Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

“Parry” Move

I have been thinking about if it would be possible for Kabam to add an extra move type to the game. I find it obnoxious when the AI just barely manages to get the drop on me and performs this excruciatingly, long combo that ends up putting a real number on my health.

I had something like a “parry” in mind. This move would not only become an extremely helpful tool in tough situations, but it would fundamentally evolutionize the core combat of the game, creating another layer of depth. And yeah, I guess this would give the AI another advantage.

How would the “parry” work?

This new move is as simple as using any other of your move sets (e.g. light attacks, medium attacks heavy attack, etc). All you would need to do is pinch the screen with two fingers (index and thumb).

What can the “parry” cancel?

This move can revoke light attacks, medium attacks, and heavy attacks. The “parry” would be ineffective against ranged attacks and special attacks.

Animation

The animation would have your character push forward with both arms (a shield like the one seen when blocking from an attack, would emit when the arms are pushed forward. But instead of a neutral white, the shield’s colour would be red (for Autobots), purple (for Decepticons), green (for Maximals), and blue (for Predacons).

Anyways, just thought I would leave this here!

Comments

• Well parry on mcoc is when you block it stuns them so it should be the same perform a perfectly timed block
  • JKLJKL Posts: 997
    You lost me when you said “pinch” the screen. Seems like a very unnatural movement during fighting.
  • BumblebeeBumblebee Posts: 581
    Well parry on mcoc is when you block it stuns them so it should be the same perform a perfectly timed block

But isn’t this part of masteries? Or is it one of the basic components of the combat? I don’t remember this being there when I played the game.
    JKL wrote: »
    You lost me when you said “pinch” the screen. Seems like a very unnatural movement during fighting.

Yes, I understand where you are coming from. But I wanted the hand movement to differentiate from things like tapping/swiping the screen. That way, the parry wouldn’t be confused with other moves.

• DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    how you gonna pinch when you play holding a phone and use thumbs? Couldn't do it quick enough.

The fighting mechanics are flawed, though. You can't create openings and if you neutralise ranged attacks, forget playing activelty. Forced in to reacting and counter attacking, which relies on an aggressive AI script.
  • MutantdocMutantdoc Posts: 470
    Kabam has purposely left out the parry mechanic in Transformers. This is from its experience in MCOC where parry can be used to stun the opponent and give the player an advantage. This leads to less damage and less units spent
    DaveJL wrote: »
    how you gonna pinch when you play holding a phone and use thumbs? Couldn't do it quick enough.

The fighting mechanics are flawed, though. You can't create openings and if you neutralise ranged attacks, forget playing activelty. Forced in to reacting and counter attacking, which relies on an aggressive AI script.

It’s not exactly difficult. I normally hold my phone in a way that leaves both my index finger and thumb available. But yeah, maybe not the best method in utilizing this move.
    Mutantdoc wrote: »
    Kabam has purposely left out the parry mechanic in Transformers. This is from its experience in MCOC where parry can be used to stun the opponent and give the player an advantage. This leads to less damage and less units spent

Oh, I see. So it eliminates revenue?
  • WolfmillsWolfmills Posts: 466
    Instead if the thumb and forefinger pinch use both thumbs and slide them together towards middle of the screen but sounds liek a good idea
    Wolfmills wrote: »
    Instead if the thumb and forefinger pinch use both thumbs and slide them together towards middle of the screen but sounds liek a good idea

I think I like this better too! Thanks for your input :)

• KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    What do you mean by "revoke" L/M/H attacks? Push the enemy back and receive no damage? Then it could replace block and sidestep/backstep altogether. Whenever you see enemy approaching, you just pinch and be done with it?

What do you mean by "revoke" L/M/H attacks? Push the enemy back and receive no damage? Then it could replace block and sidestep/backstep altogether. Whenever you see enemy approaching, you just pinch and be done with it?

Sorry if that was a little too vague. By ‘revoke’, I mean to cancel the opponent’s combo.

This isn’t necessarily meant to replace anything. The parry is mainly used to counteract taking less hits from the enemy. Sidestepping/dashing will still be there to get you where you want (as well as maneuverability) and blocking can be used to prevent succumbing to ranged attacks and protection against quick melee attacks.

• MaxBebopMaxBebop Posts: 481
    I’ve always thought a parry technique should be placed in the game, it should be done at a cost though, similar to mixmaster’s concussive block, it should knock back the opponent by just swiping forward while your in the middle of being hit, this will push back the opponent with some damage, but you cannot follow with a combo or sp move, and it should cost one single power bar to execute, it’s only to stop the hits so you can break away, this keeps it fair so the AI won’t take advantage by perfectly executing parries against us humans.

However it will be very painful to us when we fight mods that offer bonus power, DoTs or major crit damage per hits.
    edited June 2018
    Id say lose a % of a power bar but a full power bar lost to be able to do what the ai can do anyway is a bit much...... nothing more irritating than being in the middle of a combo and the ai driven opponent that doesnt have an evade evades....
  • Y2KY2K Posts: 252
    So it's the 360 move like in beat'em up games? But then you should sacrifice a bit of life. Parrying out of a started combo for free seems a bit unfair and if AI does it every time we're aggravated.
    Coukd take a small health penalty for it like mm sp3
  • Bodyopus79Bodyopus79 Posts: 155
    I would be perfectly happy with a dash cancel and a different "button" for ranged attacks. Say, hitting the top half of right side of screen for ranged, and bottom for melee
  • Y2KY2K Posts: 252
    Bodyopus79 wrote: »
    I would be perfectly happy with a dash cancel and a different "button" for ranged attacks. Say, hitting the top half of right side of screen for ranged, and bottom for melee

Then you can shot anytime at point blank?
    Y2K wrote: »
    Bodyopus79 wrote: »

Then you can shot anytime at point blank?

Ai does it all the time.... why cant we?
  • RemmieRemmie Posts: 212
    Like this .. like the idea of it consuming a power bar (think mortal Kombat reboot)
    More or less it'd function as a secondary to a sp1. Reserve it for when facing fast opponents or opponents with stun chain abilities.. be a great counter to some mods in higher levels I think too. Likesay, itd have to cost, and it's effectiveness is limited to breaking opponents combo giving a moment for a dash sidestep or block. So, it's more of a move of tactics than a cheese move. Say you start a battle decent, 8 hit combo vs a higher level bot (am, raid, even spotlight) and next thing you know the AI goes neo and just starts destroying you. Your power bar fills up 4-5 hits in , but you couldn't trigger a sp1 , so instead you slide both thumbs out to in and consume a bar of energy, dash back, and use a heavy to equalize the fight thus far. You're still at the disadvantage of having less power than your opponent, but can dash or block to change the tide. Bots w power control could benefit as they'd recover power quicker. Bots like Dinobot or mix who block as an ability would benefit in having a moment to throw a block. It actually could add a layer of depth given the right give and take
    edited June 2018
    * can only be used secondary to a sp1, meaning after you reach sp2 bar your chance to use it is gone.

*The success rate isnt 100%, you still must time it between hit frames, or the success rate would be in the 70 percentile.

*The parry could NOT parry heavy attacks. Only L/M attacks. People could spam parry to make range bots like ih and wasp(most demos) useless. Also, seems op to just brush off a heavy. Perhaps if it were an Option, you'd still receive damage from parrying a heavy.

*The AI success rate to parry would increase w rank tier rarity, therefore it'd only be in higher levels that IF the AI used it, would it be 100% success rate.

This way, neither the AI or player could gain an extreme advantage. The advantage is only slight, and cannot be used over and over consecutively. Whether AI or player use parry, it is not an offensive move, so it eliminates the aggravation or advantage of still inflicting damage. Only helping to mitigate damage received.
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    I guarantee that this would work wonderfully...for Kabam's wallet. The AI is faster than a human, so if it parries you then you're left wide open for a combo/heavy/special. If you parry, the AI is already attacking you again before you've even finished the parry animation.
    Thanks but no, the AI is cheap enough as it is now.
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    CandKane wrote: »
    I guarantee that this would work wonderfully...for Kabam's wallet. The AI is faster than a human, so if it parries you then you're left wide open for a combo/heavy/special. If you parry, the AI is already attacking you again before you've even finished the parry animation.

This.

Parry would be bad news for the game. All the benefit players gain would be overshadowed by the abuse of the skill by AI
  • BigbowlrBigbowlr Posts: 121
    Please God keep MCOC parry our of this game. It's a crutch that will just give devs cause to create even harder content
    Manthro wrote: »
    CandKane wrote: »

This.

Parry would be bad news for the game. All the benefit players gain would be overshadowed by the abuse of the skill by AI

Okay, this makes much more sense now. I guess this why people like to complain about MCOC’s parry a lot of the time. Just brainstorming ideas that I think could potentially make the game better, maybe this is an exception.
  • SparkShredderSparkShredder Posts: 1,300
    MaxBebop wrote: »
    I’ve always thought a parry technique should be placed in the game, it should be done at a cost though, similar to mixmaster’s concussive block, it should knock back the opponent by just swiping forward while your in the middle of being hit, this will push back the opponent with some damage, but you cannot follow with a combo or sp move, and it should cost one single power bar to execute, it’s only to stop the hits so you can break away, this keeps it fair so the AI won’t take advantage by perfectly executing parries against us humans.

However it will be very painful to us when we fight mods that offer bonus power, DoTs or major crit damage per hits.

10% of a power bar should be enough, you really think you will survive master mission by losing one bar per Parry,? You will be in dilemma, weather to get hit and save power for strong special, or avoid hit and let go of special attacks.
    edited June 2018
    How about... If you want parry, go play Contest of Champions.

Let's keep it out of this game. There's more options to avoid getting hit, unlike MCOC.

Just GitGud
    Manthro wrote: »
    How about... If you want parry, go play Contest of Champions.

Let's keep it out of this game. There's more options to avoid getting hit, unlike MCOC.

Just GitGud

I played MCOC and deleted it within a week. I came here because I love Transformers.

• CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    M CoC isn't bad, it's honestly what attracted me to Kabam in the first place, but I don't think parry would be a good fit here.
  • Bntyhntr3232_Bntyhntr3232_ Posts: 3,088
    Maybe just a swipe up for the parry?
    Maybe just a swipe up for the parry?

How about no parry.