Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Might be a revolutionary approach to animations

Have you all seen this? https://www.shadertoy.com/view/3lsSzf

It's a quite incredible approach to animations, seems revolutionary to me...who knows maybe Kabam is already watching Inigo!

Comments

• Have you all seen this? https://www.shadertoy.com/view/3lsSzf

It's a quite incredible approach to animations, seems revolutionary to me...who knows maybe Kabam is already watching Inigo!

How is this related to FTF? Kabam probably won't make special animations look like the one shown.
  • It's related in the way this guy is accomplishing the animations. He doesn't have to rig up wireframes and structures which are then animated with keyframes, he doesn't need to then to create the models and apply coordinates so textures can be added and then apply physics simulations to everything in the scene. He has found a way to apply simple, mathematical expressions that give you the position of any x,y coordinate at any time value. I don't necessarily understand everything that goes into this work but I know it eliminates a ton coupling and complexity in the code...that translates to much less RAM and computing power. Think "no more lag" :-)

I don't think it's realistic to imagine Kabam would actually rewrite the game with such an approach but I was curious whether they were keeping their eye on it or not since it's such a revolutionary approach to animations.
  • It's related in the way this guy is accomplishing the animations. He doesn't have to rig up wireframes and structures which are then animated with keyframes, he doesn't need to then to create the models and apply coordinates so textures can be added and then apply physics simulations to everything in the scene. He has found a way to apply simple, mathematical expressions that give you the position of any x,y coordinate at any time value. I don't necessarily understand everything that goes into this work but I know it eliminates a ton coupling and complexity in the code...that translates to much less RAM and computing power. Think "no more lag" :-)

I don't think it's realistic to imagine Kabam would actually rewrite the game with such an approach but I was curious whether they were keeping their eye on it or not since it's such a revolutionary approach to animations.

I wish I understood that...
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    edited September 2019
    Think "no more lag" :-)
    I was think about the same thing when I opened the page, then my browser started to lag like hell before it finally hung up.
  • CeltCelt Posts: 190
    I don't think it will ever happen at kabam or any company ( for at least a few years)
    I didn't go in depth into the video or the explanation of how he did that, but judging but what you are saying.

Doing this with those super complicated model sounds like a bigger problem
    In the video shown it's a simple mesh generated procedurally

Trying to generate procedurally something as complex as the bot we have currently in the game? Give it at least 3-4 years before we get to it, or something that's even close to it

But still, I understand your point of view, and indeed it would tremendously help in those situation ( mobile game) where every bit you can save to reduce lag is non negligable.

I wish I understood that...

Yup. My brain kinda hurts trying to make sense of that