Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Five Star Brawlers Investment

Finally got that primal dupe after like a year (he was my first five star pull ever), and now also have a fresh five star grimlock, so of course I have decision anxiety. Which is better?
-As much as I love a good heavy spam, I feel like Grimlock's damage capacity is held back by the need to constantly refresh his buffs. He's also unduped so no DOT mitigation compared to Primal's armor thing
-On the other hand, at least grimlock has the allies synergy w my OGP, whereas my main squad has no beast wars characters currently, and probably won't until they put out five star scorponok in the featured bot rotation
-The third option is of course to just wait I guess.

Comments

• KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    Even without synergies, Primal is definitely the way to go
  • Dab. Thanks kiddos
  • BaRdYaAmNBaRdYaAmN Posts: 1,506
    Kitten wrote: »
    Even without synergies, Primal is definitely the way to go

Beast purification definitely helps with his Sig, at least if you're low on armour buffs anyway
  • BrickT1973BrickT1973 Posts: 334
    Go with Primal. He’s one of the best bots in the game, tied for best Brawler with Tantrum. Grimlock however, is of very little use without his signature, and even with it, he’s still not that good.
    BrickT1973 wrote: »
    Go with Primal. He’s one of the best bots in the game, tied for best Brawler with Tantrum. Grimlock however, is of very little use without his signature, and even with it, he’s still not that good.

Yeah I just ranked up mine today, were it not for the fact I have nothing to spend ore on right now I'd forge his 4* already
    Speaking of whom...
    qy4ata3h07ts.png
  • Canuck33Canuck33 Posts: 244
    Of the 2 choices sure primal might be a bit better. But as for the best brawler its MV1, hes way better than both primal and tantrum

• JIMMY_SABJIMMY_SAB Posts: 1,008
    Canuck33 wrote: »
    Of the 2 choices sure primal might be a bit better. But as for the best brawler its MV1, hes way better than both primal and tantrum

Got my vote on that one MV1 for life!
  • JIMMY_SABJIMMY_SAB Posts: 1,008
    @FallingInStereo I say Primal for all the reasons but also because he is the best counter to Arcee (who we all know to be a killer, especially at high AM d lvl).
  • OptimalOptimus_MV1OptimalOptimus_MV1 Posts: 1,367
    edited August 2019

I agree, mv1 is superior, primal is inferior. But out of these options @FallingInStereo , i would also say to go for primal
  • lmao @BaRdYaAmN what timing

And those talking about MV1, my 4 star max forge 70 sig prime has been my go-to for eons (esp since my main warrior bot is drift). He's still my staple bot for raids since most of the time he powers through any HA. Even as my A team is now a full squad of r4 five stars, my 4 star MV1 is bae af
  • I duped my 5* Primal early on, upgraded him to R4, and decided to build a beast wars team around him. Best decision ever. Now I also have a fully maxed and awakened Cheetor, too. Just got Wasp to R3, too. Plus I have Rhinox, Skorp, and Dinobot as maxed 4* bots. Their synergies are awesome.
  • Canuck33 wrote: »

I would have to disagree for Primal.
    Mv1 has superior damage to Primal, but Primal has a lot more utility. Mv1 heals (and gains power if duped) from bleeds, even healing more than the damage, but Primal prevents most sources of Bleeds, which are Critical Hits when fighting most bots. Even if he was able to Bleed through Mods, Rhinox Ranged, Bonecrusher, if he is duped, he can reduce the duration and heal it off. He's extremely great against bleeds.

And that's just from the bleeds. Primal's Critical armor can prevent so much more. Kickback's Power Leaks, Ratchets Shocks, Ironhide's Critical Damage, Hound's Ammo, Mixmaster's Critical Damage.
    And that's him without Purification.

The "problem" with Primal is that if you are a guy that likes to inflict heavies, he may not be for you, since you would be coverting your precious armors. He does have compensation for this though, as hitting block gets you Melee buffs. He's also terrible against any Tac and I mean any, since they have easy ways to take out his armor. Mv1 isn't good against Tacs either but not as much a's Primal, since Mv1 can do a lot of damage under pressure.
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    You all talk like you get hit a lot, when you say you like Primal's armor.
  • You all talk like you get hit a lot, when you say you like Primal's armor.

It happens... and I like to test Primal a lot.
    See what can effect him and whatnot, y'know?
    That is the main point of Primal, to mitigate and prevent damage.
  • Canuck33Canuck33 Posts: 244
    I get that Primal can take more hits than MV1 for the most part but long fights MV1 actually reins supreme, so if you're planning on taking one of those 2 into high level AM primal isn't going to cut it for very long. You have to be good at evading damage so if you're satisfied with taking hits along the way then sure go Primal. But long term you will be disappointed in your decision and wish you had MV1 for that amazing signature and the ability to regain health on bleeds rather than just nullifying them. And i'll tell you, no one has a better special 1 than MV1, it comes fast and often and deals some sick damage. just today I dropped a 26k sp1 on mini boss galvatron in AM, primal might do 4k... lol
  • VoltronVoltron Posts: 998
    depending on your ability to get 5* resources, I would wait. R3..okay if you want to try...but anything R4+, wait until you are sure.

- duped Primal needs two other BW to be useful..outside of bleed DOT.
    - grim needs to be duped to be useful
    - you need to pull MV prime first

If you had to choose, it'll depends on what your needs are for a brawler... if you looking to braw, then MV Prime will be a solid choice.

For purifying, it'll be Grimlock (if duped) or Primal (if BW team)..not including TC.

Because R4+ a 5* takes a lot of resources...I lean towards purify because there are plenty of bots in other classes that can give damage. Being able to purify any DOT is a limited ability. I favor Grim because it's a solo bot. This of course is based on your luckiness to dupe Grim or pull two other BW bots.

• BrickT1973BrickT1973 Posts: 334

Primal has more utility than MV1 though.

MV1 has great health and damage, his strong armor and attack buffs amp him up even more, all of his specials are viable against all manner of bots, and in some situations, Last Stand can be a thing of beauty. Take that one necessary hit, give a quick medium combo and land a special 3, few can handle that. MV1s Willpower is strong, but you need to hit your opponent for it to work, unlike Primal, who heals naturally. Starscream and Megatron are MV1s greatest threats, since his buffs last so long and come so frequently. Having said that, nothing warms my heart more than taking MV1 against Bonecrusher and ripping him apart.

But Primal is better. For starters, his crit armor. It mitigates damage, negates many enemy abilities, and once duped, DOT effects expire faster and Bleeds heal him. Most Warriors Scouts and Demos rely on their critical hits for a lot of their damage, and it helps against Techs and Tacticians as well, though not as much. Attacking enemies who are blocking gives you melee buffs, letting him put pressure on bots better than almost every character in the game, especially if you get lucky with it. And his heavy>combo>special 3 is about the best sequence in the game. Extra special damage, full stack of armor, and an opponent with lower attack. Plus, you can repeat that sequence to great effect in endurance matches. He only has two “drawbacks” but both have ways around them. Most Tacticians can only land two or three Armor Breaks; as long as you have four or more and keep them, you’re all clear. Ultra Magnus is his greatest threat, and Starscream makes for a hard fight, but with some skill, you can beat them. G1 Prime and Megs permanent Armor Breaks spell death for Primal, but they’re not as easily accessible. And of course, heavy attacks aren’t recommended for most of the match, but he hits hard enough consistently enough that you don’t really need to use his heavys.

Don’t get me wrong, MV1 is a beast, put him on a team with his fellow Movie bots, and he’s one of the best. But Primals crit armor allows him an advantage over so many bots, and on the whole, his kit has more potential.
  • DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    Primal seems common lately...I got this one yesterdayzh997112x82y.jpg
    Seems Kabam really wants me to use a Beast team. I have all of them except Skorp and Wasp in 5*s and don't use any of them.
  • Gotta agree with Primal here.

I started off LOVING MV1. He was my general for a while, but the abilities of Primal (especially on a BW team) are just undeniable. MV1's synergies are far weaker when comparing the two, and since Primal only needs 2 other BW characters with him, this makes him the perfect staple in AMs and Raids. I can't remember the last time I lost a raid (except when I forget that I start one -_-) with a BW team. Purifying Harm Accelerators, shrugging off shocks, and getting an instant and refreshable attack buff with the added bonus of healing if a bleed is purified? B R U H

Primal is a legit savage. I was lucky enough to pull a 5* about 3 or 4 months ago and never looked back. All my top bots are BW.

@FallingInStereo if you have other BW characters, Primal is the winner for sure.
  • TechnobotTechnobot Posts: 661
    I'll be the contrarian here. Obviously, in a choice between an unduped Grimlock and a duped Primal, you go with Primal. But what if you have both Grim and Primal duped as 5-stars? I'm lucky to have that scenario. Now, granted, my Grim is at R4, while my Primal is still at R1 (I'm looking to get him up to R2 soon, as I now have the resources). Grimlock is a straight up monster when he is duped. In the recent Fog of War Special Missions, Grimlock has consistently been my go-to bot when facing Megatronus (and I carry R3 5*s Barricade and Mixmaster as well as Max 4*s Nanojack and Megatronus into the mission). At R4 Max, Sig 10, Forge 5/75, he is just about even with Tronus on Max Health and Attack, so it's pretty much an even fight and I will win that fight every single time (and I am an average player at best). I've even been able to beat Tronus with just an 80% Grimlock. Plus , even if my Grimlock is low on health, I'll throw him at Tronus first and he will weaken The Fallen significantly.

Grimlock is at his best in Raids. You throw multiple HAs on your Base, or have an BC/HA or NJ/HA combination on your base against me? That's just a green light for me to steal a bunch of your raid chips. Grimlock effectively neutralizes HA in 1 second and, as long as Grimlock can avoid a Special, HA is NEVER activated again. He can purify Bleeds, Shocks, Acid, and Burns just as quickly. And Grimlock's burns rip through that Nasty NJ Force Shield like nothing.

I get why Commanders love MV1, Primal, Tantrum, TC, even Motormaster as Brawlers (I'm partial to my maxed 4* Tantrum, TBH). But Grimlock deserves more love, especially when duped.
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 641
    I get that Primal can take more hits than MV1 for the most part but long fights MV1 actually reins supreme, so if you're planning on taking one of those 2 into high level AM primal isn't going to cut it for very long. You have to be good at evading damage so if you're satisfied with taking hits along the way then sure go Primal. But long term you will be disappointed in your decision and wish you had MV1 for that amazing signature and the ability to regain health on bleeds rather than just nullifying them. And i'll tell you, no one has a better special 1 than MV1, it comes fast and often and deals some sick damage. just today I dropped a 26k sp1 on mini boss galvatron in AM, primal might do 4k... lol

I completely agree with all points Primal without heavy deals less damage.....he is only used for beast team for purification against bleed shock path. Otherwise, I would never rank him up
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 641
    edited August 2019
    This game is about AM, so I would never rank up grim unless I have a lot of extra sparks. He can be used as alt team member for raid for sure. “Raid King”. There are so many other better bots to rank up though, unless my inventory is very very full, I would not rank him
  • SkBirdmanSkBirdman Posts: 391
    edited August 2019

Primal has more utility than MV1 though.

MV1 has great health and damage, his strong armor and attack buffs amp him up even more, all of his specials are viable against all manner of bots, and in some situations, Last Stand can be a thing of beauty. Take that one necessary hit, give a quick medium combo and land a special 3, few can handle that. MV1s Willpower is strong, but you need to hit your opponent for it to work, unlike Primal, who heals naturally. Starscream and Megatron are MV1s greatest threats, since his buffs last so long and come so frequently. Having said that, nothing warms my heart more than taking MV1 against Bonecrusher and ripping him apart.

But Primal is better. For starters, his crit armor. It mitigates damage, negates many enemy abilities, and once duped, DOT effects expire faster and Bleeds heal him. Most Warriors Scouts and Demos rely on their critical hits for a lot of their damage, and it helps against Techs and Tacticians as well, though not as much. Attacking enemies who are blocking gives you melee buffs, letting him put pressure on bots better than almost every character in the game, especially if you get lucky with it. And his heavy>combo>special 3 is about the best sequence in the game. Extra special damage, full stack of armor, and an opponent with lower attack. Plus, you can repeat that sequence to great effect in endurance matches. He only has two “drawbacks” but both have ways around them. Most Tacticians can only land two or three Armor Breaks; as long as you have four or more and keep them, you’re all clear. Ultra Magnus is his greatest threat, and Starscream makes for a hard fight, but with some skill, you can beat them. G1 Prime and Megs permanent Armor Breaks spell death for Primal, but they’re not as easily accessible. And of course, heavy attacks aren’t recommended for most of the match, but he hits hard enough consistently enough that you don’t really need to use his heavys.

Don’t get me wrong, MV1 is a beast, put him on a team with his fellow Movie bots, and he’s one of the best. But Primals crit armor allows him an advantage over so many bots, and on the whole, his kit has more potential.

It does but I think you and Canuck are speaking about different applications. In Spotlight I think Primal is better for the aforementioned utility. However in high level AM we are talking over 100k enemy bot health and 7000+ attack, so fights are damn long and taking hits isnt an option no matter who you are. (R5 5 stars can fall inside 10 basic hits on some nodes). Because of this higher damage output will always edge out damage resistance. This is where MV1 is better. And yes, Ive run both bots.
  • That's fair. I will say, we run a pretty mid-difficulty AM Map, so I don't have any experience there. Most of mine comes from experience in Spotlights, Raids, etc.
  • While both are really good Bots, I find Grimlock to be a bit squishy, and Primal is a lot more durable. At the end, all that matters is outlasting the opponent, and Primal exceeds at that.