Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!
Options

Shieldmaster & Thundercracker blocks

Ok so well timed blocks will knock the opponent back with Cracker, duped Mixmaster or with Shieldmaster synergy for Dinobot, Jetfire and Mixmaster. The problem for me is, to what end? As far as I can tell, it gives no tactical advantage. The enemy isn't stunned for long enough to reliably do anything UNLESS you have them backed up against the wall, then you can hit them.

Has anyone experienced any other circumstances in which these blocks can be used for a guaranteed advantage? (not bothered about lucky openings, I want guaranteed)

If the mods read this, may I suggest that you suggest to the dev team that this be re-worked in a way that actually rewards a player for executing a well timed block rather than giving them a gap where there is a 50/50 chance of landing an attack or the AI sidestepping and countering or blocking? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RocsolidRocsolid Posts: 302
    Mix gets a buf and shield masters steal sp power.
  • Options
    DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    Rocsolid wrote: »

Not talking about that. I'm talking about the knockback. What's the intention of it? It doesn't provide any sort of advantage other than ending a combo, so is that intended or are there other ways to exploit the knockback and turn it in to a guaranteed counter attack?
  • Options
    KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    DaveJL wrote: »

Not talking about that. I'm talking about the knockback. What's the intention of it? It doesn't provide any sort of advantage other than ending a combo, so is that intended or are there other ways to exploit the knockback and turn it in to a guaranteed counter attack?

No. Otherwise it would be OP. As @Rocsolid said, those are already good rewards for using well timed blocking.
  • Options
    kranderskranders Posts: 479
    edited July 2019
    I don't think it's intended to work as a lead-in to a counter attack. It just prevents additional damage from blocking an entire combo.

Obviously JF stuns but if all of them could counterattack on top of what their timed block already does it's a bit op.
  • Options
    ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited July 2019

If you are quick on the draw, it knocks the enemy back far enough to fire a couple of ranged attacks. Yes, they are often blocked or sidestepped... But that doesn't mean it's not useful.

When you fire those ranged shots after the pushback, it can often bait a special out of the AI as well. If it doesn't, you'll find (with some experience), the AI reaction to be very predictable, allowing you to open up a window with a sidestep of your own into another combo.

The advantages aren't obvious until you start experimenting a bit. Try out some tactics in master spotlight, where the AI behaves similar to AM fights.

It is particularly useful (and easier) with an awakened dinobot because you can perfect block armour break on dash ins, quickly pop two shots (or dash in) with a chance to break block.
  • Options
    RocsolidRocsolid Posts: 302

I pull the block after a combo and more then half the time the opponent either attacks or launches a special and it becomes time to release the demon! Haha
    But manthro is right, if you are quick you can get a shot combo
  • Options
    YeetYeet Posts: 1
    Yeah if you use ice cream and jet fire you get a ton of stun time
  • Options
    Bntyhntr3232_Bntyhntr3232_ Posts: 3,088
    Yeet wrote: »

Ice cream?
  • Options
    DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779

Ice cream?

starscream
  • Options
    Bntyhntr3232_Bntyhntr3232_ Posts: 3,088

Ice cream?

starscream

Ohh! I didn't know he went by that name XD
  • Options
    Just considering the nature of shieldmaster (rewarding DEFENSIVE play, essentially), the ability to reset the field is nice. Most of the shieldmasters already have a bonus tied to their block, so the synergy giving you a little bit extra is enough. The knockback in general seems meant to prevent further damage and it lets you safely back up to reset. Without any knockback, you'd just sit and hold block (or risk trying to time backing out of their range) while the enemy bot tanks the shieldmaster proc damage and keeps wailing through their 5-hit combo. Also it's just funny to watch the enemy bot "hit itself" i guess. All this to say: use it to back up and reset the field (or ranged auto as some have suggested), not straight counter-attack (unless you're jetfire)