Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

What determines who gets the first action in a battle?

I've noticed that when I begin a fight with my thumb down on the right side of the screen to trigger a heavy attack that sometimes I get the heavy in and sometimes the opponent gets the first blow and negates my heavy attack. What determines who gets the first hit?

Is it the flip of the coin that decides who gets the first attack in because I'll have my thumb on the screen before the match even begins, which means I should get the first attack but that's not always the case.

Anyone else notice this?
Tagged:

Comments

• StridurrStridurr Posts: 19
    For me it seems to be the lag hitch at the start of most matches that determines who gets hit first.

Heavies are pretty slow though, so if the AI decides to punch first, you'll probably get interrupted. If they decide to block, you'll connect if they don't evade.

I dunno what level you're playing at, but in high level AMs starting with a heavy is likely to get you locked in a combo. Not a great way to start a fight.

I usually do a basic. If it hits, I complete the combo. If not, I back off and get setup.
  • AmanoAmano Posts: 318
    Pro tip swipe back at the start of a fight. Never go in
  • TrailfireTrailfire Posts: 590
    Always back step to start the fight

The AI can do basically 1 of the following things:
    Backstep, block, light hit, charge, heavy

In 3/5 cases, you're better off having stepped back. After stepping back you can always either step back again, charge, or hit a ranged attack. Starting with a heavy sets you up to be intercepted 2/5 of the time (whenever they charge or light attack)

Backstep first is the golden rule :)
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    I'm probably not making my post clear enough; sorry about that.

I'm saying if you hold your thumb down during the load screen to trigger a heavy, you should technically always get the first hit in because as soon as the match starts, the heavy is triggered. Yet sometimes, despite doing this, the AI is faster. I just wanted to know why this was.

I know to usually backstep back and guard, lol.
  • Synthwave wrote: »
    I'm probably not making my post clear enough; sorry about that.

No it's clear but you aren't really listening to others.

Your logic around getting the first hit is flawed. What if the AI had its "thumb" down before the loading screen?
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    What I heard was the others were primarily giving advice. I was just looking for what the mechanic was behind what determines first strike. Is it randomly chosen who will get to hit first if both bots decide to open with a heavy?
  • Nope! There is no "who goes first" mechanic. It's completely on the Player and the AI to make their decisions on what move to make, and how fast they're going to react when the match starts! So, like some have mentioned, I find the most successful first move to be a back dash away from the opponent.
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    Synthwave wrote: »
    What I heard was the others were primarily giving advice. I was just looking for what the mechanic was behind what determines first strike. Is it randomly chosen who will get to hit first if both bots decide to open with a heavy?

Well, now you've changed the scope of your original question, because you got an answer you didn't want.

You original question was this:
    Synthwave wrote: »
    I've noticed that when I begin a fight with my thumb down on the right side of the screen to trigger a heavy attack that sometimes I get the heavy in and sometimes the opponent gets the first blow and negates my heavy attack. What determines who gets the first hit?

Is it the flip of the coin that decides who gets the first attack in because I'll have my thumb on the screen before the match even begins, which means I should get the first attack but that's not always the case.

Anyone else notice this?

You never described how the AI counters you, but everyone will assume that when your heavy opener doesn't work, you got hit with a quick light hit into a combo, because that's a reasonable assumption, it will **** your heavy every time.

Heavy attacks are slower. Odds are you will get intercepted by a light hit or backstep/ranged if you start with a heavy. This is what players are telling you because your logic was flawed from the start ;)

The complicated answer to your question on heavy vs heavy is probably based off the "hit box" on each bot.

The easy answer (and the one that makes the most sense) is to not open your battle with a heavy and leave yourself vulnerable to the reaction time of the AI counterattack.... which is far better than a human.
  • MaxBebopMaxBebop Posts: 481
    It's like any other fighting game, light jabs and medium hits will have priority over heavy attacks.
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    edited August 2017
    Nope! There is no "who goes first" mechanic. It's completely on the Player and the AI to make their decisions on what move to make, and how fast they're going to react when the match starts! So, like some have mentioned, I find the most successful first move to be a back dash away from the opponent.

Somehow off topic but if two melee heavies are triggered exactly the same time at the beginning of the battle, who will win? Does it depend on the aforementioned hit box mechanic (like a lot of fighting games)? Or is it based on the bot size? It happened to me twice when my WB started off her heavy first but got rammed down by Motormaster's heavy.

And no, MaxBebop, jabs don't always counter a heavy attack in other games. It's often because they have smaller execution frames.
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    In my experience AI heavies **** human heavies unless the human heavy initiates AT LEAST a half second before the AI. It cheats on animation frames throughout all game modes to basically gain zero startup on all attacks.
    That being said, back dash is definitely your best opener.
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    After all this I still want to know... What does it matter what determines who gets hit first in simultaneous actions?