Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!
Options

In what situation does Ultra Magnus shine?

He seems to be built specifically for Alliance Missions. I have him duped but don't use him much because I'm not familiar with him.

Comments

• Options
    KittenPrimeKittenPrime Posts: 1,144
    Destroys the 1.5 and 3.5 armour paths, and any brawlers in general with his sp1 armour break, converts ALL of the opponents armour buffs into armour break, can dish some devastating damage
  • Options
    ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    He is also a very good choice against Grindor in ROK.
  • Options
    DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    vs optimus primal. Also teamed up with Arcee and Prowl.
  • Options
    Mr_WonderfulMr_Wonderful Posts: 760
    edited March 2018
    He also shines against drift, because his ranged attack counts as a sword instead of a projectile or a laser. This also applies to bludgeon even more because of the armour buffs and for some reason I can’t explain, kickback’s ranged also counts towards his melee resistance buffs
  • Options
    DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    He also shines against drift, because his ranged attack counts as a sword instead of a projectile or a laser. This also applies to bludgeon even more because of the armour buffs and for some reason I can’t explain, kickback’s ranged also counts towards his melee resistance buffs

because they aren't energy attacks like the others who use a blaster
  • Options

My theory on kickback is because of shockwave. If they counted as energy, you could purposely shoot his shield, take the shock charges he retaliates with, and consume them for power gain. Would be crazy lol.
  • Options
    maybe, but it wouldn’t be the only inconsistency I can think of. Galvatrons second medium attack counts ranged resistance against ultra Magnus, yet doesn’t against movie bumblebee. I know it’s still an energy attack and that’s why it works like that against Magnus, but it just feels a tad overpowered against one particular bot (not that I’d ever use Magnus against galvatron, but just saying.)
  • Options
    ReworkRework Posts: 122

Not to dig up ancient TF history, but this would be accurate. Per the original Tech Spec that came with the toy, Kickback's weapon is a sub-machine gun rather than a laser or blaster.
  • Options
    SparkShredderSparkShredder Posts: 1,300

I noticed kickback does not shoot, he throw some kind of blades.
  • Options
    SparkShredderSparkShredder Posts: 1,300
    MAGNUS had proven to be Bug killer. Both BEEs and kickback
  • Options
    DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    I have noticed Kickbacks ranged also...seem to be spear tips or something
  • Options
    Mixmaster also throws projectiles, although they add against magnus’s ranged resistance. Not sure what they count as (acid bombs?) but with the exception of throwing swords (drift and bludgeon), shouldn’t any other ranged attack count as ranged resistance for Magnus?

Maybe they should look at magnus’s resistances as physical/energy doesn’t seem to suit. ‘Energy’ would mean lasers to me, ‘physical’ would mean ballistics like bullets. The only bot I know of that obviously uses lasers as standard ranged attack is shockwave.
  • Options
    I thought that's how it was looked at.... physical vs energy.
  • Options
    ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited March 2018
    Mixmaster also throws projectiles, although they add against magnus’s ranged resistance. Not sure what they count as (acid bombs?) but with the exception of throwing swords (drift and bludgeon), shouldn’t any other ranged attack count as ranged resistance for Magnus?

Maybe they should look at magnus’s resistances as physical/energy doesn’t seem to suit. ‘Energy’ would mean lasers to me, ‘physical’ would mean ballistics like bullets. The only bot I know of that obviously uses lasers as standard ranged attack is shockwave.

UM resistances are, in fact, physical/energy and not ranged/melee as many players currently interpret them.

Don't think about the logic behind it... The dev team codes attacks with whatever they want.

For example... Primal heavy attack is a ranged attack that deals physical melee damage. This is the way it was intended, just gotta get used to it.

• Options
    Yeah UM is tough when you use a bot like Bludgeon or Drift....those physical buffs just stack and he's a monster. I'd love him as a 5*.
  • Options
    DrShotgun wrote: »
    Yeah UM is tough when you use a bot like Bludgeon or Drift....those physical buffs just stack and he's a monster. I'd love him as a 5*.

Agreed, he is a total pain without the right bots. My kickback vs Magnus experience came in arena, thinking kickback would be the better option against Magnus considering MM and bludgeon were my other 2 on the team. Needless to say it was one of the longest battles I’ve had in arenas, all I could do was power leak and hope to wear him down eventually
  • Options

Agreed, he is a total pain without the right bots. My kickback vs Magnus experience came in arena, thinking kickback would be the better option against Magnus considering MM and bludgeon were my other 2 on the team. Needless to say it was one of the longest battles I’ve had in arenas, all I could do was power leak and hope to wear him down eventually

Ultra Magnus is always a pain unless you have a demo bot, his AI is one of the worst and his specials are obnoxious to predict, and sp1 is hard to dodge, and the resistances ofc
  • Options
    Outside of demo..... I’d say windblade makes short work of him, if you can keep him bleeding. Barricade’s backfire from ranged would keep his physical resist low. G1 megs’s Armour break and powered heavies work well too. There is probably others but I always have at least one of them with me on AM (swordmasters, MV cons, or g1 cons.)

I agree about his sp1 though, I usually smash him straight to sp2 before he gets a chance, find that easier to see coming.
  • Options
    I normally take him down with Shockwave or Soundwave. He seems especially vulnerable to a good shock.
  • Options
    I normally take him down with Shockwave or Soundwave. He seems especially vulnerable to a good shock.

A shockingly good strategy