AM grimlock side step fail

小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
edited October 13 in General Discussion
Game tips says u can counter opponent after side stepping.....

But I died on grimlock so many times because he hits so fast after I side step, he will hit me before I hit him.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails. It tends to fail especially if you are short distance from him.


Should we say this is a bug or not?.......

Comments

  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
    Same with cheetor
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,682
    same with motormaster too. They are tricky to time properly
  • JIMMY_SABJIMMY_SAB Posts: 629
    小龙女 wrote: »
    Game tips says u can counter opponent after side stepping.....

    But I died on grimlock so many times because he hits so fast after I side step, he will hit me before I hit him.

    Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails. It tends to fail especially if you are short distance from him.


    Should we say this is a bug or not?.......

    What works for me is the delay your side step to the last possible moment and then immediately counter with Melee back before he does his 2nd attack.

    What also helped me was to slow down my side step swipe motion. It’s like a slow mo move now where my actual swipe motion is half the speed. Hard to explain.
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
    JIMMY_SAB wrote: »
    小龙女 wrote: »
    Game tips says u can counter opponent after side stepping.....

    But I died on grimlock so many times because he hits so fast after I side step, he will hit me before I hit him.

    Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails. It tends to fail especially if you are short distance from him.


    Should we say this is a bug or not?.......

    What works for me is the delay your side step to the last possible moment and then immediately counter with Melee back before he does his 2nd attack.

    What also helped me was to slow down my side step swipe motion. It’s like a slow mo move now where my actual swipe motion is half the speed. Hard to explain.

    For real? That actually works?
  • JIMMY_SABJIMMY_SAB Posts: 629
    小龙女 wrote: »
    JIMMY_SAB wrote: »
    小龙女 wrote: »
    Game tips says u can counter opponent after side stepping.....

    But I died on grimlock so many times because he hits so fast after I side step, he will hit me before I hit him.

    Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails. It tends to fail especially if you are short distance from him.


    Should we say this is a bug or not?.......

    What works for me is the delay your side step to the last possible moment and then immediately counter with Melee back before he does his 2nd attack.

    What also helped me was to slow down my side step swipe motion. It’s like a slow mo move now where my actual swipe motion is half the speed. Hard to explain.

    For real? That actually works?

    Yes and will become the way you do it vs everyone when they dash. That and shoot them in the face which is unreliable for reasons Kabam can’t explain.
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
    @JIMMY_SAB thanks I will try. Most of time against other bots I just side step. Ignore any timing, it always work.

    Just grimlock and cheetor on my path doesn’t sometimes.
  • that1guythat1guy Posts: 374
    edited October 14
    Usually, bots with longer reach will require you to delay your backsteps very slightly.

    It's honestly weird.
  • JKLJKL Posts: 745
    This the issue you're talking about?



    At some higher levels, it seems like the AI can create openings from minute openings that should not be openings. If they increase the AM levels available, I feel these situations will happen even more as the AI scale increases. It might be something Kabam needs to fine tune.
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
    JKL wrote: »
    This the issue you're talking about?



    At some higher levels, it seems like the AI can create openings from minute openings that should not be openings. If they increase the AM levels available, I feel these situations will happen even more as the AI scale increases. It might be something Kabam needs to fine tune.

    LOLOLOL

    Your video is on point and nailed it.

    Exactly what I was talking about.....
  • iBKiBK Posts: 181
    小龙女 wrote: »
    JKL wrote: »
    This the issue you're talking about?



    At some higher levels, it seems like the AI can create openings from minute openings that should not be openings. If they increase the AM levels available, I feel these situations will happen even more as the AI scale increases. It might be something Kabam needs to fine tune.

    LOLOLOL

    Your video is on point and nailed it.

    Exactly what I was talking about.....
    Oh boy, that must be maddening.
    I’ve never had an issu with Tantrum but AM Motormaster always seems to get me when I go to counter him. It’s always him.
  • BeastdadBeastdad Posts: 876
    Another "rule breaking" example in a long list of things that should not happen.
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
    @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Miike
    Any chance this can be fixed? It contradicts the games mechanics
  • BOFADBOFAD Posts: 461
    Playing devil's advocate here, I don't think its sidestepping or anything else, its timing. If you can't time things precisely, you get smacked. In your case, its the second attack from Grimlock that gets you. This would happen as well against Motormaster and probably against Galvatron, Megatron, and Scorp. You have to learn to be ready for the second attack before the first attack comes if that makes sense.

    If you watch the below video you can see the timing of when Grimlock comes in and me landing a full combo each time. Granted, I fight alot differently than most players as I don't lead with light attacks except during an intercept.

  • JIMMY_SABJIMMY_SAB Posts: 629
    This @BOFAD video illustrates the 2 points I was trying to make. It IS about timing and I found that my swipe motion is what helps me get that part right. Additionally, if you can master shooting a ranged when they dash then that is effective. Or you can just be a TFTF Shaolin Master like Bofad.
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
    BOFAD wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate here, I don't think its sidestepping or anything else, its timing. If you can't time things precisely, you get smacked. In your case, its the second attack from Grimlock that gets you. This would happen as well against Motormaster and probably against Galvatron, Megatron, and Scorp. You have to learn to be ready for the second attack before the first attack comes if that makes sense.

    If you watch the below video you can see the timing of when Grimlock comes in and me landing a full combo each time. Granted, I fight alot differently than most players as I don't lead with light attacks except during an intercept.


    @BOFAD thanks man. I always start swiping as soon as opponent start dashing. So how about you? How do you time it?
  • BOFADBOFAD Posts: 461
    edited October 14
    小龙女 wrote: »
    BOFAD wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate here, I don't think its sidestepping or anything else, its timing. If you can't time things precisely, you get smacked. In your case, its the second attack from Grimlock that gets you. This would happen as well against Motormaster and probably against Galvatron, Megatron, and Scorp. You have to learn to be ready for the second attack before the first attack comes if that makes sense.

    If you watch the below video you can see the timing of when Grimlock comes in and me landing a full combo each time. Granted, I fight alot differently than most players as I don't lead with light attacks except during an intercept.


    @BOFAD thanks man. I always start swiping as soon as opponent start dashing. So how about you? How do you time it?

    I swipe back and swipe forward before Grimlock’s sword moves. If it’s intercept it would be light attack before the sword moves. You should catch him almost everytime. Sometimes that do pull the Bs block like they were dashing forward and never attacking which isn’t possible but whatever lol

    There are some instances too where bots can go under the attack like Tantrum. If you use OGP and that fist misses the head because it’s bent down (like it goes over top of it) it’s over. Other bots can block quicker because they have a smaller hit box as well like UM and Grindor
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
    edited October 14
    “I swipe back and swipe forward before Grimlock’s sword moves.”

    @BOFAD sorry what did u mean? U mean u swipe back to side step, then swipe forward to dash attack?

    I thought you can only side step by swiping up or down not back?

    Also swipe forward? So u start combo with medium attack? Does that make any difference? Like light attack would not work he could hit u back and medium attack is safer?

    I always swipe up or down to side step, then follow with button press to light attack

    Also how about timing? Do u try to delay side stepping to the last possible moment? Do u do what Jimmy_sab says he try to side step by swiping it slow?
  • BOFADBOFAD Posts: 461
    edited October 14
    Okay let’s try this rather then answer cause you fight differently, watch the video, figure out the timing and do your fight style? Not being a jerk but I know my way of doing things is different and That’s why I don’t comment a lot of times when I see threads like this.

    I don’t know about swiping slow my fingers move a mile a minute, but he might mean slow down like you are too amped up. Also starting with a medium attack isn’t something I recommend for players unless they learn to fight that way like I did.
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
    @JKL I watched your video a few times.

    I think maybe if someone do a trial run considering all the below points, then side step will always succeed?

    1. If you just transformed and opponent start dashing. In your video, u are still transforming and Dino dashed

    2. You are short distance from opponent. In your video the side step failed twice due to short distance

    3. Pressing hit too late

    That was just my guess based on my experience. I do not know if it is possible for a long dash (and with no transform animation involved, and pressing hit button fast) to have a failed side step

    4. I do not know if starting combo with medium or light hit make difference, but it could I think due to different hit box. Maybe medium attack is safer? I will have to experiment
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
    edited October 14
    @JIMMY_SAB after some experiment I know what you mean. Actually I do those long swipe myself. Sometimes it still fails due to reason listed above (such as short dash distance)

    I have a sole conclusion and strategy.

    When opponent dash to you, u can very obviously judge how bad of a miss that dash was based on opponent “miss” animation and “miss” distance from you the moment you side stepped. IF the miss was a huge miss, you can hit back safely. Otherwise back out of it after side stepping.

    It’s hard to describe what a bad “miss” is. But I think everyone that played this game long enough knows.
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 640
    edited October 14
    @BOFAD and thanks for video. I never know u could start 5 hit combo with medium hit. Now that’s damage improvement for my fights
  • Darm0kDarm0k Posts: 1,958
    BOFAD wrote: »
    Granted, I fight alot differently than most players as I don't lead with light attacks except during an intercept.

    Do most people start combos with a light attack? I’ve usually been doing it with with a medium attack. Well, except when stopping the AI dash in attack as you mentioned. Though, I’m not ninja enough to do that on purpose. It usually happens because I’m trying to shoot ranged.

    Oh, and yeah... I’ve watched the video. That’s what I’m doing yet I’m still the one that gets hit. I call shenanigans.

    k7ctyanowlqq.jpeg
  • BOFADBOFAD Posts: 461
    Darm0k wrote: »
    BOFAD wrote: »
    Granted, I fight alot differently than most players as I don't lead with light attacks except during an intercept.

    Do most people start combos with a light attack? I’ve usually been doing it with with a medium attack. Well, except when stopping the AI dash in attack as you mentioned. Though, I’m not ninja enough to do that on purpose. It usually happens because I’m trying to shoot ranged.

    Oh, and yeah... I’ve watched the video. That’s what I’m doing yet I’m still the one that gets hit. I call shenanigans.

    pfnucz93w7c3.png

    You need to learn how to wall dodge
Sign In or Register to comment.