Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Which Megatron is the Best Incarnation of the Character?

ScarredArachnid333ScarredArachnid333 Posts: 1,856
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
Megatron is the biggest baddie in the Transformers Universe, but there have been multiple incarnations of the Character. So, I want to know the Community''s Favorite version of the Decepticon Leader and why?

Also, I put Beast Wars Megatron there because even though he's just a Bot that took Megatron's name, he's done some things worthy of the Megatron title. I also separated the 3 different G1 media (Cartoon, Marvel, IDW) because they are different continuities.

Which Megatron is the Best Incarnation of the Character? 57 votes

G1 (Cartoon)
38%
Joker69Mufc14GochaBROParadoxFuryserdoodAnakinPrimeJmdTracked_SignalDatedWizard4Chrome2279magnusprime777Jazz444BlackRazakRed_EyesDrazyCeltTechnobotSycko5SparkEaterKabam Habanero 22 votes
G1 (Marvel)
0%
G1 (IDW)
12%
French_BakerBumblebeeDevastator71SynthwaveCharleshot25VavatronUrAverageMalaka 7 votes
Beast Wars/Machines
15%
iuJacobAnnatarDown_UnderSuperiorSoundwaveOptima1PBlack_ThoughtScarredArachnid333VanjieMister_Nickel 9 votes
RID (2001)
0%
Unicron Trilogy
0%
Bayformers
10%
M00NBumblebee254DeymonKillerbillygovolsBi1b0BagginsEdward 6 votes
Animated
3%
DeadMemeBoiDragma 2 votes
Aligned/Prime
19%
SparkShredderPhatBoy123PeasPJTheKingHunterIssy543NotOptimalOptimus_MV1SwarmIntellectTransformator79mac10smg_ToaOfGreenTimfranco 11 votes
Cyberverse
0%
Tagged:

Comments

• G1 (IDW)
    Beast wars megatron and every other megatron are not the same character
  • VanjieVanjie Posts: 82
    Beast Wars/Machines
    Beast Wars Megatron (after s1) is by far the most competent and interesting incarnation of an on-screen Megatron, in Beast Machines he literally WON. He also managed to kill Primal in BW even though he was brought back. As someone who hasn’t really read many comics, BW Megs wins this one for me.
  • Animated
    Ok animated megatron was the smartest megatron and the biggest threat. He was very competent and orchestrated his return from just being a head in a computer. Plus he was one of if not the only megatron smart enough to kill starscream. (Yes he was resurrected but megatron knew what he had to do)
  • JmdJmd Posts: 45
    G1 (Cartoon)
    I like the G1 cartoon Megatron best, with the Marvel/IDW Regeneration One Megatron a close second and Beast Wars Megatron third.
  • PhatBoy123PhatBoy123 Posts: 1,015
    edited October 2018
    Aligned/Prime
    Megatron's supposed to be an Evil Warlord, this guy is large, merciless, and intimidating, he will do whatever it takes to win the war, even forsake the tomb of a prime, and use the blood of unicron to his advantage. This Megatron didn't kill Starscream like animated did, he tried to but failed, and then made sure Soundwave kept tabs on screams every move, he even went as far as to see if Scream was trustworthy via a cortical psychic patch, and let's him live and says "you are more useful with me than against me." Not to mention this Megatron has proven to survive almost anything.
  • Bi1b0BagginsBi1b0Baggins Posts: 1,049
    Bayformers
    Because crab claws are delicious
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    edited October 2018
    G1 (IDW)
    I personally think IDW Megatron is the most fleshed-out, complex iteration out there, hands down. The G1 Cartoon version of him is just too mustache-twiddling "evil-for-the-sake-of-being-evil" for my taste. Don't know about any of the others.

But yeah, I really liked the evolution of IDW Megatron. From lowly, abused laborer, to champion of the downtrodden, then to pit gladiator to finally just fully embracing the darkness and becoming a terrorist-turned-warlord for millions of years. It was fully believable how this path he went down shaped and defined him along with the eventual remorse and penitence he would come to feel when he finally reflects on his legacy and makes the choice that he does. And even then, they still managed to make him a compelling character because he's now this wizened, battle-hardened and cagey character who is still the same Megatron that's thinking steps ahead of everyone else but you just like him more and want to be in his corner.

All great stuff.

With IDW's universe coming to a close, he'll be the character I miss the most.
  • BlackRazakBlackRazak Posts: 2,812
    G1 (Cartoon)
    Synthwave wrote: »
    I personally think IDW Megatron is the most fleshed-out, complex iteration out there, hands down. The G1 Cartoon version of him is just too mustache-twiddling "evil-for-the-sake-of-being-evil" for my taste. Don't know about any of the others.

But yeah, I really liked the evolution of IDW Megatron. From lowly, abused laborer, to champion of the downtrodden, then to pit gladiator to finally just fully embracing the darkness and becoming a terrorist-turned-warlord for millions of years. It was fully believable how this path he went down shaped and defined him along with the eventual remorse and penitence he would come to feel when he finally reflects on his legacy and makes the choice that he does. And even then, they still managed to make him a compelling character because he's now this wizened, battle-hardened and cagey character who is still the same Megatron that's thinking steps ahead of everyone else but you just like him more and want to be in his corner.

All great stuff.

With IDW's universe coming to a close, he'll be the character I miss the most.

Yes, good writing ala Beast Wars, but i think IDW overreached and jumped the shark by MARRYING certain bots, turning Megs into an Autobot (yea, arc, etc, whateva) and TBF, I'm not a fan of any of their artists except for Guidi, Matere and Zama.
    The much lauded Milne has them having weird faces, and only 3 types of silhouettes:
    Lithe
    Bulky
    Crazy Bulky
  • ScarredArachnid333ScarredArachnid333 Posts: 1,856
    edited October 2018
    Beast Wars/Machines

While true, BW Megatron is still Megatron quaility and is still a version of Megatron. Unlike other Megatrons, he took his name from another character. It's like how Miles Morales is still referred as a version of Spider-man. Miles may have not been Peter, but he still shares the same qualities as the original to call himself Spider-man. Same thing goes for BW Megatron.
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    G1 (IDW)
    No arguing on the shark-jumping stuff. The whole idea of injecting gender-identity politics into a race that has no reproductive organs is just stupid to me (if anything they should've explored the whole forged vs. cold constructed aspect more as their version of how we differentiate between male and female) but we got what we got. That said, I do think their take on Megatron was great.

And yes I totally agree with the artists too; Sarah Stone and Corin Howell's work on Windblade looked like a cringe-worthy attempt to try and turn Transformers into a girls tween comic.

ln4hzwxangb1.png

Look at that; disgusting. Like something you'd find wrapped in cellophane inside a McDonald's Happy Meal.

• Optima1POptima1P Posts: 136
    Beast Wars/Machines
    BW Megatron was cunning, and BM Megatron was just PURE EVIL.
  • KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    G1 (Cartoon)
    Optima1P wrote: »
    BW Megatron was cunning, and BM Megatron was just PURE EVIL.

yessssssss s s s s s s s s s. S s s s
  • G1 (IDW)
    PhatBoy123 wrote: »
    Megatron's supposed to be an Evil Warlord, this guy is large, merciless, and intimidating, he will do whatever it takes to win the war, even forsake the tomb of a prime, and use the blood of unicron to his advantage. This Megatron didn't kill Starscream like animated did, he tried to but failed, and then made sure Soundwave kept tabs on screams every move, he even went as far as to see if Scream was trustworthy via a cortical psychic patch, and let's him live and says "you are more useful with me than against me." Not to mention this Megatron has proven to survive almost anything.

Have you read the IDW comics? Megatron succeed in taking over Earth for 4 years. The things he did to the humans were just....ruthless. In the End he became an Autobot but he was cold and intimidating before that. If u like TFP you'll like the comics
  • G1 (IDW)

While true, BW Megatron is still Megatron quaility and is still a version of Megatron. Unlike other Megatrons, he took his name from another character. It's like how Miles Morales is still referred as a version of Spider-man. Miles may have not been Peter, but he still shares the same qualities as the original to call himself Spider-man. Same thing goes for BW Megatron.

You know Megatron took his name from Megatronus in pretty much all continuities right? He only shortened his name because the people started calling him Megatron. called him when he was a gladiator. Just wanted to point that out
  • Beast Wars/Machines

You know Megatron took his name from Megatronus in pretty much all continuities right? He only shortened his name because the people started calling him Megatron. called him when he was a gladiator. Just wanted to point that out

I did say they have to share the same name, but I also said they have to share the same QUALITIES as well. Megatron is nothing like Megatronous in terms of abilities and origin. BW Megatron and G1 Megatrons, on the other hand, do share qualities that make them similar:

•They were both Second Class citizens that rebelled against the government.
    •Both are ambitious and don't really care for their troops.
    •Both of them have arm cannons
    •Both of them are leaders of factions, G1 Megs being the leader of the Decepticons and BW Megs being the leader of the Renegade Predacons.
    •Want to rule Cybertron, but also want to save it.
    •Both of them ignited Wars.
    •Both of them have back-stabbing troops that they keep around.
    •Both of them fight for a noble cause, they just took the wrong path.
    edited October 2018
    Beast Wars/Machines
    I apologize for bumping this thread, but this was a list that I wanted to make
    (and I'm bored). I am going to rank the Megatron's I'm aware of from worst to best. By doing this I'm going to give a brief overview of the Megatron, list his Pros and Cons, and give him an overall ranking out of 10. I won't include Cyberverse, Unicorn Trilogy and Marvel because I don't know too much about the Marvel Megatron, Cyberverse is brand new, and I never got around to watching the Unicron Trilogy (so I will rank 6 Megs). There will also be an exclusive ranking because that character doesn't count as a Megatron. And keep in Monday that this is my opinion, so it probably won't agree with yours. So without further ado...

#6: RID (2001)
    Reason:
    Megatron is always meant to inspire fear whenever he enters the battlefield. The problem with this Megatron is that he barely enters the battle at all. He just sits on his chair and does nothing and unlike Thanos who does the same thing, he doesn't even use that time to plan. This Megatron was incredibly lazy and always sent his minions to do all the work while he did nothing but yell at everyone else. It's pretty sad when the minions do more than the leader.

Pros:
    •The voice actor does a great job making him sound like an insane nut.
    •It is said that he has conquered other planets, despite being lazy.
    •He has a lot of silly, yet cool alternate modes.
    •Created the Decepticons

Cons:
    •He was incredibly lazy and basically did nothing for most of the show.
    •He thinks his minons are incompetent and lazy but he should really look in a mirror.
    •Despite being lazy, there are times where he does go out on the field. The problem is that he always gets his shiny butt kicked whenever he does.
    •One of his greatest feats on the field was luring in Sideburns by, for lack of a better word, seducing him.
    •He has very cheesy dialogue sometimes. Kelly even roasted him for it.
    •His goal doesn't really make sense. He wants to control Fortress Maximus to rule Earth despite already conquering countless planets. Why does he need Fortress Maximus?
    •He doesn't have an origin or motivation.
    •The way he treats Sky-Byte is just criminal. Sky-Byte is always looking for Megatron's approval, which Megs never provides, and Megatron always berates Sky-Byte the most despite his eternal loyalty. Prick.

2/10: Dethrone him and make Sky-Byte the leader. Go Sky-Byte!

#5: Bayformers
    Reason:
    This was the first Megatron I was introduced to and when I first saw him, I thought he was kool and a great villain. But after discovering more interesting Megatrons, well, let's just say it's comparing a broken Kre-O to Masterpiece figures. He was actually a passable villain in the first film, but he started to become a wiping boy as the movies went on. Oh Megatron, you looked like an awesome piece of scrap when I first saw you. Now you're just a piece of scrap.

Pros:
    •His appearance is terrifying.
    •Hugo Weaving did an excellent job voicing him.
    •He has a pretty good motivation in the prequel comics.
    •Even in a weakened state, he beat the absolute scrap out of Sentinel Prime.
    •He would occasionally fight till the very end until he's dead. That's real commitment.
    •He killed Optimus Prime.

Cons:
    •He BURIED HIMSELF in the Artic by accident.
    •After the first movie, he didn't do much. He would always serve as the lapdog of the Main antagonist, get thrown around, scream "StArsCREam", then flee... or die.
    •While the prequel comics gave him a desent motive, the movies he originated from did not, making him a very bland character in the films.
    •He seems to have an infinite number of forces but can still never win.
    •He can be harmed by human weaponry.
    •He was killed by a human. I know it's Shia Lebouf, but come on.
    •His Fusion Cannon/Lobster Arm had a tendency to fall off.
    •He becomes rather weak after his lobster arm comes off.
    •He was in the Last Knight

4/10: Not even Hugo Weaving can save Lobster Megs' performance.

#4: G1 Cartoon
    Reason:
    Ok, hear me out. When I first watched the G1 show, I was super excited to see how Megatron was like since I thought he was awesome in Prime and Animated, so the original version must be better right? Well he was actually good in the Pilot episodes, actually being one step ahead and knowing how to deal with the Autobots. But after the pilot episodes, he got worse, and worse, and worse, and worse. He was dumb, a coward, and he never improved as a character. What I despise most about this is that the writers just made him an idiot just for the sake of him losing. I know the good guys are supposed to win, but at least make the main villain a threat. Don't make him a laughable loser. Well, at least he became 100,000,000 times better in the Transformers Cartoon Film. He was actually a threat but it sucks that he wasn't a threat in the show itself.

Pros:
    •Frank Welker knows how to do an evil laugh.
    •His Fusion Cannon can one-shot anyone.
    •He managed to defeat the Dinobots.
    •He would always get to the McGuffins first.
    •He's a suprisingly great inventor, given his idiotic plans.
    •He defeated Starscream, Devastator, Astrotrain, and Blitzwing all in one go.
    •He has awesome quotes:
    -"Such heroic nonsense."
    -"Why throw away your life so recklessly?"
    -"Everything I touch is food for my hunger, my hunger is power."
    -"oOHh, tHOsE weRe THe gUd oL DaYs baCk oN CyBeRTrOn. dIDn'T hAVe tO snEAk ARoUNd In tHESe uGLy eArTH DiSGuIsEs"
    •His arguments with Starscream were one of the funniest things in the show.
    •He killed Optimus Prime

Cons:
    •DECEPTICONS RETREEEAT!
    Every. Single. Episode.
    •Some of the stuff he made are quesrionable, such as the Giant Purple Griffin.
    •He transformed into a gun. A small, vulnerable, immobile gun.
    •His gun mode can be used against his own troops!
    •He never made sure his enemies were dead.
    •His plans were always simple and never complex. They were always something along these lines:
    -Step 1: Find new McGuffin
    -Step 2: Test out new McGuffin
    -Step 3: Fill dem Energon Cubes
    -Step 4: Uh oh, is that Optimus?
    Step 5: Ow, oof, ouch.
    Step 6: DECEPTICONS RETREAT.
    Step 7: Repeat.
    •His (few) victories only lasted for a few days AT BEST.
    •Even when he gains an advantage via a McGuffin or a new Decepticon, he would still lose immediately after.
    •He never gave an actual reason as to why he never killed Starscream.
    •His character never really changed. He was just evil and made dumb decisions for the sake of plot, which I think is poor storytelling.

5/10: He was sadly just a plain villain that wanted to rule the universe. The show never explored the side of him that wanted to save Cybertron like TF Devastation did, which is sad. At least Galvatron was a more interesting character...

That's all I will do for now. Let me know your thoughts.
  • UrAverageMalakaUrAverageMalaka Posts: 664
    edited October 2018
    G1 (IDW)
    (and I'm bored). I am going to rank the Megatron's I'm aware of from worst to best. By doing this I'm going to give a brief overview of the Megatron, list his Pros and Cons, and give him an overall ranking out of 10. I won't include Cyberverse, Unicorn Trilogy and Marvel because I don't know too much about the Marvel Megatron, Cyberverse is brand new, and I never got around to watching the Unicron Trilogy (so I will rank 6 Megs). There will also be an exclusive ranking because that character doesn't count as a Megatron. And keep in Monday that this is my opinion, so it probably won't agree with yours. So without further ado...

Reason:
    Megatron is always meant to inspire fear whenever he enters the battlefield. The problem with this Megatron is that he barely enters the battle at all. He just sits on his chair and does nothing and unlike Thanos who does the same thing, he doesn't even use that time to plan. This Megatron was incredibly lazy and always sent his minions to do all the work while he did nothing but yell at everyone else. It's pretty sad when the minions do more than the leader.

Pros:
    •Created the Decepticons

Cons:
    •He thinks his minons are incompetent and lazy but he should really look in a mirror.
    •Despite being lazy, there are times where he does go out on the field. The problem is that he always gets his shiny butt kicked whenever he does.
    •One of his greatest feats on the field was luring in Sideburns by, for lack of a better word, seducing him.
    •His goal doesn't really make sense. He wants to control Fortress Maximus to rule Earth despite already conquering countless planets. Why does he need Fortress Maximus?
    •The way he treats Sky-Byte is just criminal. Sky-Byte is always looking for Megatron's approval, which Megs never provides, and Megatron always berates Sky-Byte the most despite his eternal loyalty. Prick.

Reason:
    This was the first Megatron I was introduced to and when I first saw him, I thought he was kool and a great villain. But after discovering more interesting Megatrons, well, let's just say it's comparing a broken Kre-O to Masterpiece figures. He was actually a passable villain in the first film, but he started to become a wiping boy as the movies went on. Oh Megatron, you looked like an awesome piece of scrap when I first saw you. Now you're just a piece of scrap.

Pros:
    •He would occasionally fight till the very end until he's dead. That's real commitment.

Cons:
    •After the first movie, he didn't do much. He would always serve as the lapdog of the Main antagonist, get thrown around, scream "StArsCREam", then flee... or die.
    •While the prequel comics gave him a desent motive, the movies he originated from did not, making him a very bland character in the films.

Reason:
    Ok, hear me out. When I first watched the G1 show, I was super excited to see how Megatron was like since I thought he was awesome in Prime and Animated, so the original version must be better right? Well he was actually good in the Pilot episodes, actually being one step ahead and knowing how to deal with the Autobots. But after the pilot episodes, he got worse, and worse, and worse, and worse. He was dumb, a coward, and he never improved as a character. What I despise most about this is that the writers just made him an idiot just for the sake of him losing. I know the good guys are supposed to win, but at least make the main villain a threat. Don't make him a laughable loser. Well, at least he became 100,000,000 times better in the Transformers Cartoon Film. He was actually a threat but it sucks that he wasn't a threat in the show itself.

Pros:
    •He has awesome quotes:
    -"Such heroic nonsense."
    -"oOHh, tHOsE weRe THe gUd oL DaYs baCk oN CyBeRTrOn. dIDn'T hAVe tO snEAk ARoUNd In tHESe uGLy eArTH DiSGuIsEs"
    •He killed Optimus Prime

Cons:
    •DECEPTICONS RETREEEAT!
    Every. Single. Episode.
    •His plans were always simple and never complex. They were always something along these lines:
    •Even when he gains an advantage via a McGuffin or a new Decepticon, he would still lose immediately after.
    •His character never really changed. He was just evil and made dumb decisions for the sake of plot, which I think is poor storytelling.

5/10: He was sadly just a plain villain that wanted to rule the universe. The show never explored the side of him that wanted to save Cybertron like TF Devastation did, which is sad. At least Galvatron was a more interesting character...

Very nice reasonings. Megatron needs to be a character that would make you crap you pants every time you see him, he needs to be stronger then optimus in most cases and he needs to have something to strive for, he shouldn’t be just some evil maniac who kills autobots because he got bored one day. He needs to only retreat at the smartest times ( not if he gets knocked to the floor once). And i know most people would want him to be a careless tyrant but i would like to see him be close with some bots (like soundwave). Also his back story needs to be him as a gladiator in the pits of kaon. And he needed to be a bot who was worthy enough to weild the matrix until he became corrupt. Its just the most fitting part for it. And also make his super strength come from dark energon (the blood from unicron who usually can take the minds of anyone who tries to control it. Shows that megatron is mentally strong and can block off unicron)
    G1 (Cartoon)

Reason:

Pros:
    •Created the Decepticons

Cons:

Reason:

Pros:

Cons:

Reason:

Pros:
    •He has awesome quotes:
    -"Such heroic nonsense."
    •He killed Optimus Prime

Cons:
    •DECEPTICONS RETREEEAT!
    Every. Single. Episode.

Megatron, in G1 community, was actually the first of the ultra powered, flight capable military robots.
    Simple DOMESTIC bots such as Orion Pax idolized the mighty warrior.
    Problem? Megatron (who's also INVENTOR of the Decepticons) wanted things done fast, without regard for life of any beings.

So he's like a MODERN 1st World leader.

The G1 cartoon would wildly alter his effectiveness and tactical intelligence throughout the series, so YMMV.

Best and true depictions of him in G1 were the pilot MTMTE and the 86 movie.
  • Aligned/Prime
    G1 Megatron was a COWARD. I don't see why he is best. Prime Megatron is. He's deadly and strong and not a coward
  • Beast Wars/Machines
    @BlackRazak
    I forgot about how important flight was in the G1 show. I never knew Megatron was the first. If only he used it to his advantage more.

@UrAverageMalaka
    @OptimalOptimus_MV1
    Your both very right on how Megatron should be portrayed. He should be a fearless, calculating and powerful leader that stops at nothing to achieve his goals. He should also have a sympathetic side that shows that he never viewed himself as the bad guy, but a freedom fighter. This is why I think Megatron as a character and villaim is on par with Joker, Magneto, Thanos, or any of the other popular villains because he can be well fleshed out. Too bad most people know the movie one.
    G1 (Cartoon)
    @BlackRazak
    I forgot about how important flight was in the G1 show. I never knew Megatron was the first. If only he used it to his advantage more.

@UrAverageMalaka
    @OptimalOptimus_MV1
    Your both very right on how Megatron should be portrayed. He should be a fearless, calculating and powerful leader. Too bad most people know the movie one.

Movie MEGATRON:
    Pt1: Allspark! Rawr!
    Pt2: Master!
    Pt3: Yes, Sentinel! Whelp!
    Pt4: See you next time, revenge!
    Pt5: Discount Jared Leto.

Seriously, that was it!
    edited December 2018
    Beast Wars/Machines
    Continuing from old post...
    #3: Animated
    Reason:
    Bayformers was my introduction to Transformers. Transformers Animated was the first official Transformers show I ever saw and I was confused since *gasp* Bumblebee spoke. I was also never a fan of the human villains either (and I'm still not) and I wanted to see Megatron. A full Megatron, not a head. But the show didn't disappoint when Megatron made his return, beating the scrap out of everyone, and offing Starscream. He was a constant threat and was barely bested, making him a great Megatron, but there was some small problems with him.

Pros:
    •Decimated the Autobots when he returns in his new body.
    •Killed Starscream, showing that he doesnt tolerate treachery.
    •Created a spoof of the phrase "Roll out":
    -"Decepticons, Transform and Rise Up"
    •Despite being a head, he's still able to be a threat
    •He created Soundwave and the Dinobots
    •Held his ground against the Starscream clones
    •Despite the Great War having already ended, he's still active
    •He managed to survive the Allspark overloading and exploding INSIDE HIS CHEST! Bayformers Megs wasn't as lucky
    •Managed to control Omega Supreme
    •If the next season happened, he would have broken out of Trypticon Prison by teleporting the entire prison on Earth.
    •I really like how he views himself as heroic, and becomes upset when the Constructicons accuse him of being the bad guy. It shows that he doesn't view himself as the villain he is.

Cons:
    •Despite doing being operative as a head, he still spent an entire season as a head.
    •He did exactly the same thing as movie Megs:
    He wanted the Allspark only for it to overload in him.
    •He never killed Optimus, which is kinda pathetic when you acknowledge the fact that this Optimus isn't even a Prime yet, nor does he have the experience. Not a major flaw, but still.
    •To add insult to injury, the Autobots that defeated him were just a Space bridge repair group.

7/10: He's a very persistent Megatron which is most logical.

#2: Prime
    Reason:
    Transformers Prime was the second Transformers series I ever watched and I adored it. It was such a great show with great animation, and like Animated, the characters were fleshed out in a way I've never seen before in the movies. Huh. Maybe there is a reason why the movies are hated. Anyway, the show has a great portrayal of characters, but one I really enjoyed was Megatron. This was my first time hearing Frank Welker's Megatron and he was awesome. Definitely Frank Welker's best performance; his menacing voice fitted with Megatron''s character. He was twisted, powerful, and extremely effective due to the resources he had which gave him an advantage. With nothing else to say, he was always awesome in my eyes.

Pros:
    •Frank Welker still knows how to do an evil laugh. For evidence, watch the episode "One Shall Rise Part 1"
    •The overall design is the best Megatron has ever had. It's the perfect amalgamation of G1 and Movie Megs, combing to make a menacing design.
    •He's able to conquer the affects of Dark Energon without any problems. Well, until Unicorn shows up.
    •He's able to control zombies. Nuff said.
    •He's a powerhouse, with only Prime and Predaking able to go up against him.
    •He was in the epicenter of the Space Bridge when it exploded and he SURVIVED. He was badly injured, but he was still alive, none the less.
    •He's able to survive being crushed by a boulder 3 times his size. There's also the fact that the whole cave collapsed as well.
    •He created the Cybonic Plague.
    •He took advantage of Bumblebee's mind and resurrected himself.
    •Optimus swung his sword full force at a weakened Megatron and he was able to catch it.
    •He had the sheer will-power to stand up against Unicron while the latter was trying to control him.
    •He destroyed a Unicron avatar the size of a skyscraper with ONE PUNCH!
    •He created the Dark Star Saber which shattered the Star Saber.
    •Surgery was performed on him while he was awake.
    •His forces were quickly able to conquer Jasper after the Autobots fled.
    •His origin, while a narratored flashback, is well-explained, giving Megatron a really good motivation.
    •His retirement from the Decepticons actually makes sense compared to "another Megatron" I will get to. After all these years of bringing nothing but war and death, Unicron finally makes Megatron feel the same torment others felt due to Megatron''s tyranny. Imagine the pain you would feel when unwillingly sharing your soul with a God who is revolved around chaos? And he just left, not wanting to be involved in war anyomore.

Cons:
    •Like Bayverse and Animated Megatron, he follows the odd tradition of being on life support for a descent amount of time.
    •Even though he said Starscream is worth more to him alive, he never said why.
    •He was tackled by ARCEE!
    •Killed by Bumblebee. After everything he's been through, he gets killed by Bumblebee and a NON-activated Star Saber.
    •The Omega Lock was destroyed immediately after he activated it.
    •"The whole trying to Cyber-form Earth thing" at the end of season 2 felt VERY forced, considering the fact he had the means to rebuild Cybertron. Other Megatrons wants to Cyber-form Earth because they have no other options left, while Prime Megatron just decided to Cyber-form Earth for no reason besides "I'm the bad guy, mwa ha ha".

Overall: 8/10: Frank Welker shines at making a great villain who is addicted to purple zombie chocolate.

#1: IDW
    Reason:
    While I didn't read most of the IDW comics, I read a good enough amount that made this Megatron #1. I read all of the MTMTE comics through Barnes and Noble, a majestical place where you can read anything, from old to new comics or books. It's like a library, but better. I also read some stuff from TFWiki. Anyway, this Megatron is basically what Megatrons should be: a complex, 3 dimensional villain with a compelling backstory. He's not only a great villain, he's also a great character overall. He has changed so much in the comics, I almost didn't recognize him in MTMTE. This Megatron is what makes him on par with great villains like Thanos, Scar, or the Joker. THIS is how Megatron should be like in the movies.

Pros:
    •His origin story is shown and not just in a narrorated flashback.
    •His origin is sad enough to make you root for him.
    •He actually had a reason to keep Starscream around. Starscream gives him the need to watch his back and stay alert.
    •The fact that he was able to inspire Decepticons, who at the time were so low on resources that they resorted to cannibalism, to fight once more.
    •He one shots a Skyscraper in All Hail Megatron
    •Is said that he can come up with 1,000's of battle plans per minute.
    •Beated Overlord
    •He's able to beat a Starscream that's fully powered by Ore-13
    •He tanked the Kinetic Harpoon, a satellite based weapons that has the firepower of a Nuke and goes at the speed of Mac 10.
    •He battled the Decptigod (I know, cheesy name) and did massive damage to it.
    •His conversation with Optimus Prime in Chaos Thoery is absolutely terrifying, showcasing how far Megatron has fallen from the hero he used to be. He taunts Optimus so much that Optimus wants to kill him.
    •Takes on Devastator
    •Defeated Iron man and Dr. Doom
    •He's one of the best parts of MTMTE.
    •His redemption arc is well thought out and pretty sad, actually making you feel for the character as he thinks about how it all went wrong. And how he can make it right.
    •I like the fact that they made him a pacifist.
    •Killed the DJD. I guess that goes against the point above, huh?

Con:
    •The reason he became an Autobot made no sense. He just made friends with Bumblebee, who died. Thing is there wasn't enough time to establish their friendship, so Megatron shouldn't have reacted that way.
    9/10: Best part: You can use any voice
    edited December 2018
    Beast Wars/Machines
    I'm not done yet!

#0: Beast Era:
    Reason:
    As you all may know, I absolutely love Beast Wars and there are multiple reasons why I kept watching it. There's the interesting story and the awesome characters, but another reason why I kept watching was because of the portrayal of Megatron. This Megatron has a very different personality than most Megatrons. He's still evil and a force to be reckoned with, but it's his deceptive charisma and sense of humor that makes him so different. And there's the fact that while most Megatron's had an army, he only had a small crew of criminals. He's definitely at his best in Beast Wars, always playing 3 steps ahead while being very charasmatic. And while Beast Machines butchered a lot of character personalities and took away Megatron's sense of humor, he was still a great, yet terrifying, villain. The reason why he's ranked #0 is because like @UrAverageMalaka stated, he's not really a version of Megatron. So while IDW Megatron is the greatest Megatron, Beast Era "Megatron" is the greatest villain in all of Transformers history. Yeeeeess

Pros:
    •Yeeeeeessss
    •He successfully stole the Golden Disk and betrayed his mentor all in one go.
    •He killed Optimus Primal. And all he did in that episode was sit in a chair and manipulate events.
    •He managed to conquer Cybertron by himself.
    •He tanked all of the Maximal's combined gunfire.
    •He plays Tarantulas and Blackaracnia like a fiddle in the Season 1 Finale. In fact, he played them like a fiddle all the tim.e
    •He was able to bring Rampage under his control.
    •He let Terrorsaur lead since he knew Terrorsaur was so incompetent, he'd humiliate himself. Terrorsaur did just that and never tried to betray Megs again.
    •He admits to his weaknesses and defeats.
    •He perfected cloning. What I like is that he didn't perfect it the first few time, and had to do it multiple times which shows character development.
    •He doesn't underestimate the Maximal's most of the time. As I quote:
    -"The Maximals are many things, but fools they are not."
    •Accessed Vector Sigma and manipulated Tankor/Rhinox.
    •Even when he was in the body of a Diagnostic Drone, he was still able to give the Maximal's trouble.
    •He created his own strain of the Hate Plague.
    •His attempt at killing Optimus Prime is legendary.
    •He became a God.
    •He's the only villain I know who plays with a Rubber Ducky and effectively wiped out the population of his home planet.
    •Most Megatrons are usually serious or angry so that they can be menacing. What makes this Megatron so menacing is how calm he is. It shows that he has full confidence in himself and that he's in full control of the situation, even if his enemies don't even know it. You may call it cockiness, but remember, there have been multiple times where he won.
    •His victories had am actual effect in the plot. For example, he managed to stop both if the Maximal's attempts at going home, he stole Sentinel, gained new members, etc.
    •He gave a reason as to why he kept treacherous minions. They kept him on his toes and upped his wits. And if one had **** card, he would incorporate it into his own plans (for example, the Nemesis).
    •He had a small crew of insane criminals that either had their own plans or betray him. Everything should of gone to crap a long time ago, but he managed to persist and be a constant threat.
    •Megatron actually found the Ark early on in the show and could've killed Optimus Prime long ago. But, unlike most villains, he stopped and thought about the consequences, and decided that changing time was too risky. It was he had no other options, that he had to kill Prime. The fact that he decided against it the first time shows that he isn't stupid.
    •His motivations are mostly revealed before his assassination attempt on Optimus Prime. In his speech, he mentions how the Maximals ruled over the Predacons due to the Autobot and Decepticon war, and, by Megatron's words, "treated them like slaves". So, the entire Maximal faction is in the wrong as well. You may think he's lying, but the thing is, he's monolging to himself; why would he lie to himself?. And there's the fact that he says it with so much anger that you can tell he's telling the truth about Predacons being mistreated. It kinda makes you feel bad for him.

Cons:
    •He killed Inferno. #JusticeForInferno
    •He got defeated by a fart.
    •He's got nothing on Rhinox.
    •Immediately after becoming a GOD, he gets killed.
    •Even though he was an effective leader, he didn't give a crap about his team. This resulted in many members dying or betraying him, until the was only Waspinator and Megatron left when the show ended (Blackaracnia too, but she became a Maximal).The only member he PROBABLY cared about was Inferno, who still died. It was an accident though.

Overall: 10/10: This villain has a 3 dimensional personality, able to take the most extreme and viscous measures to win, and he has funny a sense of humor. Definitely deserves the title of Megatron. Yeeeeesss

So that''s it. I know there was a one month gap done the line, but I finally managed to finish it. Better late than never!

Now I have a question: How would you rank all these Megatrons?
  • Jazz444Jazz444 Posts: 2,021
    G1 (Cartoon)
    I always say this you can’t beat the #1 Original
  • G1 (Cartoon)
    G1, old school, all the way.
  • G1 (Cartoon)
    It was definitely between G1 & BW, but I just had to go with the original.
    I do love that BW Megatron (BM not so much! Lol!) he was so funny, and always makes me laugh!
    But, since this is a voting for the best incarnation of the character, I don’t think you can get any better that G1
  • KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    G1 (Cartoon)
    G1, old school, all the way.

I’ll crush you with my bare hands!
    He’s my favourite too I grew up with him and Galvatron, I have MP36 if you want to see pics :smiley:
    G1 (Cartoon)
    All of the Megatrons on the poll are awesome, but I'm surprised that there's not one vote for Marvel's Megatron! He's the original Megs (the Marvel comic -- cover-dated September -- hit newsstands in May of '84, almost four months before the G1 cartoon debuted), and if you count the Regeneration One continuation of the Marvel series...
    ...he's one of the most successful, since he brutally wiped out humanity (a handful of people survived an were assimilated into Nebulos) and "ruled" the charred ruins of Earth for years before the Autobots discovered what he'd done.

To digress a bit -- Regeneration One actually upset me a bit when I first read it. As a kid, I read those first ~40 issues of the Marvel series over and over again, and to see those characters -- the originals! -- decimated in ways that make the '86 movie deaths seem trivial...well.... XD
    edited December 2018
    G1 (Cartoon)
    Jmd wrote: »
    All of the Megatrons on the poll are awesome, but I'm surprised that there's not one vote for Marvel's Megatron! He's the original Megs (the Marvel comic -- cover-dated September -- hit newsstands in May of '84, almost four months before the G1 cartoon debuted), and if you count the Regeneration One continuation of the Marvel series...
    ...he's one of the most successful, since he brutally wiped out humanity (a handful of people survived an were assimilated into Nebulos) and "ruled" the charred ruins of Earth for years before the Autobots discovered what he'd done.

To digress a bit -- Regeneration One actually upset me a bit when I first read it. As a kid, I read those first ~40 issues of the Marvel series over and over again, and to see those characters -- the originals! -- decimated in ways that make the '86 movie deaths seem trivial...well.... XD

Yea, but the END was so anticlimactic it hurt.
    Plus his actionmaster-eque Ratchet Pimpmobile was hilarious.
    G1 (Cartoon)
    BlackRazak wrote: »
    Yea, but the END was so anticlimactic it hurt.
    Plus his actionmaster-eque Ratchet Pimpmobile was hilarious.

We need Megatron's Ratchet Pimpmobile as a playable character in Forged to Fight. C'mon Kabam, make this happen! ;)