Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Should I be upgrading 4* Grimlock instead of MV1 Prime?

I have 4* MV1 Prime at r4 lvl40, sig lvl20, forge lvl56, and I was just planning on taking him to r5 once I got a t3 brawler spark. Now I'm wondering if Grimlock is a better idea based on his sig ability and what I've heard around here about endgame stuff, but I've only got him at rank 1 lvl10, sig lvl5 with no forging. Is it worth me investing the effort into ranking up Grimlock or should I just stick with MV1 Prime for the meantime?
My main thing at the moment is spotlight missions - I need a team to fully explore master for the t3c shards so I can start r5-ing more bots.

Comments

• Faithz17Faithz17 Posts: 842
    MV Prime for sure. He’s my first R5 and he’s super useful for everything from spotlight to AM to raids. Esp his sig ability is useful when final boss is very low in health, it gives that added boost to finish him off.

Grimlock is useful for raids when MV is in AM.
  • It depends what other bots you have and what your main team consists of. I have MV1 at r5, IMO he fits my team better as a direct counter to bleeds. With the shock block path I usually have kickback. Another option is a beast synergy team to purify with tantrum for unblockable attacks. Honestly depends on your team, but if asking straight like for like comparison i would go MV1 you have more invested in him and is a higher sig level.
  • NightgauntNightgaunt Posts: 178
    It depends what other bots you have and what your main team consists of. I have MV1 at r5, IMO he fits my team better as a direct counter to bleeds. With the shock block path I usually have kickback. Another option is a beast synergy team to purify with tantrum for unblockable attacks. Honestly depends on your team, but if asking straight like for like comparison i would go MV1 you have more invested in him and is a higher sig level.

My spotlight team rotates between:

4* MV1 Prime
    4* G1 Prime
    4* Mirage
    4* Galvatron
    4* Hound
    5* Barricade

Once I dupe my 4* Prowl I want him to replace barricade, so that's a factor.
  • Ok if hound is the warrior in your main team then definitely MV1 because of the synergy.
  • SparkShredderSparkShredder Posts: 1,300
    I always go for MV1 due to his Better gameplay
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    Grimlock if you use more Generations bots (and he can purify all DoT effects)
    MV1 if you use bots like IH, Hound or Drift.
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    Mv1 gets my vote. As the fight becomes harder you'll find a straightforward gameplay rocks. With Mv1, you don't have to constantly worry about keeping your buffs through unnecessary heavies.
  • BigbowlrBigbowlr Posts: 121
    As someone who swears by Lord Grimlock and thinks hes one of the best bots in the game. I can tell you MV1 is one of the few boys above grimlock for me. Hes got better synergies and his survivability is so much better than grimlocks. Grimlocks biggest issue is his purify isnt instant so you take damage from the debuffs, meanwhile against bleed based opponents Mv1 purifies quicker and can also heal.
  • NightgauntNightgaunt Posts: 178
    Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'll be sticking with MV1 Prime!
  • Red_EyesRed_Eyes Posts: 994
    edited August 2018
    They're releasing both as 5* soon anyways so maybe it's not worth it to invest in Grimlock at this stage, and I'm a Grimlock fan. Maybe if T3 Class sparks become easier to come by with the new update you can consider Grimlock at some point.

Edit: I will add though, while MV1 can be great with bleeds, healing etc. Grimlock owns MV1 when it comes to shocks and burns, so in that regard he's more versatile.
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    Faithz17 wrote: »
    MV Prime for sure. He’s my first R5 and he’s super useful for everything from spotlight to AM to raids. Esp his sig ability is useful when final boss is very low in health, it gives that added boost to finish him off.

Grimlock is useful for raids when MV is in AM.

Completely reversed for me - MV1 for raids and Grimlock for everything else.

MV1 is good to a point, then he can't do enough damage to heal from bleeds and the AI becomes too evasive anyway. He also suffers all of the other DoT debuffs.

Grimlock needs to be fully forged and R5 for full utility, and paired with willpower he is even more useful as he can usually heal up some before purifying if you're against Bonecrusher - which is usually the main problem.

I think Grimlock scales better than MV1 but only at the very, very high end of gameplay, and he isn't better but his utility just becomes more valuable and further reaching.

Take debuffs out of the equation and MV1 is superior for both his synergy and his general gameplay.
  • WarblahWarblah Posts: 39
    edited August 2018
    Agree with DaveJL, for debuff purification mv1 will lose out on high level game play. For example, high level AM require very defensive play style and mv1 just won’t get that much chance to successfully hitting the ai to gain enough health back, the bleed at those level are extreme scary that eating 1 or 2 bleeds from a warrior shark can drop a regular bots health to 50% in no time

If debuff purification is not a concern, then mv1 is better than grimlock on all front, however damage debuff is so common now days I’ll always take a grimlock instead of mv1
  • Mr_WonderfulMr_Wonderful Posts: 760
    edited August 2018
    Tyberious wrote: »
    Due to your investment I say stick with MV2 Prime. I personaly went with Grimlock as my focus when I got him. Level 50, Sig 45, Forge 100.

One thing people forget about Grimlock is that his alt mode completely ignores damage dealt to it. I use it as an extra "dodge" against predictable, but not always avoidable special and heavy attacks.

You definitely need to practice with Grimlock before you take him into endgame content, but the effort does payback exponentially.

I haven't played much with Bay Prime, mostly because I don't care alot about Bayformers and I only had him for Bay Autobots. However, I just pulled 4 star Ironhide, so I will see how good they are together.

Side note: I just realized my Bay Prime has my second highest sig level. I should put some effort into him.....

Prime sp3 literally hits like a truck with ironhide synergy, I’ve seen 8 bleeds a few times. Although without IH his sp2 is probably more efficient power/damage wise, the synergy makes it worth going for the sp3
  • DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    I had a tough choice between MV1 and Grimlock, but chose Grim....I haven't really used Prime since but would like to r5 him next
  • Bodyopus79Bodyopus79 Posts: 155
    I used to crap on Grimmy every chance I got (mr. Marshmallow Fists compared to the other Brawlers) But now with yet more BS like Expert Act 3 chp 2 shockblock, i realize how invaluable Purify is...
  • VoltronVoltron Posts: 998
    edited August 2018
    One thing people forget about Grimlock is that his alt mode completely ignores damage dealt to it. I use it as an extra "dodge" against predictable, but not always avoidable special and heavy attacks.

so heavy right before you get hit?

• Voltron wrote: »

so heavy right before you get hit?

Yep. Good way to avoid a single hard hit. Be mindful about using it against stuff like prowl sp2 though, it’s a small gap to get it right