Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!
Options

What are your earliest memories of Transformers?

My earliest is the Marvel Comic, so I got in at the very beginning. The first issue came out at the end of May and the cover date's September, so my parents or grandparents very likely bought it for me sometime in the summer of '84, which would've put me at either six or seven years old. I quit reading around issue 40, not too long after the Headmasters mini-series (by that time I'd long-since "graduated" to the X-Men, the New Mutants, X-Factor, the various Spider-Man titles, the Hulk, the FF, and Savage Sword of Conan).

The toys followed soon after I started the comics, followed by the cartoon and the Find Your Fate books. Some of my earliest memories are playing with the '84 and '85 toys and reading the Marvel series with my dad. I'm lucky that none of my toys or comics were ever tossed out (my G1 toys are in rough shape, but they're almost all complete and unbroken, sans a lot of stickers).

In college, I fell back in love with Transformers due to Beast Wars toys, and I've been casually collecting the toys ever since (I've probably bought on average half a dozen Transformers toys every year for the past 20 years).

So -- when did you get started? What are your earliest memories of Transformers? =)

Comments

• Options
    PhatBoy123PhatBoy123 Posts: 1,015
    Mine is watching energon when I was 5 or 6 years old. I hate that memory.
  • Options
    Older brothers had the g1 movie and a few episodes in video when I was young, but earliest personal memory was getting a dinbot toy at 5 years old. Think it’s still around somewhere now I think about it
  • Options
    KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    The Transformers The Movie (1986)
    Remember I got it some time in 2005/6 and I found the beginning scene with unicron to be terrifying!

I knew the name Unicron before I knew what a unicorn was, so whenever people talked about unicorns being cute I thought they were bloody insane, because I would think of a planet devouring monster.

Recently got back into transformers around April 2017, but what I always remembered in the time when I wasn’t into transformers was the whiteish gray dude (megatron) falling from a building, the scary voice man (soundwave) and the death of poor Optimus Prime
  • Options
    ScarredArachnid333ScarredArachnid333 Posts: 1,856
    edited October 2018
    I remember Jazz getting ripped in two!
  • Options
    BlackRazakBlackRazak Posts: 2,812
    Jmd wrote: »
    My earliest is the Marvel Comic, so I got in at the very beginning. The first issue came out at the end of May and the cover date's September, so my parents or grandparents very likely bought it for me sometime in the summer of '84, which would've put me at either six or seven years old. I quit reading around issue 40, not too long after the Headmasters mini-series (by that time I'd long-since "graduated" to the X-Men, the New Mutants, X-Factor, the various Spider-Man titles, the Hulk, the FF, and Savage Sword of Conan).

The toys followed soon after I started the comics, followed by the cartoon and the Find Your Fate books. Some of my earliest memories are playing with the '84 and '85 toys and reading the Marvel series with my dad. I'm lucky that none of my toys or comics were ever tossed out (my G1 toys are in rough shape, but they're almost all complete and unbroken, sans a lot of stickers).

In college, I fell back in love with Transformers due to Beast Wars toys, and I've been casually collecting the toys ever since (I've probably bought on average half a dozen Transformers toys every year for the past 20 years).

So -- when did you get started? What are your earliest memories of Transformers? =)

Loving seeing OG transformers fans. Mine was a toss up between getting a Japan Reflector set, then swearing they were GoBots knockoffs.
    The very next year, with a Takara P38 and F15 cradled underarm, i saw transformers for the first time.
    And was inconsolable that all my toys were baddies.
    My Dad brought transformers to my life, bless him.
    The same dude who finds Bayformers utter piles of crap.

Ps- i carried tech specs and the inbox brochure to school from ages 4-11.

Now that's dedication.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I love these kinds of treads, @Jmd .
    But like my PREVIOUS attempt to connect to TF Fans, i worry it'll just get removed despite no terms being violated.
    I wonder if they even care what FANS like.
    Personally, it's a great opportunity for the admin to pillage ideas from, to keep the game interesting.
  • Options
    Red_EyesRed_Eyes Posts: 994
    Watching the G1 cartoons after school!
  • Options
    SkBirdmanSkBirdman Posts: 391
    Reruns of G1 when I was a wee tyke on the morning cartoon shows before school.
  • Options
    TechnobotTechnobot Posts: 661
    edited October 2018
    I was almost 11 when the show debuted in September, 1984. It was part of a Cartoon afternoon Power hour with G.I. Joe. The first episode I saw was Part 2 of “More than Meets the Eye” when Optimus & Megatron battled atop Hoover Dam with their Energon Axe & Energon Mace. My first Transformer was a yellow Cliffjumper. The next two I got were Jetfire & Shockwave for Christmas that year.
  • Options
    VanjieVanjie Posts: 82
    The awful horrendous legends Megatron figure from the first movie was my first ever TF figure. I don’t know how plastic and such materials work but i picked him up a few months ago after he’d been lying in a box for so many years and his arm snapped in 2 as if it was a piece of food, he basically just turned to dust. Mr. Megatronus, I don't feel so good...
    ekssjmcbt0tj.jpeg
    (Also i love how he transforms, spreading a bots legs apart and putting their arms above their head is always the best transformation)
  • Options
    Vanjie wrote: »
    The awful horrendous legends Megatron figure from the first movie was my first ever TF figure. I don’t know how plastic and such materials work but i picked him up a few months ago after he’d been lying in a box for so many years and his arm snapped in 2 as if it was a piece of food, he basically just turned to dust. Mr. Megatronus, I don't feel so good...
    ekssjmcbt0tj.jpeg
    (Also i love how he transforms, spreading a bots legs apart and putting their arms above their head is always the best transformation)

Cosmic rust affects the best of them. Almost as legendary a killer as Gold Plastic Syndrome.
    Sigh.
  • Options
    VanjieVanjie Posts: 82
    BlackRazak wrote: »
    ekssjmcbt0tj.jpeg

Cosmic rust affects the best of them. Almost as legendary a killer as Gold Plastic Syndrome.
    Sigh.

Haha yeah that is the first thing i thought though i’ve never really payed any attention to what it is. At least it didn’t happen to my Ironhide though, if it did i probably would’ve had PTSD to Dark of the Moon.
  • Options
    BlackRazak wrote: »
    ekssjmcbt0tj.jpeg

Sigh.

Haha yeah that is the first thing i thought though i’ve never really payed any attention to what it is. At least it didn’t happen to my Ironhide though, if it did i probably would’ve had PTSD to Dark of the Moon.

It's ok.
    AliExpress is your friend for CHEAP, QUALITY KOs of bots from MV1-4.
    You could get them ALL for around $60!
  • Options
    AnnatarAnnatar Posts: 101
    It was year 1993, our TV in Russia first broadcasted SuperGod Masterforce and it was HUGE! We literally gone crazy for Transformers . After that was Victory, later G1 and Headmasters. And there was no Movie on Tv, so we had no idea, why suddenly main location become Cybertron instead of Earth and what the flying giant head on its orbit. We, kids 10-12 years was totally obsessed with them. I still have couple toys from that time. (Of course, 99% of toys thise days was Chinese illegal knockoffs). One our channel broadcast these four series on circle without a daybrake for several years! (Also Voltrons). Hell, russian translations of the names become a meme ) But, ecxept awful names translations, quality of voices was very good

Later was Beast Wars in 1999, only first season (and you know how it ends), but on other channel and they mess up with translation badly, almost broke all connection that it was actually Transformes. (Like, Optimus Primal was named King Kong, and Cybertron - Cyberon, lol)
    And after that was Internet and all other series and FINALLY, the original voiceovers.
    Later, not long before first Bay-Movie, there was a new wave of popularity, and first movie burst it up.
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 629
    When I was 6 or so beast wars was brand new. I had tarantulas. His purple ass and all.
  • Options
    Jazz444Jazz444 Posts: 2,021
    When I was almost 7 I watched G1 and Animated series on the Cartoon Network lol
  • Options
    Jazz444Jazz444 Posts: 2,021
    My favorite series now and always is (G1 Transformers More Than Meets The Eye )
    I’m so glad to see all you G1 fans 😀
  • Options
    Transformator79Transformator79 Posts: 216
    edited October 2018
    I am proud to say that it was Transformers : Prime which introduced me to the world of Transformers in 2011. I was just 7 years old that time. But the things that made sure I stayed with Transformers were the toys. I now have some 100+ toys ranging from different classes (scout to leader) and different continuities (Prime, G1, RiD, etc.)
    I love G1 and the new series too. However, the Unicron trilogy and the bay verse films didn't catch my attention.
  • Options
    Buttehrs wrote: »
    When I was 6 or so beast wars was brand new. I had tarantulas. His purple ass and all.

With Wazzzpinator in the mix (Primal, too), an edgy, dumb cool kid reboot of Beast Wars would be retitled
    BEAST WARS: DAT ASS*

@ScarredArachnid333 , this is why we can't have nice things

*Look what they've done to Thundercats and She-Ra
  • Options
    Now my earliest memory of F2F is swearing at my 'flagship' Moto Z for the constant crashes.
    And throwing a tantrum (not that one) for opening 10 PBC and getting an army of 2* rockstars.
  • Options
    Sorry to hijack the post, @Jmd ,
    But Robert Walsh has passed away.
    He of G1 music.
    Here's a gift.

http://www.thetfcog.com/transformers
  • Options
    Sycko5Sycko5 Posts: 206
    I remember when my dad first showed me the g1 series. I was like “why are they so blocky?”. A few months later I was binge watching the series on Netflix before it was sadly removed :(
  • Options
    DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    My first memory of Transformers was ironically Go-Bots. Go-Bots came first and the kids at school had them. I bought Transformers and they wouldn't let me okay with them because what I had was different, but I stayed loyal and would have none of the GoBot garbage.
    I cannot remember my first Transformer. I wanna say it was Bumblebee, but a red one because at the time yellow ones were rare.
    Bluestreak came soon after and I loved him. Actually I have a big Bluestreak tattoo on my left leg.
    I lost Interest when Optimus because a gorilla.
  • Options
    DrShotgun wrote: »

Trukk not monkkey
  • Options
    ScarredArachnid333ScarredArachnid333 Posts: 1,856
    edited October 2018

Trukk not monkkey

gfdnuteuvp04.gif

Imma angry boi now.
    Even though Optimus Prime is superior to Optimus Primal.
  • Options

Trukk not monkkey

See what they did?
    They turned monkey to flying space truck in BM!
    With guns!
  • Options
    Watching G1 on the Hub Channel! Lol!
    Soon after started collecting the toys, and then bought the dvd set of G1!
    I’ve been into Transformers ever since! Lol!
    And after all these years finally got the beast wars series and suddenly realize why people love it so much! :D
    These two are definitely my most favorite series!!
  • Options
    DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    I remember seeing the first showing on the first day of the Transformer movie. My mom let me and my friend skip school that day to see it. Our first movie without parents...we thought we were hot S**t that day.
    Kinda still feel that way today :smile:
  • Options
    I remember seeing the first showing on the first day of the Transformer movie. My mom let me and my friend skip school that day to see it. Our first movie without parents...we thought we were hot S**t that day.
    Kinda still feel that way today :smile:

Your mom is kewl, mate.
    I would've gotten red ears if asking something similar.
    That woman was the bane of my transformers collection!
    I'll say it, i love Dad more!