I've never seen anything like you describe - some mods do affect special damage (and damage suffered) though. Could this be the reason? From memory there are a number of such mods in Act 3 story where a single SP2 or SP2 will tear you apart as damage was boosted 300% or something.
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited August 2017
    I think what he means is this:

All things being equal (bot rating), the AI does way more damage to players with their specials than players do to the AI.

It is a bit of a misconception... A player is often ahead of the AI in the fight, and damage is scaled to help the losing player catch up a bit.

If you are ahead in a fight you will do far less damage, it's obvious. But, just like the AI, if you are behind and use a special, you will do tons of damage.

I don't really agree with the way it works, but it is what it is.
  • AmanoAmano Posts: 318
    Depends in the mode you are playing sometimes ai bots have nodes(mods) that beef them up like in am or quests
  • TrailfireTrailfire Posts: 590
    edited August 2017
    Some bots get huge armorbuffs or shields that absorb a lot of damage. If you launch an sp3 just when MV1 gets his "I'll take you all on" for instance, it might not do any noticeable damage at all! Or if you do it against Rhinox or Mirage, it's not gonna be very impressive. Grindor is another one that can absorb a lot with armor buffs. You gotta time it to avoid those shields/armor (although most buffs expire in the couple of seconds the animation takes at the beginning of the attack)

Other times you can get a debuff that reduces your damage. If you launch Ratchet's sp3 during a self diagnosis" it's reduced by 20%. That debuff stacks I think, so if you do two heavy attacks then straight away sp3, it's gonna do nothing

thers are others. If you're bleeding against BC your attack goes down 16% or something (per bleed stack). You gotta know all the bots abilities if you want to fight efficiently
  • So I've just checked with the team. On an even playing field (same bot vs same bot, same rank and rarity, same signature level, no buffs or Mods), the AI and the Player's Bots are the exact same. The AI's Special attacks are not more powerful than your own.

The AI has the exact same bots that you have, and we're not able to tune them separately anyways! This is why we use Mods and Buffs!
  • jjack314jjack314 Posts: 37
    So I've just checked with the team. On an even playing field (same bot vs same bot, same rank and rarity, same signature level, no buffs or Mods), the AI and the Player's Bots are the exact same. The AI's Special attacks are not more powerful than your own.

The AI has the exact same bots that you have, and we're not able to tune them separately anyways! This is why we use Mods and Buffs!

The AI has fully awakened 4* bots.
    Not quite what any of my teammate nor I have, but I see what you are saying.
    Thanks Mike
  • ScymonScymon Posts: 20
    Thanks Mike, knowing that, I understand now that it is really more situation dependent (like what @Trailfire said with buffs and debuffs as well as being used against specific bots) than a difference between players and AI.
  • MustangjonMustangjon Posts: 1,146
    He's saying equal per equal most time your fighting opponents at a higher level which is going to have more devastating specials
  • tekkn1kaltekkn1kal Posts: 430
    Manthro wrote: »
    I think what he means is this:

All things being equal (bot rating), the AI does way more damage to players with their specials than players do to the AI.

It is a bit of a misconception... A player is often ahead of the AI in the fight, and damage is scaled to help the losing player catch up a bit.

If you are ahead in a fight you will do far less damage, it's obvious. But, just like the AI, if you are behind and use a special, you will do tons of damage.

I don't really agree with the way it works, but it is what it is.

I don't think this is true at all. Equal bots always seem to do relatively similar damage. It's close enough that until I start getting to around 170% of my PI in arena, I will just usually eat the SP3 so I don't have to waste time baiting and get the fight over sooner.

I've never experienced a scenario where the AI did more damage on specials when they were dying except of course for MV1 or MM.