Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Power control – clear winner?

Who do you all like most for power control?

Prowl seems like he's the best to me but I could be swayed to believe Kickback, Shockwave or Rhinox might have the advantage.

Comments

• SlayerSlayer Posts: 1,085
    Kickback no doubt.
    Because not only you can inflict power debuffs but also consume the buffs on opponents and convert them into your own power.

He also consumes power debuff on him, another plus for him.
  • yeah, those consumptions do sound a little better but I wonder if Prowl's SP1 drains more power than KB, even though KB's power drain is more frequent?
  • Prowl (usually) drains about 1 bar of power regardless. It might be more than kickback.
  • Kickback easily
  • If you can hit them with 6 shocks from Shockwave then their power drains very quickly.
    I fought various Megatronus who I've prevented from ever getting a single bar of special thanks to Shockwave.
  • Shockwave his shock drains health and power,believe me I used him before as my main.
  • I'd say probably Shockwave if only because he can control power with the charges he can build. If Prowl is awakened, then I'd probably call it a draw. I would probably put Kickback a very close second to those two only because his Power Leaks are less reliable but I can totally see how he could potentially outdo Shockwave and Prowl.
  • Yeah, Shockwave is my main right now and I'm really glad I invested in him. My only concern with Shockwave is those mods that make basic ranged unblockable...I'm dreading those right now!
  • I've used them all a considerable amount, and on the basis of power control alone no bot compares to Prowl. The reason he dominates this category is you don't have to hit the opponent to build up your sp1 so if you're patient you can avoid the enemy ever getting to sp1. In a case like mirage in AM who shoots some ridiculous fast paced range after his sp1 has gone off it's a necessity to avoid that completely. Shockwave struggles to keep his power bar below sp1 the whole fight but prowl dominates.

KB is not even close to either shock or prowl, the power leak is too slow. And Nox is unreliable, he is a great bot overall but again if its just down to power control he's got nothing on shock or prowl.
  • Shockwave and Prowl are pretty much tied, IMO. Kickback 3rd.

If you use Barricade and Grindor together they work well. Barricade can power lock early and then save up for SP2 and steal their power.
  • Tech Shark at high sig has to be in any conversation about best power controllers too...
  • @Canuck33 that was my gut feeling too, thanks for weighing in
  • No prob, and @NorthernLightRC has a point, that tech shark is seriously good for power control, but as we all know the rest of him is feeble lol.
  • SkBirdmanSkBirdman Posts: 391
    edited September 2019
    What @Canuck33 says. As much as I like Shockwave you cant compete with Prowl being able to push to sp3 in a matter of seconds without landing a single hit.
  • JIMMY_SABJIMMY_SAB Posts: 1,008
    edited September 2019
    All depends on how you define “best” so I’m going to attempt to answer with Power Control categories (in no particular order).

1 - Amount of Power Drain:

Purely looking at the ceiling, the answer here is Shockwave. Whether it’s with his Basic Ranged, Heavy, SP1, or SP3, once you get above 5 charge stacks he is able to drain anywhere from 1.5 bars to a full 3 (and have it go beyond that as you deliver more hits). With the right synergy and execution, I’ve reached as many as 20 charge stacks — 3 stacks is enough to drain a single bar as a notable.

2 - Ease of Build Up/Activation to their Power Control “Move”:

This is a tie IMO between Prowl and Shocky. As mentioned above, Prowl can reach SP1 (his Power Drain move) without having to land any hits. However, Shocky can reach any of his Power Drain moves by simply blocking a basic ranged (does so without taking any health loss I might add). It boils down to fight style on this one. If you prefer to simply dance vs being comfortable blocking ranged which I acknowledge as being counterintuitive for many players.

3 - Variety of Methods available to inflict Power Drain:

Shocky here because he can do it 4 ways (Basic Ranged, Heavy, SP1, & SP3). This allows for a higher usage rate among more fighting styles.

For those that know me, you know Shocky is my boy and someone I always tout. I may be biased but also have the experience with all 3 bots mentioned so far (Kb, Prowl, & Shocky).

• JKLJKL Posts: 997
    Tech shark, high sig 👍
    SkBirdman wrote: »
    What @Canuck33 says. As much as I like Shockwave you cant compete with Prowl being able to push to sp3 in a matter of seconds without landing a single hit.

SP3? How does this tie into the Power Control though? This sounds more like Power Gain.
  • GrooGroo Posts: 163
    By himself Prowl is the best power control bot. But if you bring Blaster with Shockwave you get 3 free energy charges at the start of the fight and recurring throughout the fight, and if you bring 2 Blasters you get even more. Not viable for AM but great in Spotlight missions.
  • GrooGroo Posts: 163
    And @JIMMY_SAB prowl’s sp3 locks opponent’s power for quite some time, so definately power control ;)
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    Prowl also has to be duped for his power control to be really effective - shockwave is just good fresh out the box and deals insane damage, so Shockwave for me.
    Groo wrote: »
    And @JIMMY_SAB prowl’s sp3 locks opponent’s power for quite some time, so definately power control ;)

True but this doesn’t seem at all practical. I mean even with his passive Power Gain, when you reach SP3 the enemy will have some level of power bar built up so Power Locking at that point is still leaving yourself open to a risky situation. I guess if you “dance” the entire time it’s feasible.
  • Canuck33Canuck33 Posts: 244
    edited September 2019
    JIMMY_SAB wrote: »

SP3? How does this tie into the Power Control though? This sounds more like Power Gain.

Someone must have edited my message LOL. that's supposed to say sp1...

But yes sp3 still locks the power bar hahah
  • And in regards to shockwave, he's amazing and I would rank him up before prowl because I like his skill set better. but they are both top drawer bots, and in the right hands can dominate just about any fight.
    Canuck33 wrote: »
    JIMMY_SAB wrote: »

Someone must have edited my message LOL. that's supposed to say sp1...

But yes sp3 still locks the power bar hahah

You had it right in your comment man. I was quoting @SkBirdman — I’m genuinely curious too. He usually has some elite level tips.
  • Ah right, I just saw my name on the quote at the top and was wondering. Too much work today to keep track of it all lol.
  • So nobody has mentioned Bonecrusher? Yeah he may not win that 'clearly' but what if he wins every darn time?
  • Doesn't seem like a popular answer, and I do like Kickback A LOT, but Rhinox seems like he should be at the top for this--draining power AND locking their power in place (after the drain) makes a huge difference in a fight. He can't hurt Megatronus the way Windblade can (pretty much murdering anyone with power gain), but definitely shuts him down and keeps him from switching relics or even getting to SP3.

Prowl's power drain is cool, but I prefer building up for his SP2 and wrecking bots that way. I can play him using his SP1 to control power, but playing that way, I think Mirage is the best for that--my Mirage has 60% chance for each ranged attack to drain 7.2% power and pouring more salt on that wound, all that damage gets 100% armor penetration, so that's kinda hard to top.
    How does Rhinox drain power though? His heavy only knocks off a bit and applies the lock. Add in how often his Heavy misses and you have very little control of the fight.
  • JIMMY_SAB wrote: »
    How does Rhinox drain power though? His heavy only knocks off a bit and applies the lock. Add in how often his Heavy misses and you have very little control of the fight.

Well Rhinox does keep bots from gaining power, so he would certainly qualify as a power control bot. But he is not nearly as good as a Prowl or Shockwave.