Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Bot Buff Thread: Make Magnus Magnificent (Again???)

Let's face it Ultra Magnus is an awesome (looking) bot. So why should an awesome looking bot continue to suffer the humiliation of being benched by the majority of the players in the game? I mean after all, who wants to play a purely defensive oriented bot with uber-niche usage and low attack output? Nobody!

So let's give him (another) ability makeover and see if we can get him off the bench and back on the field again. There's an unused ability in his game files that relies on the usage of the Combo Meter and I think that it should be re-visited, only this time as a Signature Ability. Here's one modified take on it (the ability name is my own creation though):

Signature Ability: Art of War

Ultra Magnus learns more about his opponent with every strike, gaining 1% Block Penetration for each point on his Combo Meter. In addition, he has an 30%~60% chance to suppress new Armor, Melee, and Attack buffs on the opponent as long as he maintains a Combo Meter of 20~10 hits or more points.

I like this because it gives both ninjas and noobs something to work for. You can either rack up combo meter points for Block Penetration points or just keep a 10-20 hit range combo alive and suppress new buffs from appearing. This will in turn feed his abilities and specials below.

Abilities

Ranged Attacks - 100% chance to Nullify an Attack or Melee Buff.

(New) Crippling Blows - Ultra Magnus gains X% more Blocking Penetration while hitting into the block of an opponent with Broken Armor.

Special Attacks - Ultra Magnus crushes opponents with his hammer, converting Armor Buffs into Armor Breaks, each applying X% Armor reduction for 10 seconds.

SP1 - Gavel Crush

This ability has an X% chance to stun if the opponent has no abilities active and applies 50% Armor Penetration.

The guy is carrying around a giant hammer. The hammer should have a chance to stun. End of story.

SP2 - One For All

Stays the same

SP3 - Magnus Opus

X% chance to inflict Burn, dealing Heat Damage for X% Attack over 12 seconds. If any further successful special attacks deal Armor Break, deal immediate Heat Damage for X% Attack for each armor buff broken.

Magnus has always had low DoT damage with his burns, so this special might make it worth taking him to SP3 if other specials have the potential to reward low burn damage.

Anyway, that's my first pass on fixing UM, @Kabam Miike @Kabam Vydious

What would you guys, the player base, change about him?

Comments

• BaRdYaAmNBaRdYaAmN Posts: 1,506
    Synthwave wrote: »
    Let's face it Ultra Magnus is an awesome (looking) bot. So why should an awesome looking bot continue to suffer the humiliation of being benched by the majority of the players in the game? I mean after all, who wants to play a purely defensive oriented bot with uber-niche usage and low attack output? Nobody!

So let's give him (another) ability makeover and see if we can get him off the bench and back on the field again. There's an unused ability in his game files that relies on the usage of the Combo Meter and I think that it should be re-visited, only this time as a Signature Ability. Here's one modified take on it (the ability name is my own creation though):

Signature Ability: Art of War

Ultra Magnus learns more about his opponent with every strike, gaining 1% Block Penetration for each point on his Combo Meter. In addition, he has an 30%~60% chance to suppress new Armor, Melee, and Attack buffs on the opponent as long as he maintains a Combo Meter of 20~10 hits or more points.

I like this because it gives both ninjas and noobs something to work for. You can either rack up combo meter points for Block Penetration points or just keep a 10-20 hit range combo alive and suppress new buffs from appearing. This will in turn feed his abilities and specials below.

Abilities

Ranged Attacks - 100% chance to Nullify an Attack or Melee Buff.

(New) Crippling Blows - Ultra Magnus gains X% more Blocking Penetration while hitting into the block of an opponent with Broken Armor.

Special Attacks - Ultra Magnus crushes opponents with his hammer, converting Armor Buffs into Armor Breaks, each applying X% Armor reduction for 10 seconds.

SP1 - Gavel Crush

This ability has an X% chance to stun if the opponent has no abilities active and applies 50% Armor Penetration.

The guy is carrying around a giant hammer. The hammer should have a chance to stun. End of story.

SP2 - One For All

Stays the same

SP3 - Magnus Opus

X% chance to inflict Burn, dealing Heat Damage for X% Attack over 12 seconds. If any further successful special attacks deal Armor Break, deal immediate Heat Damage for X% Attack for each armor buff broken.

Magnus has always had low DoT damage with his burns, so this special might make it worth taking him to SP3 if other specials have the potential to reward low burn damage.

Anyway, that's my first pass on fixing UM, @Kabam Miike @Kabam Vydious

What would you guys, the player base, change about him?

I always thought if he kept those melee/range buffs for a few seconds after a special 2 that'd be a good way to deal extra damage
  • that1guythat1guy Posts: 374
    edited August 2019
    I like those ideas, but I think it should honestly be simplified. Here's my take, while taking a few elements from your post:

New Ability - Magnum Opus: All special attacks apply an armour break regardless if the target has armour buff or not. In addition, every x amount of hits on the combo meter allows for stackable additional damage for every special type attack.

This allows UM to act like a tactician, while at the same time giving him a skill that can be utilized by good players to get the most out of him. It won't be overpowered as it relies on the combo meter to build up, while concentrating it's power on special attacks, and not on hits throughout the fight.
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2019
    I like that take on him as well and agree about the usage of specials.

My thought with the Block Penetration route was more for the sake of characterization, as UM just looks like the kinda guy who would just keep bashing on you with the hammer until he just shatters your guard.

I do think regardless of what his kit is and how it deals damage, that his re-work needs to center around the Combo Meter though; Kabam was onto something there. Not sure why they didn't follow through with it.
  • Darm0kDarm0k Posts: 2,485
    I say don’t buff Ultra Magnus because I have to fight him in AM. Haha. Actually though, those aren’t too bad and won’t affect AM too much.
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    Darm0k wrote: »
    I say don’t buff Ultra Magnus because I have to fight him in AM. Haha. Actually though, those aren’t too bad and won’t affect AM too much.

Yeah, that was why I proposed this re-working of him. He'd still be the same pain in the ass bot to fight that he's always been in AM, but at least this re-work would make players want to use him.

Rhinox is the same way. If you can find a way to temporarily shift his shields to something offensive oriented, I'd definitely use him more. Right now all he is just a giant electrified fence for the AI to use on you at high AM levels when you punch him. It's dumb.
  • Bntyhntr3232_Bntyhntr3232_ Posts: 3,088
    I kind of think he needs a lot more to make him significant
  • The thing that puts me off going for sp2 is having to block and take damage to buff it. We all know how much that can wear him down after a while, especially against master bosses.

Haven’t really got any suggestions or alternatives to it though, but it puts me off ranking him up when he could be a mainstay in my team synergy wise, but as he is just doesn’t seem worth it.

His synergies need reworked as well, tact’s should have access to, and provide, unique synergies across the team. He has nothing in comparison to g1 megs from scream/shock/tronus/soundwave, and that’s just 1 tact. Dinobot has beast purify, swordmasters, sheildmasters and accompanying ally/enemy bonus from BW team. Prime has ratchet. Scream has seekers synergy and JF. All of them have something unique. Magnus has nothing that compares to this, except 2 kinda handy synergies with very usable bots, arcee and prowl. But again, Magnus needs to be providing more in terms of unique synergies
  • DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    I absolutely love UM. He's one of my favorite bots in the game,but don't use him much because of his very limited viability. He's only good for Primal and bots that throw melee objects. I agree he needs an update. I've been looking for an excuse to rank my 5* UM.