Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!
Options

Deceptive crystal sales

2»

Comments

• Options
    TrailfireTrailfire Posts: 590
    CandKane wrote: »
    threatening legal action when you've played the game for months (as I know a few here are from global launch if not betas) and absolutely know better is a little too much.

I didn't anywhere threaten legal action. I said its inconsistent with consumer laws in many countries. there are some good arguments against that idea, but companies have lost similar cases, which is why I brought it to Kabam's attention in the first place.

A lot of the comments here are weirdly defensive, seemingly reading a whole lot into my comment that isn't actually in there. It makes me wonder if there's confusion about the status of consumer laws; they're not criminal laws - I'm not suggesting any sort of criminality here at all. If I were, then I could understand the defensiveness, but I'm absolutely not.

Either way, companies have certain obligations, and those are set out in consumer and fair trading laws in whatever country they trade in (you're not bound only by the laws of the company where you're incorporated - Valve found that out the hard way last acouple of years ago and lost $3m for telling customers they had a "no refund" policy). The EU has particularly strong laws in these areas and Kabam would be bound by those as well.

One obligation companies have is displaying clear and prominent "total" prices. That's an obligation set in law in many jurisdictions, including some of Kabam's major markets. It's one that companies can trip over and find they have big costs.

Customer responsibility is a fine platitude but it doesn't carry much legal weight in a situation like this. Especially since Transformers is marketed primarily to kids, which only makes clear pricing all the more important.
    Terminal and Dirc have expressed pretty well the way these prices are dicey. Right now I can't remember exactly how the "add one" button in the Spacebridge room works, but if it also moves seamlessly from drawing on shards to draw on energon, then that could also create a problem.

There's no need to go further here; just the risk that they and I am right should be enough to warrant a reversion. Especially when there was no problem with the previous version.

Like everyone else here, I don't want Kabam to come afoul of this, nor do I support frivolous legal claims. I brought it up because at some point there's apparently been an oversight about the obligations of a vendor and the quicker it's fixed the safer the legal footing Kebam will be on.

If you really think there's zero legal risk, then just acknowledge that changing it back will ensure fewer complaints from angry customers who made accidental purchases. Given how much marketing depends on positive consumer reviews these days, that alone should be worth a lot. Or else just the simple case that reverting is better from a design perspective.

Anyway, I'm way overdone with this topic. I won't keep reading this thread so I can avoid the temptation to reply again
  • Options
    KrugaKruga Posts: 123
    Hired_Goon wrote: »
    Because players like yourself are attacking a company that has made a solid game.

Wait... when did I attack Kabam in this matter? Probably in your rush to defend the company you failed to realised I am just saying let other players that have an issue with the new UI raise this for awareness and get Kabam themselves to defend their decision.

You are asserting that Kabam did not intent to money grab here, but can you be sure? Were you there when decision was made?

The best suggestion that come out in this thread though is a suggestion to separate the Crystal purchase with energon and those that uses chips or shards, which would probably sastify those that like to see their total energon in multiple places and those that were confused by the new UI.
  • Options
    ZapperZapper Posts: 186
    Well considering the very strict German consumer laws I'm pretty sure this wouldn't hold up in court but would count as trickery. And it is really misleading because it mixes up something you get for free (shards) with something you have to pay for (Energon). Please remove this immedeatly. You might trick a few people into buying crystals by accident, but what kind of BS system is that? Also it's annoying as hell, everytime I think "Oh look, I have enought shards for ... a **** it's that BS again".

Rule of thumb, if you have to trick people into buying your stuff, something is not running right.