Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

The Point of Wazzzpinator

I get that he's supposed to reduce your resistance and make careless opponents waste their Specials when they most need it, but this bug seems pretty useless otherwise. Or am I missing out on something here?

Comments

• ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited February 2019
    Waspinator can hit very very hard under the right conditions, especially when he is under 25% health.

He works extremely well in resistance mod lanes, reducing the effectiveness of defense buffs, and outright nullifying resistance buffs when landing heavy attacks.

He is also very useful in AM, where you get a 2nd chance every single battle on the revive Sig. You can just heal him for the next battle instead of using a revive, or just roll the dice and hope you ninja a perfect round.

The one biggest drawback to waspinator is vs reflect ranged when he gets his ranged speed buff. Makes it tough to dodge the bounceback vs bots like rhinox. Forces you to switch to a melee game, which is not his style. He works when employing a heavy weave attack pattern similar to IH.

He is also weak vs nullify bots, which are ironically mostly tact bots, because he has only a couple buffs that are easily neutralized by UM, Cyclonus and Scream.

He is, however, a great bot vs brawlers if you don't want to bring a tact, and BC since he never Crits.

He has grown on me quite a bit, and I often take him over IH unless I absolutely need a reliable burn debuff.
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    I'm battling with my inner voice as to whether or not to take him to R5 instead of Megatronus...

Wasp has the mulligan and he has a nice rhythmic playstyle and setup and his sp2 can hit so so so had, has good synergy, amazing range game under 50%, lethal under 25%...

But Megatronus is Megatronus.

Anyway, OP, I would suggest you just aren't playing Wasp correctly
    DaveJL wrote: »
    I'm battling with my inner voice as to whether or not to take him to R5 instead of Megatronus...

Wasp has the mulligan and he has a nice rhythmic playstyle and setup and his sp2 can hit so so so had, has good synergy, amazing range game under 50%, lethal under 25%...

I dislike Megatronus for this one reason:

When I am in a combo and he is close to filling a bar, I expect to have a special ready to end a combo as you would with any other bot that fills power with each hit.

Too many times I've been caught with my pants down tapping the special button, but there's no special to throw because of his unique power gain.

I eat a combo to the face as a result, or worse, an uncontested special attack.

It's for this reason I refuse to use him.
  • Manthro wrote: »

When I am in a combo and he is close to filling a bar, I expect to have a special ready to end a combo as you would with any other bot that fills power with each hit.

Too many times I've been caught with my pants down tapping the special button, but there's no special to throw because of his unique power gain.

Very true. Throws me out of rhythm all the time too. At least soundwave’s is manageable.

@Manthro seriously wasp as a BC counter? Gotta admit I’ve never thought of that, knew IH was for similar reasons. Will give it a try
    Manthro wrote: »

Very true. Throws me out of rhythm all the time too. At least soundwave’s is manageable.

@Manthro seriously wasp as a BC counter? Gotta admit I’ve never thought of that, knew IH was for similar reasons. Will give it a try

The advantage wasp has over IH as a BC counter is twofold. He will purify bleed on revive if you die, and you have the ability to purify bleed debuffs if you run beast squad anyway. Therefore, you can make the mistake of eating a special attack and not melt away, unlike IH.
    I find the Megatronus bar filling anticipation very hard too. I've resorted to using them as a counter or anticipation rather than a combo ender.

Wasp is also better than IH IMO because of the quick ranged attacks. Can pummel BC at distance more reliably.

@Mr_Wonderful same goes for demotron I believe - he only crits on heavys or specials with the impair charges. I could be wrong, but I don't think he melee hits will crit if you don't have the crit chance mastery applied (but wasp and IH will crit if you have that applied too)
  • Faithz17Faithz17 Posts: 842
    Weak against UM, Cyclonus and scream?? They can only nullify wasp if he gets hit. So... don’t get hit. :D:p
  • JKINJKIN Posts: 514
    Seriously, I wrote about 100 words on this, but then I read all of the other comments and all my points were covered and more so I just deleted it.
    Good job, community!
    JKIN wrote: »
    Seriously, I wrote about 100 words on this, but then I read all of the other comments and all my points were covered and more so I just deleted it.
    Good job, community!

then you wrote an additional 33 words telling us how you deleted 100 words lol
    Faithz17 wrote: »
    Weak against UM, Cyclonus and scream?? They can only nullify wasp if he gets hit. So... don’t get hit. :D:p

Not getting hit works against UM and Scream, sure... But Cyclonus is a rat bastard. That dark field triggers and can nullify wasps ranged buff easily, and he doesn't have to touch you.
  • SlayerSlayer Posts: 1,085

Not getting hit works against UM and Scream, sure... But Cyclonus is a rat bastard. That dark field triggers and can nullify wasps ranged buff easily, and he doesn't have to touch you.

after cyclonus nullification, does wasp gets them buffs back eventually? like it works for bosses in spotlight? ive never fought against cyclonus using wasp.
  • Faithz17Faithz17 Posts: 842
    Only if you are near Cyclonus, then his dark field will affect you. Just stay far away and range him and you won’t be affected by him at all.

To be honest, I don’t really pay much attention to buffs or debuffs. My wasp hits pretty hard with or without buffs anyway.
  • Well dudes, I tried my Wasp with an impartial mind and using all you suggestions, and I've got to say- pretty amazing Bot. Most tanky Bots quickly melt against him, and that revive idea @Manthro gave me worked like a charm. He's perfect for taking out Primal and BC, two Bots that give me PTSD. All in all,thank you all for showing me the error of my ways. The Universe may hate Waspinator, but I sure as Hell don't now.
    edited February 2019
    Slayer wrote: »

after cyclonus nullification, does wasp gets them buffs back eventually? like it works for bosses in spotlight? ive never fought against cyclonus using wasp.

No, they do not come back. The buffs that come back on bosses are from mods.

Wasp only gets the ranged buff when he drops under 50%, or if he starts the fight under 50%.

Since there is no way to trigger it again, if it gets nullified in a fight, it's gone until your next battle.
  • BaRdYaAmNBaRdYaAmN Posts: 1,506
    I kinda wish his resistance debuffs were permanent when you activate a special, just so you can do MAXIMUM DAMAGE
  • BaRdYaAmN wrote: »
    I kinda wish his resistance debuffs were permanent when you activate a special, just so you can do MAXIMUM DAMAGE

Well it does when you do an SP3. The Resistance Debuffs stay there until the SP3 ends. That's why I fire 3 ranged shots instead of going in a combo, to get all 3 of those Resistance Debuffs. Sometimes if I'm lucky, you can pull a heavy and get 4! The damage is outstanding.
  • BaRdYaAmNBaRdYaAmN Posts: 1,506
    I mean all his specials, otherwise I'd rank up my 5* of him.
    Or maybe I'm being petty, who knows?
  • Gunz0Gunz0 Posts: 2,949
    The point of Waspinator is to be put on a Laser Guidance Module or a high signature level Nightbird's Mark on the final tile of your base. Magic will happen, your opponent will poo bricks
    JKIN wrote: »
    Good job, community!

0sr7l4bd4nca.jpg
    BaRdYaAmN wrote: »
    I mean all his specials, otherwise I'd rank up my 5* of him.
    Or maybe I'm being petty, who knows?

Demo class is meant for burst damage, so generally you need to time things properly. Waspinator has certain timings to use for his special attacks