Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Does Synergy Actually Matter?

Hi,

Many a time, when I come across constructing my team, the term synergy keeps coming up. I prefer to use the best bots of each class that I have. The problem is few of the synergies do not match, incoming or outgoing.

My question is, does the synergy of a team actually matter, when you use the best bots of each class in a team?

Comments

• KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    Some of them are crucial. Many not.
  • JIMMY_SABJIMMY_SAB Posts: 1,008
    Try out these and then see how you feel:

- Barricade + Grindor (12 sec Power Lock)
    - OG Prime + Rat
    - Shocky + Blaster (my personal favorite)
    - OG Megs + Shocky + Starscream

There are many more that are useful and in some cases can be game changers. I chose the ones above because they are very apparent in the fight right away.
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    the new abilities gained from synergy matters a lot more than most stat boost synergy. The stat boost is a bonus, the abilities are style and strategy changing
  • BlackRazakBlackRazak Posts: 2,812
    @JIMMY_SAB and @DaveJL are on the money.
    Some synergies are awesome right out the box.

See: BW Team,
    or
    MV Megs-Grindor-Barricade
    alt.
    Ramjet-Motormaster-Kickback
    'Shieldmasters'
    'Sword-guys'
    'Plane-Janes'
  • Synergies aren’t necessary, but they make your bots stronger
  • It can be fun rolling through lower spotlights with a team of sharks. Especially if you have S-1000.
  • SlayerSlayer Posts: 1,085
    Vinod_7991 wrote: »
    Hi,

My question is, does the synergy of a team actually matter, when you use the best bots of each class in a team?

Nah.
  • BaRdYaAmNBaRdYaAmN Posts: 1,506
    Hi,

Many a time, when I come across constructing my team, the term synergy keeps coming up. I prefer to use the best bots of each class that I have. The problem is few of the synergies do not match, incoming or outgoing.

o0dmieda8emk.jpeg
    edited December 2019
    Slayer wrote: »
    Hi,

Nah.

Nah to your nah.
  • Now, let me give you examples of two teams,

Team 1(The Best Bots IMO) : MV1 Prime, Megatronus/Ironhide, Prowl, G1 Prime/Megatron, Scorponok, Shockwave

Team 2: ROTF Megatron, Barricade, Starscream, Grindor, Bonecrusher, Jetfire (The Decepticon) or OG Prime, Ratchet, Jazz, Ironhide, Prowl.

Which one would you prefer?
    I better understand your original question now @Vinod_7991 — keep in mind that I’m looking at it through 2 perspectives.

1. Do synergies matter? Yes is my answer.

2. Do synergies take precedent over forming the best 5 bots? No, for a few reasons. Biggest one is that finding 5 bots that all connect via synergy is rare. I believe only three possible combinations exist (all sharks, OG Megs and all his synergies, and a Beast Wars team). Also, it’s always best to have bots that suit your style. For me, I need Power Control to be at my best as an example.

To address your comments about “best team” with the bots you listed (assuming they are equally ranked or at least close), I would use the following for high level solo stuff (Master, RoK, & RotK):

Shocky, Jetfire, Prowl, Tronus, & MV1

For a 3 bot team I would use Shocky, JF, & Prowl. I chose them cuz I feel like I would be ok with any AM lane with all that Power Control.

And what do you mean by Jetfire (Decepticon)? There is only one Jetfire (JF) in this game.

• JIMMY_SAB wrote: »
    I better understand your original question now @Vinod_7991 — keep in mind that I’m looking at it through 2 perspectives.

1. Do synergies matter? Yes is my answer.

2. Do synergies take precedent over forming the best 5 bots? No, for a few reasons. Biggest one is that finding 5 bots that all connect via synergy is rare. I believe only three possible combinations exist (all sharks, OG Megs and all his synergies, and a Beast Wars team). Also, it’s always best to have bots that suit your style. For me, I need Power Control to be at my best as an example.

To address your comments about “best team” with the bots you listed (assuming they are equally ranked or at least close), I would use the following for high level solo stuff (Master, RoK, & RotK):

Shocky, Jetfire, Prowl, Tronus, & MV1

For a 3 bot team I would use Shocky, JF, & Prowl. I chose them cuz I feel like I would be ok with any AM lane with all that Power Control.

And what do you mean by Jetfire (Decepticon)? There is only one Jetfire (JF) in this game.

I meant ‘The Decepticon Team’, my bad for the typo. I get what you’re trying to say. My Team has got 3 starters of the 6 - Megatronus, MV Prime, Prowl. Need to get Shocky. Scorponok is too good a bot not be in anyone’s team. So, I got 4 permanent slots taken - Megatronus, MV Prime, Prowl, Scorponok. That’s a solid 4, and Scorponok doesn’t even need synergy to be an amazing bot. With Shockwave of my Tech Radar, it’s only down to the Tactician Set, which I think OG Prime/Megatron can fit right in.

Need your opinion on the blueprint of my team,

Megatronus/Ironhide - MV Prime - Scorponok - Prowl - OG Prime/Megatron - Shockwave.

Thanks for the inputs guys! :smile:
  • Faithz17Faithz17 Posts: 842
    Personally I think it’s more enjoyable to fight with bots you are comfortable instead of forcing yourself to choose based on synergies. When I was building my 4* team, I had the following maxed out:

Demo - ironhide
    Brawler - MV
    Warrior - Bludgeon
    Scout - windblade
    Tech - mirage
    Tact - OG OP

I liked playing with all of them except OG OP. I’d bring any combination of the above into AM depending on what lane or what my team mates brought. They didn’t really have much synergy but I enjoyed using them. I would say each bot killed its fair share, with ironhide being my favourite.

When 5* came along, I kept getting wasp, primal, cheetor. So I just rolled with it. I had to really learn how to make use of cheetor, cos his heavy brings him close to the enemy and I’m usually a range player. I just use the 3 of them, regardless what path I have. The good thing is the purify synergy which is really useful. So the team is built around wasp, and I like primal, but cheetor is a sidekick that sometimes isn’t very useful. I do hate using dinobot though, and will never use him regardless of his synergies.

if you bring bots you like, you can kill evenly with every bot. If you build a team based on synergy, it may be to fortify one bot and the rest become sidekicks; like OG OP and Rat.
  • TechnobotTechnobot Posts: 661
    edited December 2019
    There are so many answers to this question on whether Synergies matter. I have my favorite Synergies, some of which have been already mentioned. Here are some of my favorites.

(1) BW Team led by Primal. All R2 5* at present. Good for Hard ( & part of Expert) Spotlight Missions. Beast Purification is awesome, especially with an unlocked Primal.
    (2) Sharkticon team, led by S-1000. All R3 4* at present. Good for Easy & Medium Spotlight Missions. S-1000’s permanent healing to all Sharkticons is incredible.
    (3) OGP-IH-Ratchet Trio. A lifesaver in most AMs. Ratchet gives extra healing to IH at the start of a fight & to OGP during one. Plus increased armor.
    (4) Barricade-Grindor-ROTF Megs Trio. Barry & Grindor Power Lock is awesome. Add in Megs & he starts a fight unstoppable.

I am always learning, so some of the suggestions above are synergies I want to try.
    Building on the last two comments, there is another consideration to make which may evolve into an actual goal. Take these examples from @Technobot ‘s list above:

- Beast Purification for Primal
    - RotF Megatron’s Unstoppable to begin the fight

While both have their uses and may suit you, neither of them are ideal for the highest levels of this game — AM specifically where you can’t afford to take ANY damage at all. So being Unstoppable serves no purpose because you aren’t going to charge in and take a Heavy to the kneecap or face.

I don’t mean to get on the proverbial high horse here but becoming a “ninja” as they say and adopting the “don’t get hit” mentality you often hear from top players is truly the endgame. I recommend buying into that concept sooner than later even if you aren’t doing D100-140 in AM yet. You’ll see then that @Faithz17 ‘s comments about choosing bots that are most comfortable for you makes even more sense.