Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

ENHANCEMENTS TO SOUNDWAVE & GRIMLOCK

Commanders,

Tomorrow, July 30th, we’ll be rolling out some updates to two of our Community teams favourite Bots! Miike’s favourite, the chatterbox Soundwave, and Vydious’s favourite, the venerable Grimlock!

These changes will go live around the same time as the new Spotlight Mission, but that time may vary.

Soundwave
Soundwave has one of the most unique playstyles, requiring him to land Heavy Attacks and Special Attacks to generate Power. The usefulness and damage of his SP2 meant that many players ignored his SP1 and even SP3.

These changes make his SP1 a more reliable tool to Stun the opponent and drain their Power. Meanwhile, SP3 gets a damage increase, making it more likely to finish off the opponent. It also has a higher chance to Stun.

• Increased chance for SP1 to Power Drain from 75% to 85%.
  • Increased chance for SP1 to Stun from 50% to 60%.
  • Increased Shock Damage on SP3 from 60% to 80%.
  • Increased chance for SP3 to Stun from 40% to 65%.

Grimlock
Grimlock is a strong Brawler who can stack Melee bonuses like no other, but he lacks a way to gain those bonuses outside of being hit or being affected by damaging Debuffs.

The change to SP1 will allow Grimlock to generate his own Melee Buff with only one bar of Power.

Don’t forget Grimlock refreshes his Melee Buffs when he switches to Dinobot form. In addition to being Invulnerable in Dinobot form, he is now Unstoppable. This gives him a new defensive option if used with the correct timing.

• Improved Signature curve. Goes from 8.7% to 30%.
  • 100% chance to gain a Melee Buff for 5 seconds when performing SP1.
  • Become Unstoppable (in addition to already being Invulnerable) when in dinobot form.

Comments

• O.o
  • Jazz444Jazz444 Posts: 2,021
    Nice 👍
  • KakaMaxKakaMax Posts: 44
    I was in doubt between upgrading grimlock or primal to r5...

This post solved it!

Primal is great as well, but I drive grimlock better
  • SlayerSlayer Posts: 1,085
    Nobody "boo" this guy , his first post made him a nice guy.
  • Slayer wrote: »

Ah yes, my favourite Boo name from Luigis Mansion on the Nintendo Gamecube is Kabam Boo!
  • Blaze_KagamiBlaze_Kagami Posts: 124
    Slayer wrote: »

Shouldn't you be saying this in the other thread?
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    lmao looks like they got someone new to take the flak!

Pointless update to Soundwave, still looks like he is terrible.

Grimlock seems powerful and interesting now

game is still drab
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 629
    Thanks Boo.
    Slayer wrote: »

Shouldn't you be saying this in the other thread?

This IS his first post, i know cus i checked before commenting
  • GeneralZ9GeneralZ9 Posts: 185
    The enhancements are pretty good. It would have been better if Grimlock could purify dazed and backfire like TC but still, this is great.
    GeneralZ9 wrote: »
    The enhancements are pretty good. It would have been better if Grimlock could purify dazed and backfire like TC but still, this is great.

Tc is still considered special and top tier because of abilities such as you described, so lets not make every bot a top tier by giving everyone same sort of abilities, if you get my point?
  • BonesetterHUNBonesetterHUN Posts: 367
    edited July 2020
    My little baby likes it

dge2km3ievom.jpg

Really good buff on Soundwave too.. and totally understandable

Good job 👍

Just one thing:
    Grimlock need some adjustment in the synergy section :) those armor buffs are useless (I tested it.. with full armor synergy and without it.. the damage reduction is barely noticable..) and he just have one more synergy
  • GJ‹‹\(´ω` )/››‹‹\( ´)/›› ‹‹\( ´ω`)/››
  • Gunz0Gunz0 Posts: 2,949
    Do you devs even know why Soundwave is hated?
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    Seems that Grimlock's buff is more for the AI.

For players' GL, yes you're less likely to be interrupted when you play a heavy-weaving style but that's about all of it. You don't get benefit of that Unstoppable when performing specials because your specials are always connected.

For AI's GL, he is unstoppable during sp1 and sp2. If we baited those specials, we can no longer double-tap and dash, because the two shots won't knock him back.
  • SilverZASilverZA Posts: 363
    Kabam Boo wrote: »
    Commanders,

Tomorrow, July 30th, we’ll be rolling out some updates to two of our Community teams favourite Bots! Miike’s favourite, the chatterbox Soundwave, and Vydious’s favourite, the venerable Grimlock!

These changes will go live around the same time as the new Spotlight Mission, but that time may vary.

Soundwave
    Soundwave has one of the most unique playstyles, requiring him to land Heavy Attacks and Special Attacks to generate Power. The usefulness and damage of his SP2 meant that many players ignored his SP1 and even SP3.

These changes make his SP1 a more reliable tool to Stun the opponent and drain their Power. Meanwhile, SP3 gets a damage increase, making it more likely to finish off the opponent. It also has a higher chance to Stun.

• Increased chance for SP1 to Power Drain from 75% to 85%.
    • Increased chance for SP1 to Stun from 50% to 60%.
    • Increased Shock Damage on SP3 from 60% to 80%.
    • Increased chance for SP3 to Stun from 40% to 65%.

Grimlock
    Grimlock is a strong Brawler who can stack Melee bonuses like no other, but he lacks a way to gain those bonuses outside of being hit or being affected by damaging Debuffs.

The change to SP1 will allow Grimlock to generate his own Melee Buff with only one bar of Power.

Don’t forget Grimlock refreshes his Melee Buffs when he switches to Dinobot form. In addition to being Invulnerable in Dinobot form, he is now Unstoppable. This gives him a new defensive option if used with the correct timing.

• Improved Signature curve. Goes from 8.7% to 30%.
    • 100% chance to gain a Melee Buff for 5 seconds when performing SP1.
    • Become Unstoppable (in addition to already being Invulnerable) when in dinobot form.

Yes!
    I was waiting for Grimlock to become unstoppable. Makes sense.
  • FirebotFirebot Posts: 525
    NICE!
  • Darm0kDarm0k Posts: 2,485
    SilverZA wrote: »
    Yes!
    I was waiting for Grimlock to become unstoppable. Makes sense.

Why? Are you planning on throwing out random specials where you could miss? For most people, they’ll be connecting on special attacks and Grimlock changes back to robot form by the time the AI gets back up.

As previously mentioned, this mainly benefits the AI when we dodge a Grim special attack.
  • SARGIS07SARGIS07 Posts: 41
    Now that what i call upgrade and updatesmo67kgqlxzt.png
    w3gsqeken75g.png
    5y7a3e1lz1zr.png
    3me36z0gheyy.png
    f48bbc0u7a8q.png
    Darm0k wrote: »
    As previously mentioned, this mainly benefits the AI when we dodge a Grim special attack.

Well, I guess there’s the Grimlock heavy. Haha. Forgot about that.
  • Primerprime5Primerprime5 Posts: 853

Well, I guess there’s the Grimlock heavy. Haha. Forgot about that.

Heavies can break through Blocks anyway, so there's no point in making them Unstoppable. He's invincible whilst using a Heavy, so you can't even use the excuse that he could take damage. He's also got a Ranged Heavy, so it's not like he's rushing at the enemy and can be stopped in his tracks. Besides, Ranged Heavies are significantly easier to dodge, so it's not even something that definitely deals some sort of damage; it's just another projectile to sidestep. The Unstoppable isn't bad by any means, it's just useless.

Now, giving an Unstoppable Heavy to a Bot like OG Prime would make sense, considering how much he depends on his truck mode attacks.
  • JIMMY_SABJIMMY_SAB Posts: 1,008

For players' GL, yes you're less likely to be interrupted when you play a heavy-weaving style but that's about all of it. You don't get benefit of that Unstoppable when performing specials because your specials are always connected.

For AI's GL, he is unstoppable during sp1 and sp2. If we baited those specials, we can no longer double-tap and dash, because the two shots won't knock him back.

I couldn’t agree more with this comment. The changes will not bare out in actual gameplay from the player side. I guess you could launch a heavy in the middle of an attack where you want to keep your combo meter up knowing you are about to take a hit? I dunno.

My guess is that Kabam has one vision of those changes should work and players have another. Considering there are 2 Grimlocks on the AM map, I think players will encounter some funky behavior especially at the higher D lvls.
  • TechnobotTechnobot Posts: 661
    JIMMY_SAB wrote: »

I couldn’t agree more with this comment. The changes will not bare out in actual gameplay from the player side. I guess you could launch a heavy in the middle of an attack where you want to keep your combo meter up knowing you are about to take a hit? I dunno.

My guess is that Kabam has one vision of those changes should work and players have another. Considering there are 2 Grimlocks on the AM map, I think players will encounter some funky behavior especially at the higher D lvls.

Considering that I will likely encounter either one or both of these AM Grimlocks in my BG (one has a Melee Bleed, the other has the Cycle Resist), I am intrigued (& a little terrified) by what is going to happen.
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    I'm glad my prediction failed: GL's specials won't trigger unstoppable, after the update. Happy heavy spamming folks.
  • MutantdocMutantdoc Posts: 470
    Ok I’ve tested out Grimlock. The problem is that the unstoppable on heavy is so short that it doesn’t last longer than the heavy animation. It’s useless
  • m00nshinem00nshine Posts: 189
    One more effect for Starscream to nullify?
  • MutantdocMutantdoc Posts: 470
    Cyclonus would kill him easy. But the unstoppable doesn’t benefit Grimlock at all. It’s ridiculous.
    edited July 2020
    So my take on these buffs after trying out these bots. Soundwave did power drain on S1 more often (stun too), but since the power drain is not 100%, it’s not reliable enough to depend on it in challenging battles. It should be 100% like Prowl’s S1. His S2 is still the way to go. Maybe if there was a heal with his S3 it would make it more appealing.

Grimlock’s “buffs” are just plain useless. Sure he gets unstoppable when he heavies, but it goes away before it does anything useful. Well, there was one time I was just spamming his heavy and the AI dashed in before I got it off. Grimlock got hit, but brushed it off, and shot his heavy. That’s a pretty rare case (from the user side) as most times the ranged heavy will get the AI before they hit you. One other time I heavied and the AI launched a special. Grim went unstoppable, but the cooldown from the heavy was too long and I couldn’t dodge the rest of the special attack.

The updates sound good on paper, but not really in application. If the devs played the game, maybe they’d have a better understanding on what changes to make when they choose to balance the bots in the game.
  • VanyaVanya Posts: 145
    Thank you for Grimlock! I've already played for him. But I haven't played for Soundwave yet. So I can't tell about him.
  • yorkdredyorkdred Posts: 72
    I like it. Tested with Grimlock in AM today. Saved me 2 times. When windblade countered my heavy with her sp I was able to block thanks to the unstoppable buff. Same with Bludgeon. Before I would have to take the full damage...