Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Ultra Magnus vs Starscream

Who's better? I have 5* versions of each. Duped SS, unduped UM. I like Magnus alot in very specific situations such as Primal, and bots who have a ranged melee like Bludgeon, Drift, Kickback etc..and his ranged is 100% IF you can land the shot...
Starscream on the other hand nullifies more stuff, but at a lower chance.
I'd like to hear the pros and cons of both from players of both.
Thoughts?

Comments

• KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    edited April 2019
    You know, according to Kabam, Starscream needs a buff to be on par with UM. Yet a lot of people disagree.

The two are utility bots only. One for armor countering, one for buff countering.

In the end: buy OG Prime and be done with it.
  • DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    I already have a 5* OG Prime on my roster:)
    Happy to have him, but a good utility bot is a good thing to have.
  • As they are utility bots as you say, I would base my choice on who else you have at hand / similar level.
    If arcee and prowl for instance, then UM.
    If WB and thunder, then SS.
  • Beastdad wrote: »

Yes obviously there is no debating who is the king of Tact's.

I’m on the fence between G1 Megatron and prime for best tact. Both are great for so different reasons that it’s hard to separate them
  • Beastdad wrote: »
    Beastdad wrote: »

Yes obviously there is no debating who is the king of Tact's.

I’m on the fence between G1 Megatron and prime for best tact. Both are great for so different reasons that it’s hard to separate them

I agree with this, but Prime gets the nod because he's well... Prime

If I was only going to have one bot for the entire game, I'd want it to be Optimus.

Depends on the opponent and possible mods for me. Mod heavy, buff heavy opponents are easy work for Megatron, where prime might struggle against say, energon shield if it was still around. Primes bleeds, harder hitting specials and all round higher attack, plus ratchet synergy make him a better option against vanilla opponents.

Both are great though and I’d have no hesitation to double up on tact’s to get both in. Just a question of who gets the support after that..... I’d do both of them, but I wouldn’t go further to include both shockwave and ratchet.
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    I'm a bit biased, Ultra Magnus was my second 4* ever and while I was bummed at first (I wanted Optimus), he's really grown on me. If you can ninja it, Starscream probably has the better kit but he's very squishy. Magnus is a beast versus every Brawler in the game and can hold his own versus most other classes.
    Honestly with all of the antibleed abilities that Brawlers have gotten, G1 Prime definitely isn't the best Tact anymore. That's gotta be G1 Megs at this point.
  • KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    Definitely Starscrem he deals more damage and has much more utility. Catch is he’s ranged centred and you need to be skilled to play him right but once you get the hang of it he’s pretty deadly, ask @Manthro if you want starboy tips I think he has a high level one
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited April 2019
    DrShotgun wrote: »
    Who's better? I have 5* versions of each. Duped SS, unduped UM. I like Magnus alot in very specific situations such as Primal, and bots who have a ranged melee like Bludgeon, Drift, Kickback etc..and his ranged is 100% IF you can land the shot...
    Thoughts?

There is no comparison.

Starscream is easily better than UM, in all facets except for defense/tanking damage. In many matchups he trumps even OGP and OGMT.

Better damage output, better special attacks, better skillset overall, better synergies.

Nullify makes him a spotlight all star when awakened. He can take on soooo many irritating mods, and his S2 is improved for armour breaks. Even before that, his nullify acts like an armour break anyway.

Playstyle is arguably the only drawback and is different, but you get used to him quickly.
  • OptimalOptimus_MV1OptimalOptimus_MV1 Posts: 1,367
    edited April 2019
    Ultra Magnus is better than screamer.
    Starscream requires the null ray (and the dupe, which i know you have) to be good, otherwise he is mediocre. Magnus may not be the best tactician but he certainly is not the worst. Magnus's armor break can do more than CowardSeeker's null ray at times. Especially against bots like primal. His damage is generally better and his special 2 can do more on his hammer attack or ranged shot, depending on the type of resistance and how much of it you have. He can also live against some attacks that starscream cannot, due to his defensiveness. But i have to say that Starscream is better for mods.
    But starscreams specials usually do not do much, special 1 and 3( if the enemy has littile to no buffs.) But special 2 is decent.
    UM is very underrated, and he deserves a buff, like kabam SHOULD HAVE DONE with the 8.0 update. Both bots are good, but UM is better.
  • Gunz0Gunz0 Posts: 2,949
    TL;DR:
    Starscream is better for mods

Behold, the full potential of (awakened) Starscream: https://youtu.be/8Rmk-wLgjIM

I've just forged my 4* Scream into my 5* one, haven't played much with him yet, but judging from a short fight against Primal, I guess he miiiiiighhht be the second best option against ROTK Primal
    @Gunz0 very nice. So his value is really starting to shine.
    So looks as if he'd be a good raid team member aye?
    Will Starscream stop the unrelenting force?
    @Gunz0 very nice. So his value is really starting to shine.
    So looks as if he'd be a good raid team member aye?

I don't see how Scream can do much in raids tbh. Sure, he will be a poor man's counter to Robotronus (especially if RR's awakened), a good counter to Security Module and Prime Module. That's pretty much Scream can do in raids.

I guess PvE missions are where he'll truly shine
  • kranderskranders Posts: 479
    Manthro wrote: »
    Thoughts?

There is no comparison.

Starscream is easily better than UM, in all facets except for defense/tanking damage. In many matchups he trumps even OGP and OGMT.

Better damage output, better special attacks, better skillset overall, better synergies.

Nullify makes him a spotlight all star when awakened. He can take on soooo many irritating mods, and his S2 is improved for armour breaks. Even before that, his nullify acts like an armour break anyway.

Playstyle is arguably the only drawback and is different, but you get used to him quickly.

You can't really compare them, but not why you've stated. Starscream is a glass cannon and UM is a tank. Both are equal but different. Without a high sig Starscream isn't going to easily nullify other buffs and you have to land the ranged hits to be effective. He is much better with the update but unless you've used UM at a high level you can't compare them effectively.

UM handles armor and melee buffs and can tank most everything else. Factor in the attack bonus from his sig and his damage output increases significantly. UM also has great synergies with Prowl and Arcee for an autobot team. Use him and Galvatron last on spotlight bosses for a great combo.