Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

The curios case of Rhinox

So I'm not a fan of Beast Wars and I've made the point quite public, but Rhinox was my very 1st 3*, as well as my introduction TO Beast Wars. Took my weeks to figure out he wasn't a bad guy (red eyes ya know), so I don't mind using him...
But he's bugged, rather has a glaring issue that needs to be remedied. I started using him again due to the reliable power lock and I'll be damned that the AI takes advantage of the heavy bug. No other bot I can think of can be hit like he can by a missed heavy, and that's an issue.
@Kabam Vydious
@Kabam Miike
Do you know what I'm talking about? It's a well known issue from what I understand, where the AI can dodge his heavy and step RIGHT in and catch him as he lands with a combo?
Is there another bot that suffers from this?

Comments

• 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 641
    edited July 2019
    His heavy miss is so bad, I basically never use his heavy in AM unless opponent bot are a million miles away from the wall
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    Been seeing this issue brought up again and again, yet I don't think it had succeeded in getting a 'passed it to the team' level of attention, IIRC.
    Why?
  • Bntyhntr3232_Bntyhntr3232_ Posts: 3,088
    Rhinox doesn't have a curios case...but specter knight does!
    Been seeing this issue brought up again and again, yet I don't think it had succeeded in getting a 'passed it to the team' level of attention, IIRC.
    Why?

Cuz nobody cares, if you browse through top 10 alliance, count fingers how many use him
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    小龙女 wrote: »
    Why?

Cuz nobody cares, if you browse through top 10 alliance, count fingers how many use him

You've inversed cause and consequence I'm afraid.

BTW how can we browse thru top 10 alliances and find their roster?
    Why?

You've inversed cause and consequence I'm afraid.

BTW how can we browse thru top 10 alliances and find their roster?

Only when the AM ends
  • SlayerSlayer Posts: 1,085
    Yeah this bug with his heavy is a nuisance and then the AI rubs it in your face with a freaking 5 hit combo 😒😒
  • Hey DrShotgun,

Any chance we can get a video of this?
  • RocsolidRocsolid Posts: 302
    Why?

Quite a few actually.
    Hey DrShotgun,

https://youtu.be/qDK8mUNeYgk
    The issue is with the length of his heavy. However, with every bot I can think of I have timed a mele hit and gotten it to land. This is against every mele heavy bot.
    You cant expect to play higher levels and be able to evade everything and also think every time you get hit it's a bug. The higher pi the bot the higher chance they will counter with a well timed hit. This is where 'skill' is required. Each bot has their own ai, this is why kb charges and tact mega launches heavy when he has his heavy buff.
    With that said, it takes practice. Same practice as learning to dodge an sp2 or an attack while backed up in you corner.
    edited July 2019
    Rocsolid wrote: »
    Why?

Quite a few actually.

One of them is me, and then manthro and some peoplr have it rank 5 but never use in AM,

Btw, his power lock and shield is insanely good in raid vs tronus. Tronus ult barely do any damage if u have a few shields up. That’s all he is useful for

But in AM he is completely trash. His shield depend on opponent bot rating, against 4-6 times your rating, his shield does nothing. Maybe if you use roll out u will be able to back out 90% of time, if you use his heavy it will miss 3+ times and sometimes u can’t back out if opponent even slightly touches the wall.

He is pillow fisted and his special 1 does barely any damage. Special 2 often gives u like 2 stacks of bleed depending on luck (barely any damage)
    Why?

Quite a few actually.

One of them is me, and then manthro and some peoplr have it rank 5 but never use in AM,

What ally u in bro?
    edited July 2019
    Why?

Quite a few actually.

What ally u in bro?

Hey man, i am not trying to make myself like expert. I am still bad at this game. But I play prowl, and my prowl regularly does 4-10 times more damage than my rhinox in bg. Maybe I suck at rhinox but he is truely bad in AM in my opinion and based on my experience.

I mean if you are god at this game, u can beat D140 with rank 3 rhinox, but...

He will be out of my roster soon
    edited July 2019
    The issue is with the length of his heavy. However, with every bot I can think of I have timed a mele hit and gotten it to land. This is against every mele heavy bot.
    You cant expect to play higher levels and be able to evade everything and also think every time you get hit it's a bug. The higher pi the bot the higher chance they will counter with a well timed hit. This is where 'skill' is required. Each bot has their own ai, this is why kb charges and tact mega launches heavy when he has his heavy buff.
    With that said, it takes practice. Same practice as learning to dodge an sp2 or an attack while backed up in you corner.

Yes I agree, it is not a bug with his heavy, it is just short recoil distance and length of heavy that makes him miss so often to the point of not useful and should not be used in many circumstances. Plus the lacklustre of his other abilities makes him bad in AM compared to many other alternatives
  • 小龙女 wrote: »
    Hey DrShotgun,

Thank you for this!

I'll get this written up and looked into ASAP.
    edited July 2019
    There are actually 2 cases
    1. Opponent slightly touching the wall when backing out. Like the video shows. This case can happen with roll out bot. And sometimes with roll out bot it is also not dodge-able

2. Opponent is tightly against the wall, this case when rinox heavy misses opponent will immediately stand up and start punching u. This never happens to roll out bots....as far as my experience with op and prowl goes

3. When you are against the wall or close to wall, since opponent is close, he has shorter distance to dash, so you might also get hit for a miss in this case ( I am not so sure if this is the case and if this happens to roll out bots)

So basically the only viable circumstance to use rihnox heavy is when both bots are right in middle of battlefield
    Why?

Quite a few actually.

What ally u in bro?

Hey man, i am not trying to make myself like expert. I am still bad at this game. But I play prowl, and my prowl regularly does 4-10 times more damage than my rhinox in bg. Maybe I suck at rhinox but he is truely bad in AM in my opinion and based on my experience.

Most of bw are underpowered. He should be with wasp or scorp to get more damage out of him. Imo.
    Prowls damage is maybe 10% more. Not 4-10x. Nox is a shot bot, whereas prowl is more mele with sprinkled shots.
    Why?

Quite a few actually.

What ally u in bro?

Most of bw are underpowered. He should be with wasp or scorp to get more damage out of him. Imo.
    Prowls damage is maybe 10% more. Not 4-10x. Nox is a shot bot, whereas prowl is more mele with sprinkled shots.

I can get opponent pinnned to the wall and keep beating him. Even if he evaded or dodge I can still back out safely. Nox u can’t use heavy, a few punches and there you go, back to square one, need to fine an opening again. All other damage is lacklustre, prowl 10 melee stacks is no joke. His special 2 melts everything
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited July 2019
    Why?

Quite a few actually.

Btw, his power lock and shield is insanely good in raid vs tronus. Tronus ult barely do any damage if u have a few shields up. That’s all he is useful for

But in AM he is completely trash. His shield depend on opponent bot rating, against 4-6 times your rating, his shield does nothing. Maybe if you use roll out u will be able to back out 90% of time, if you use his heavy it will miss 3+ times and sometimes u can’t back out if opponent even slightly touches the wall.

He is pillow fisted and his special 1 does barely any damage. Special 2 often gives u like 2 stacks of bleed depending on luck (barely any damage)

Every bot with a melee heavy has an opening the AI can exploit. Rhinox is slightly exaggerated, where your window to avoid the counter is much, much smaller.

Having said that, I use my rhinox in AM all the time and have adapted my timing, I don't have any issues spamming his heavy and avoiding counters. When I do, it was legit bad judgement on using a heavy attack.

You have to know when to backstep or sidestep out of it, and that comes with experience.

He is not pillow fisted at all. Read his skills and synergies to understand how to unlock his melee potential.

You need to have a bleed on your opponent to see the melee damage he is capable of.

S1 damage comes from nullifying an attack buff and getting the very long bleed out of it, where you can then exploit his melee/Crit buff for much longer.

Rhinox is a bot that requires a little more effort in order to play to his strengths.

There are simpler and more straightforward techs out there which have similar skills, that's for sure.

I agree, his S2 doesn't seem to land very many bleeds at high level AM, but I guess that's what happens against bots 5-6x your pi. Higher defense rating probably mutes the trigger rate on his special.
  • SlayerSlayer Posts: 1,085
    edited July 2019
    His Sp2 and Sp3 does great damage if you have deep wounds mastery at max @Manthro

I usually get around 10 bleeds during his sp3 and around 7-8 during sp2 , now if the opponent is bleeding already and then you launch a special , he does even more damage.
    @Manthro thanks for input, guess I am just bad at him.
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited July 2019
    @Manthro thanks for input, guess I am just bad at him.

Not necessarily.

Look, the main thing is to have fun with a bot that suits your playstyle. Sure, there are certain situations where you need to select a different one to overcome a brutal spotlight lane, but forcing yourself to use a bot that isn't fun for you just ruins the experience.

I dislike Soundwave immensely, but many players LOVE him.

Some bots just aren't a good fit for some players. Wasp has sluggish movements, for example... When using him, you almost have to delay the backstep or sidestep to avoid getting hit, similar to how you avoid hits from Grimlock or Motormaster.

Rhinox has quirks, his heavy attack recoil is one of them... Maybe it's unintended and does actually need to be fixed, or maybe it is by design, who knows?

All I know is he is a good bot for my style and I practiced with him so I could fight with him effectively and reliably in AM.

He is used by quite a few players in elite alliances.
  • PiconiaPiconia Posts: 106
    edited July 2019
    Why?

5z8wkgqqi9fe.png

I care :D
    My horned monkey needs some love!
    As a side input here it feels Dinobot's heavy is somewhat the same regarding the short distance use.

I use both Rhinox and Dinobot on a regular basis in AM paired with Primal, and it renders the cleanse to the point where i have to back all the way to the left, shoot 1-2 ranged and then hit the heavy, otherwise i'm guaranteed to eat free ranged damage or get tagged like in the video above.
  • Gunz0Gunz0 Posts: 2,949
    Piconia wrote: »
    As a side input here it feels Dinobot's heavy is somewhat the same regarding the short distance use.

I use both Rhinox and Dinobot on a regular basis in AM paired with Primal, and it renders the cleanse to the point where i have to back all the way to the left, shoot 1-2 ranged and then hit the heavy, otherwise i'm guaranteed to eat free ranged damage or get tagged like in the video above.

I feel the same way about Dinobot and Rhinox’s heavies. There’s just something weird about their attacks, maybe they’re slower than cars and jets?
  • 小龙女 wrote: »
    There are actually 2 cases
    1. Opponent slightly touching the wall when backing out. Like the video shows. This case can happen with roll out bot. And sometimes with roll out bot it is also not dodge-able

2. Opponent is tightly against the wall, this case when rinox heavy misses opponent will immediately stand up and start punching u. This never happens to roll out bots....as far as my experience with op and prowl goes

3. When you are against the wall or close to wall, since opponent is close, he has shorter distance to dash, so you might also get hit for a miss in this case ( I am not so sure if this is the case and if this happens to roll out bots)

So basically the only viable circumstance to use rihnox heavy is when both bots are right in middle of battlefield

I'mma sound real stupid rn but what's a roll-out bot?
  • KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    If I miss a heavy with Rhinox I immediately sidestep it does the trick for me
  • KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    Piconia wrote: »
    Why?

5z8wkgqqi9fe.png

I care :D
    My horned monkey needs some love!

Perfect 8000, that's satisfying
    edited July 2019
    Hey DrShotgun,

Thank you for this!

I'll get this written up and looked into ASAP.

@Kabam Vydious

Thank you so much for adressing this. Both bots land further back making the old engage from AI impossible now. Both my furry bots apreciate this :smiley: