Grimlock's heavy attack mechanic not working properly?

I've wondered about Grimlock for a while. The wording on his heavy attack is as follows:
"Renews the duration of his Melee Buffs and Shrugs off the impact of enemy attacks when in the dinobot form."

It certainly renews his melee buffs, but he doesn't seem to shrug off any attacks. Based off other bots with similar wording, it means that attacks while he is firing a heavy shouldn't stagger Grimlock or knock him down, correct? I note that his signature ability "shrugs off" damaging debuffs, while Mirage's wording states that he "shrugs off" ranged attacks and burn debuffs when in F1 car mode. In these situations, the bots are immune to the attacks, or remove the debuff.

Whenever I get hit while using a heavy attack with Grimlock, I seem to be staggered/knocked down as normal. I figured it should be the equivalent of a temporary unstoppable buff, shouldn't it?

Is this wording erroneous, is the ability broken, or is it having an effect that I can't detect?

I have tried to test it in different situations during combat, but I can't detect any beneficial effects.

If a moderator sees this, I wasn't sure whether to list it as a bug, or find an answer in the general discussion area.

Comments

  • JKINJKIN Posts: 483
    There are a million bot descriptions that don’t live up to the bot itself. Thank you for pointing this out.

    I noticed this long ago, but I didn’t really want to shout it out.
  • NutjobNutjob Posts: 149
    JKIN wrote: »
    There are a million bot descriptions that don’t live up to the bot itself. Thank you for pointing this out.

    I noticed this long ago, but I didn’t really want to shout it out.

    A million? That's a lot of bugs to fix before they get around to releasing new bots!
  • The wording could be better, but he shrugs off the damage caused, rather than the impact of the hit.

    If you watch when he gets hit mid heavy, he’ll take the hit, but no damage is taken. Try it against a single hard hitting attack, like shockwave’s sp2, second hit of prowls sp2, or bludgeons. Handy damage avoiding tactic if your combo count isn’t important to you.

    They could differentiate between his sig and this ability a bit better, but it is what it is. It’s not a bug or glitch or anything, just could be worded better
  • JKINJKIN Posts: 483
    Nutjob wrote: »
    JKIN wrote: »
    There are a million bot descriptions that don’t live up to the bot itself. Thank you for pointing this out.

    I noticed this long ago, but I didn’t really want to shout it out.

    A million? That's a lot of bugs to fix before they get around to releasing new bots!

    At least a few hundred. There are multiple per bot.
  • NutjobNutjob Posts: 149
    The wording could be better, but he shrugs off the damage caused, rather than the impact of the hit.

    If you watch when he gets hit mid heavy, he’ll take the hit, but no damage is taken. Try it against a single hard hitting attack, like shockwave’s sp2, second hit of prowls sp2, or bludgeons. Handy damage avoiding tactic if your combo count isn’t important to you.

    They could differentiate between his sig and this ability a bit better, but it is what it is. It’s not a bug or glitch or anything, just could be worded better

    Interesting. I'll see if I can replicate it. I have been focused on him being knocked down, so I haven't paid attention to damage. Thanks for the information.
  • Nutjob wrote: »
    The wording could be better, but he shrugs off the damage caused, rather than the impact of the hit.

    If you watch when he gets hit mid heavy, he’ll take the hit, but no damage is taken. Try it against a single hard hitting attack, like shockwave’s sp2, second hit of prowls sp2, or bludgeons. Handy damage avoiding tactic if your combo count isn’t important to you.

    They could differentiate between his sig and this ability a bit better, but it is what it is. It’s not a bug or glitch or anything, just could be worded better

    Interesting. I'll see if I can replicate it. I have been focused on him being knocked down, so I haven't paid attention to damage. Thanks for the information.

    Alternatively, when your attacking grimlock, tag him with a ranged shot as he’s coming out of dinobot form. It’ll still hit but again no damage. At least it gives the gap to get a combo in though.
  • KittenKitten Posts: 778
    He doesn’t take any damage while in dinosaur mode
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,337
    Nutjob wrote: »
    The wording could be better, but he shrugs off the damage caused, rather than the impact of the hit.

    If you watch when he gets hit mid heavy, he’ll take the hit, but no damage is taken. Try it against a single hard hitting attack, like shockwave’s sp2, second hit of prowls sp2, or bludgeons. Handy damage avoiding tactic if your combo count isn’t important to you.

    They could differentiate between his sig and this ability a bit better, but it is what it is. It’s not a bug or glitch or anything, just could be worded better

    Interesting. I'll see if I can replicate it. I have been focused on him being knocked down, so I haven't paid attention to damage. Thanks for the information.

    I use it to tank the last hit of a special against opponents on the HA mod in raids. Refreshes buffs, gain another buff (sometimes two) and don't take damage. It can be hard to time and then you have to play from being knocked down and you also can't counter the special, but it can be a fun thing to try when bored
  • kranderskranders Posts: 408
    The timing window is very small, I've only found it work the instant he transforms right before his heavy is shot. I actually submitted this as a bug long ago because I always noticed it when hitting him with a ranged because it would not interrupt his heavy attack and he was on my AM lanes. Then the description was updated on his abilities to have the "shrug off" effect.
  • SlayerSlayer Posts: 326
    kranders wrote: »
    The timing window is very small, I've only found it work the instant he transforms right before his heavy is shot. I actually submitted this as a bug long ago because I always noticed it when hitting him with a ranged because it would not interrupt his heavy attack and he was on my AM lanes. Then the description was updated on his abilities to have the "shrug off" effect.

    Ranged heavy attack shrugs off range light attacks anyway
    But tantrum's heavy is an exception.
  • BaRdYaAmNBaRdYaAmN Posts: 374
    Slayer wrote: »
    kranders wrote: »
    The timing window is very small, I've only found it work the instant he transforms right before his heavy is shot. I actually submitted this as a bug long ago because I always noticed it when hitting him with a ranged because it would not interrupt his heavy attack and he was on my AM lanes. Then the description was updated on his abilities to have the "shrug off" effect.

    Ranged heavy attack shrugs off range light attacks anyway
    But tantrum's heavy is an exception.

    Tantrum's got a weird heavy, unlike literally every other heavy attack his doesn't destroy range attacks, heavy or otherwise 😕
  • Darm0kDarm0k Posts: 1,418
    BaRdYaAmN wrote: »
    Slayer wrote: »
    kranders wrote: »
    The timing window is very small, I've only found it work the instant he transforms right before his heavy is shot. I actually submitted this as a bug long ago because I always noticed it when hitting him with a ranged because it would not interrupt his heavy attack and he was on my AM lanes. Then the description was updated on his abilities to have the "shrug off" effect.

    Ranged heavy attack shrugs off range light attacks anyway
    But tantrum's heavy is an exception.

    Tantrum's got a weird heavy, unlike literally every other heavy attack his doesn't destroy range attacks, heavy or otherwise 😕

    I wonder if his is considered melee? I mean, it doesn’t go across the whole screen either.
  • NutjobNutjob Posts: 149
    It sounds like this part of Grimlock's ability has questionable use. I guess it's just a bit of a bonus if it tanks some damage for you.

    With the wording, I expected it to prevent him being interrupted/knocked down when he transforms to launch a heavy attack. Maybe that would be too powerful and lead to people just spamming heavies with him.

    A wording change from 'shrugs off' to 'immune to damage' would probably clarify things better.
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,337
    Darm0k wrote: »
    BaRdYaAmN wrote: »
    Slayer wrote: »
    kranders wrote: »
    The timing window is very small, I've only found it work the instant he transforms right before his heavy is shot. I actually submitted this as a bug long ago because I always noticed it when hitting him with a ranged because it would not interrupt his heavy attack and he was on my AM lanes. Then the description was updated on his abilities to have the "shrug off" effect.

    Ranged heavy attack shrugs off range light attacks anyway
    But tantrum's heavy is an exception.

    Tantrum's got a weird heavy, unlike literally every other heavy attack his doesn't destroy range attacks, heavy or otherwise 😕

    I wonder if his is considered melee? I mean, it doesn’t go across the whole screen either.

    I think Tantrums heavy is a melee attack that deals ranged energy damage. Like Primals heavy is a ranged attack that deals melee damage.
Sign In or Register to comment.