Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Crystal Drop Rates (Information for new players)

O.K with the 6 PBC from the new mission I now have opened 35 PBC crystals without a 3* bot and only 2*s. So you might think this is a rant post. Nope, this is a warning for new players:

Drop rates are bad in this game. Like really bad. If I would have bought those crystals with money (I didn't, and I won't) I would have spent 100$ for 2* bots.

Think about that before you waste your energon on those crystals. Just don't, take the free PBC that you get and leave it that way.

tl;dr: Don't buy PBCs, they are a waste of money. Nothing premium about them apart from dissapointment.

Comments

• PeyotePeyote Posts: 163
    You can't judge drop rates by opening just a few crystals. You can only open one crystal and get a 4* or spend 500$ and only get a few 3*, that's what random means.

Yes, the drop rates for rarer bots are low, but any game with rarer items is the same. I could name Diablo or Magic the Gathering where it's hard to find the best cards or gear.

I opened hundreds of Premium crystals and got a 4* and dozens of3*, so don't take your experience like it is the same for everyone (I have see day 1 players getting a 4* in their first PC).
  • DirculesDircules Posts: 509
    Peyote wrote: »
    You can't judge drop rates by opening just a few crystals. You can only open one crystal and get a 4* or spend 500$ and only get a few 3*, that's what random means.

Yes, the drop rates for rarer bots are low, but any game with rarer items is the same. I could name Diablo or Magic the Gathering where it's hard to find the best cards or gear.

I opened hundreds of Premium crystals and got a 4* and dozens of3*, so don't take your experience like it is the same for everyone (I have see day 1 players getting a 4* in their first PC).

With the difference that Diablo requires only time to be put in, and doesn't sell items or mystery loot boxes for real money. And with M:TG you can go to a shop and buy specifically the (rare) cards you want without purchasing booster packs.

I was one who got a 4* with one of my first PBCs. Don't remember if it was the first or second, but definitely before I started spending money. In a way it pulled me over the line to start spending because it made it tangible that getting 4*s was a real possibility :)

Over time I've openened many many crystals, and have gotten 4*s out of them, but in general count on getting a 2* out of a PBC (or feature crystal). If you want a 3* or 4*, either grind it out in Arena or gather up crystal shards of the appropriate type. Doing lot of arena gets you a 4* per week (2x 1000 shards if you finish 1-2%). Not bad if you can invest that kind of time. And if you can't, well, then adjust your expectations. You can't get to the top without either spending a lot of money or a lot of time, preferably both for best success.

Good luck to all new players, but beware, this game is a huge time-sink! (And I'm enjoying it very much).

• TerminalTerminal Posts: 789
    Peyote wrote: »

Right, you can't judge rates by opening a few, but you can judge by opening hundreds or adding together the results of many.

Your results line up with everything else.. it's about 0.05% to 1% for a 4* and 5-10% for a 3*.
  • ZapperZapper Posts: 186
    Not quite true. I can extrapolate the odds from my small sample as good as from a big one. Doesn't matter how you put it: The odds are bad, like really bad.

New players have to know about this, and best would be if most people refrain from buying them. That's the only way Kabam might be forced to change something.
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    Zapper wrote: »
    Not quite true. I can extrapolate the odds from my small sample as good as from a big one. Doesn't matter how you put it: The odds are bad, like really bad.

Just be cautious, an overly small sample size can skew results. Flip ten coins and seven might come up heads, but it will approach 50% as your sample size grows. And the odds may not be great, but I've managed to dupe almost my entire 3* story and AM teams by a combination of PBCs, Arena 3* shards, and even got a 3* Bludgeon and G1 Optimus out of daily crystals.
    Granted, my experience may or may not be average, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. All "limited" bots will be added to the regular crystal rotation eventually, and the daily calendar helps as well.
    You misunderstand, it's not about my roster of 3* bots. I have more then enough, since I'm in a top 25 alliance. My bottleneck is ore and gold, I have 3 bots that should go to 4/40 and another three that I didn't even touch yet and are still on 1/1.

Since the change I even get alphas now faster then I can level up bots, to soon I can start with leveling 4* bots. (but I'll wait until I have a full team of 4/40 3*)

This is a sincere warning for new players to not invest money into PBCs (unless they need 2* bots, so maybe in the first two weeks of playing).

Currently the valid way of getting 3* bots are:
    - Completing main story and story events
    - Be in an alliance that finishes alliance events (aka a really active alliance)
    - Play a lot of arena (actually getting at least in the ranked rewards every time sums up nicely).

All those ways are valid and acutally I think the amount of bots you can get for free is fine. Just don't buy PBCs, since they are a waste of money.
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    Ah okay I see what you mean now, yeah I only spent money for Soundwave and I guess technically Hot Rod since I bought that crazy discounted energon card.
  • mdmx88mdmx88 Posts: 4
    ive only got one 3* bot in a pbc since the start of the game and it was drift just this week otherwise I always get 2* duplicates of maxed ranked bots
    CandKane wrote: »
    Ah okay I see what you mean now, yeah I only spent money for Soundwave and I guess technically Hot Rod since I bought that crazy discounted energon card.

Quite interesting sidenote: While I have been really unlucky with PBCs, I have been really lucky when I bought those 10 packs.

I got 2-3 3*s every time, and with the offer yesterday Optimus (classic), Drift and a 4* Windblade. Judging from my alliance I would guess that the droprates for featured crystals are better. Most people get 2-3 3* out of 10 crystals, getting nothing is rare (it happens though, so beware).