Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Rhinox's "chainguns of doom"

NightgauntNightgaunt Posts: 178
edited February 2018 in General Discussion
So, it's been pecking my head for a while that Rhinox's legendary chainguns don't feel very... well, chaingun-y. In-game, they're used as saws more than anything else, which is cool, but kinda misses the point.

So I wanna suggest what I think would be a very simple change - give Rhinox the same kind of ranged attack as Grindor, where he fires a burst of lower damage shots. To prevent this messing with the proc rate of the bleed debuff on his ranged attacks, make the proc rate 'per burst' rather than per shot. It would be a minor change, but it would do a lot for Rhinox as a character.

Comments

• Edit: Literally only just realised after posting this that Grindor's ranged attack only counts as one shot, not three small ones :#
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited February 2018
    Nightgaunt wrote: »
    Edit: Literally only just realised after posting this that Grindor's ranged attack only counts as one shot, not three small ones :#

Yes and no... if one hits all of them tend to hit, but if you look closely, each individual projectile causes separate damage. It's easier to see when the opponent blocks.

However, evade bots never evade one of the shots inside the burst.
  • I agree about the chainguns.

I personally think the characterisation of Rhinox is off too. He seems too much like a brute in this, in the show he got angry and could fight like nobody's business but he always maintained a sense of intelligence and control, that doesnt seem to be present in game.
  • SkBirdman wrote: »
    I agree about the chainguns.

I personally think the characterisation of Rhinox is off too. He seems too much like a brute in this, in the show he got angry and could fight like nobody's business but he always maintained a sense of intelligence and control, that doesnt seem to be present in game.

Yeah, I was particularly irked when he shrugged off Drift's little haiku in the current spotlight mission. If he'd have replied with a haiku of his own that would've been a brilliant little bit of characterisation for Rhinox. He's probably the only bot in the game that could've actually appreciated the poetry of it.
  • iuJacobiuJacob Posts: 442
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, honestly I don’t think a whole lot of research goes into the characters sometimes. Most of the decisions seem to be based on what they think looks cool/would be cool rather than what’s actually faithful to these characters at all.
    As an actual fan of these characters, I find it rather bothersome.

It seems like they might watch a single episode and base everything off that. Alot of the story missions are just recycled dialogue or plot points straight from a single episode. Primal’s special mission was evidence of that. It appears they only watched the Cyber-Bee episode, and based his ‘brawler’ class and story completely off that single event. Primal should’ve been a tactician, if anything.

I also find it particularly annoying that Dinobot is a tactician class. The character even described himself as a warrior repeatedly through the series. It’s also questionable as to why his rotate blade shoots projectiles, as that was never a thing. His ranged attack should be his eye beams.

• Agreed - they often dig in deep on certain clichés at the cost of any character depth. Starscream's a good example of that; they put so much emphasis on him being cowardly that it literally defines the bot's fighting style and abilities, but when you go back and watch the OG series Starscream is less of a coward or an idiot, he's just blindly ambitious to the point that he gets in his own way.

Prowl was totally off in the Primal spotlight missions too. I have no idea why they made him so aggressive, to the point where I wonder whether it'll come up in a future special mission that the cyber-bee got him too.
  • Gunz0Gunz0 Posts: 2,949
    Maybe Kabam should let the fans create the abilities and special attacks for the characters and Kabam will improve/balance them
    Nightgaunt wrote: »
    Agreed - they often dig in deep on certain clichés at the cost of any character depth. Starscream's a good example of that; they put so much emphasis on him being cowardly that it literally defines the bot's fighting style and abilities, but when you go back and watch the OG series Starscream is less of a coward or an idiot, he's just blindly ambitious to the point that he gets in his own way.

Prowl was totally off in the Primal spotlight missions too. I have no idea why they made him so aggressive, to the point where I wonder whether it'll come up in a future special mission that the cyber-bee got him too.

Prowl being aggressive is an allusion to the IDW Prowl, he's a prick
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    edited February 2018
    Gunz0 wrote: »
    Let's add a hidden SP3 to Prowl:
    27559961d1451704009-more-than-just-geek-spark-tableflip.png

edited February 2018
    Gunz0 wrote: »
    Maybe Kabam should let the fans create the abilities and special attacks for the characters and Kabam will improve/balance them.

I was wondering if that wasn’t the case with Prowl myself. If it is, that one isn’t so far off the mark.

The upcoming character selection/creation needs to switch from:

Let’s pick a character and try shoehorn them to fit an upcoming class we need

to:

We have this class upcoming, what characters can we use that would fit that assignment?

If you go with the latter, you’d get far more accurate class assignments and have a far deeper pool to pull from, rather than just picking a beloved character and forcing them into something that really doesn’t work for them.

Movie Bumblebee not being a scout is another one that has still never sat well with me. It’s totally okay to have two Bee’s and have them be the same class. Some people prefer one incarnation over the other, but they are still both proclaimed scouts.

I understand the desire to have class diversity among the roster, but not at the expense of completely throwing away someone’s characterization.

I don’t play MCoC, but I would hope the classes are not off kilter as they are with this game.

I love that we got Dinobot and Primal so early, as the Beast Era is my personal favourite. But I’d rather have waited for the right monthly class to come into rotation, if that’s what it would’ve taken to get them their proper assignments.
  • Movie Bumblebee not being a scout is another one that has still never sat well with me. It’s totally okay to have two Bee’s and have them be the same class. Some people prefer one incarnation over the other, but they are still both proclaimed scouts.

I understand the desire to have class diversity among the roster, but not at the expense of completely throwing away someone’s characterization.

I don’t play MCoC, but I would hope the classes are not off kilter as they are with this game.

I love that we got Dinobot and Primal so early, as the Beast Era is my personal favourite. But I’d rather have waited for the right monthly class to come into rotation, if that’s what it would’ve taken to get them their proper assignments. [/quote]

Personally I suspect that Movie Bee and G1 Prowl were swapped at some point in development - Bee is quintessentially a scout, and with Prowl being the autobot strategist he's always struck me as more of a tactician.
    edited February 2018
    Here’s a chart of what should be changed.

For what it’s worth, they do have far more hits than misses.

n8j29iq7y45z.jpeg

If Kabam feels the need to delete this, here’s a version without the bottom four:

ap86z1a1ntlw.jpeg