Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

The Last Knight in retrospect

I don’t feel like TLK was a pile of garbage like 90% of the people that saw it. I found enjoyed a lot of things and like a lot. Contrary to most I found Hot Rod’s bad accent hilarious because he directly states that he hates it but he can’t get rid of it. To me Megatron’s design was awesome, Steve Jablonsky yet again wrote a great soundtrack, and the Battle between Optimus and Bumblebee, while short, was executed greatly. With that said, to me, the fil was overwhelming disappointing. It promises so much yet delivered so little. It teased such a strong Arch with Optimus Prime yet it was just kinda there. It teased Quintessa to be the ultimate creator as an ode to the Quintesson but she was just kinda there. The whole “Earth is Unicron” arc was ripped from Prime in a sloppy way. There was even the idea that Megatron would become a good guy for a bit as he would want to conquer earth where as Optimus now wants to destroy it, thus having Meg’s interest would align the humans causing an uneasy alliance. They teased Dragonstorm to be an ultimate dispatcher of Justice yet he was just there. Same thing goes for the knights, Infernocus, Hot Rod, and the Cons. I wanted so much more from this film. I don’t hate it, I’m just sad. What about you?

Comments

• All I can say now is The Last Knight put the series in a hole and Bumblebee pulled it out
  • BlackRazakBlackRazak Posts: 2,812
    @FulMetalGrimlok bruv you've just stated WHY it sucked.
    So much potential, so many arcs, ALL UNFULFILLED.
    It's like a talented child (with ADHD) came up with it.
    Potential effed royally over by bad execution
  • BlackRazak wrote: »
    @FulMetalGrimlok bruv you've just stated WHY it sucked.
    So much potential, so many arcs, ALL UNFULFILLED.
    It's like a talented child (with ADHD) came up with it.
    Potential effed royally over by bad execution

It just makes me sad to see all the squandered potential. At least we have Bumblebee
  • SlayerSlayer Posts: 1,085
    edited January 2019
    Hope Travis knight makes a transformers movie with all those arcs that were in TLK.
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    I just watched it.

Anyone else notice that in one scene, when Cybertron arrives and the humans are in a military control room, it says "I HAVE TO KILL YOU" on a wall in the background? Most interesting and introguing part of that film for me. Whatever happened to Grimlock? and Barricade?
  • SlayerSlayer Posts: 1,085
    DaveJL wrote: »
    I just watched it.

Anyone else notice that in one scene, when Cybertron arrives and the humans are in a military control room, it says "I HAVE TO KILL YOU" on a wall in the background? Most interesting and introguing part of that film for me. Whatever happened to Grimlock? and Barricade?

Also why drift wasnt in the last fight?
  • I have so much hate for TLK.
    -A pocket watch killed Hitler.. wtf???
    - Cogman is much stronger than crosshairs, a 20 foot transformer. Why would they make a human sized robot stronger than transformers?? Making them look insignificant in a movie about transformers
    - The writers seem to make it up as they go along saying FU to past events in previous movies
    - They re-casted that bold guy to play a different role.... in the same movie franchise 😂🤦🏾‍♂️ Tell me how is the same actor going to play two roles in two transformers movies back to back.
    - Donobots for some reason just werent there anymore :(
    - I find Hot Rod annoying. He looks really cool but I don’t like what they did with him.
    - Bumblebee can disintegrate like lego and pull himself back together again. If transformers can do that, why did Jazz die when he got ripped in half by Megatron? Why couldn’t he pull himself back together like bumblebee?
    - I don’t like that annoying little girl. I seriously don’t care about her and I hate how they try and make her feel useful. Just stop. And that “fight like a girl” trailer they made of her was just so unnecessary.
    - Why are they always looking for a relic/artifact? Who’s writing this?

I’m sorry for the rant. I could probably go on all day but it just annoys me because Transformers is my favourite franchise out of everything.

If you loved the movie, that’s good for you bro, enjoy it 👍🏾 I wish I did but I just found transformers 5 to be straight trash imo. Transformers 1 is still my favourite.
  • If you loved the movie, that’s good for you bro, enjoy it 👍🏾 I wish I did but I just found transformers 5 to be straight trash imo. Transformers 1 is still my favourite.

Dude Transformers 1 will always be the best of the Bay films. None of the sequels could top what the first film did.
  • Truly an awful film. I can excuse all the other films since those movies can be guilty pleasures but this film was downright bad. I apologize if I get into a rant :)

First off, they try fitting in so many different concepts into one movie. A movie is easier to do when it has a simple premise, but this one tries to have 5 different premises at once. They tried establishing the fact that Transformers were here since medieval times, then they added Nemesis Prime in to make it cool. Then they said "It needs a little more oomph", so they decided to throw Unicron in it as well. Then one of the writers had the idea of letting Quintessa and evil Cybertron come aboard to join into this movie. And finally they decided to let Megatron return as well to hunt down the Autobots. It's just so many different ideas to fit into one movie that it creates such a crowded and messy plot. It just spelled a recipe for disaster having Nemesis Prime appear for 4 minutes then discuss about how Merlin has connections to Unicron or some stuff like that.

There's some more of that cringey humor, such as that scene where the old women thought Cade and the scientist lady were doing "the thing". Har, har, another exual joke by Bay. There's gehtto Decepticons! That doesn't even make any sense! But I will admit, some of the humor was funny, particularly Cogman and Anthoney Hopkins' characters.

Then there's the editing. Action scenes always cut every 4 seconds to show what Cade and the other humans are doing, ruining the action sequence and making it more like an action scramble than a scene. And there's the weird Suicide Squad (which was alone a bad movie) introductions to Decepticons who were gonna die anyway. And there's the screen ratios, my God the screen ratios. Every single shot, the black bars and screen ratios of the screen change, making the movie even more of a headache to watch. One shot there's black bars, next shot they're nonexistent, then they come back again. It just hurt my hear watching it.

The Transformers were, again, hardly in it. The only characters emphasized on were Bee, Squeaks, Cogman, and Hot Rod. Hot Rod, I liked for his fun personality and overall struggle to fit in with Earth. But everyone else sucked. Nemesis was in it for 4 minutes. Grimlock was on the munchies. Background Autobots were background Autobots. Ghetto Decepticons died. Barricade disappeared. Again. Quientessa was :s Infernicus was cool looking but that's it. Dragon bot was pretty cool, but would have liked more backstory on it. And lastly, Megatron got kicked out of a window, like he always does. Also I got bad flashbacks when he said "Decepticons Retreat".

I rate the movie a 1/10

If you like this movie, more power to you :). It's awesome that you are able to enjoy and don't let my opinion change that. If you're able to fingers something good in it, then you can watch it as many times as you want.
    @Silent_Assassin since Hopkins>Cogman>Crosshairs>Onslaught,

Phew, lucky thing Sir Anthony Hopkins was killed

Otherwise he would've taken out BRUTICUS in the next Bay film.
    With the Declaration of Independence, that's secretly Primus in disguise
  • Well, First three movies were perfectly aligned.
    Then AOE kicked in. Hound and Optimus were telling the story to CADE about how their "Creators" caused extinction to dinosaurs to make them. Seriously? Prime said in RotF that all the ancient prime stuff was before them, knew nothing about. But I don't think Creator were in his time, who existed far far ago from the Primes. AOE just "Johnny sinned" whole timeline.
    And Showing the ancient relationship between the transformers and humans, cybertron and earth was COMPLETELY UNWANTED. It was a lot better if they remained unconnected and had different, separate origins.
    @SparkShredder

MV1: Megatron was here 1st! In 1800s! Allspark!
    RotF: Fallen was here 10,000BC! Created pyramids!
    DotM: Chernobyl was caused by Decepticons! McDreamy is evil! Sentinel is NBE2 in 1969, not Bumblebee in MV1!
    AoE: Scratch that! Dinosaurs! Transformers Dinosaurs!
    TLK: Ignore everything! Merlin had a pet Transformer! Harriet Tubbman knew Autobots! Hitler! Napolean too!
  • JKINJKIN Posts: 514
    Let me put it this way:
    My rank list:
    1. Bumblebee
    2. Age of Extinction
    3. The Last Knight
    The other three I have mixed feelings about.
    Here are the only things I'm thankful to Bay for.
    1. Being FORCED to direct Transformers 1. Look it up. He rejected it, said they're stupid. Then money.
    2. Blackout, Brawl and Bonecrusher's designs. And transformations.
    3. Bad Boys.
    4. Pain & Gain.
    5. The Rock.

Things i hated him for.
    1. TF 2, 3, 4, 5.
    2. Treating ladies like idiots. Peltz could've been replaced with a lamppost, with similar arc and results. Nice looking, though (like an Ikea lamp)
    edited January 2019
    Tyberious wrote: »
    Pain and Gain? Really?

Pain and Gain is hilarious due to the fact it's pretty much 90% accurate.
    Dumbest thieves you'd imagine.
    Dumb but dastardly.

Daniel Lugo and the Sun Gym gang.
    Schiller.
    Lamborghinis.
    Ninjas in daylight.
    Chainsaw returns.
    Tyberious wrote: »
    They accidental kill a guy, then kill his wife, then mutilate their bodies. They may have been idiots and tried to steal money, but ended up with multiple murder charges. Also, I did not realize the movie was based on real poeple when I saw it, but I still felt it made too much fun of murder.

Oh, that's just Michael Bay.

His whole reason for being IS glamorization of the taboo.

Hence the lack of morality or consequence, constantly younger women with each TF installment (always hyper sexualized) and stupid inaccuracies.
    I also think he's a genius for mocking his audience's intelligence with every film.
    And you guys love him for it.
  • If you loved the movie, that’s good for you bro, enjoy it 👍🏾 I wish I did but I just found transformers 5 to be straight trash imo. Transformers 1 is still my favourite.

Dude Transformers 1 will always be the best of the Bay films. None of the sequels could top what the first film did.

I know right.
  • :open_mouth: Y'all are making my day with these reviews. I love reviewing films myself (normally cheesy horror movies)

I always love watching Cheesy horror movies! Favorite series to watch is Nightmare on Elmstreet. Not only does it have creative kills and great practical effects, but Freddy is just an all-around fun character. Well, except in Wes Craven's New Nightmare (best movie imo) and the reboot.

• If you like this movie, more power to you :). It's awesome that you are able to enjoy and don't let my opinion change that. If you're able to fingers something good in it, then you can watch it as many times as you want.
    My order goes
    1 Bumblebee
    2 TF
    3 80s
    4 AOE
    5 DOTM
    6 ROTF
    7 TLK
    Bumblebee is a no brainer as to why it’s on top
    Same goes for TF 1
    As for 80s I put that there because they couldn’t have ended the cartoons in a better way. There are so many things this movie achieved that the Bay sequels never really could provide. I guess you could say
    It had the touch :)
    I put AOE over the other sequels because it had the most I liked. Contrary to most I absolutely loved Lockdown. His design, his theme, Mark Ryan’s performance, his role brutality and skill as a fighter, and other things. The Dinobot scene, while failed to live up to the amount it of time it was advertised, had me reeling in my seat with excitement. Finally seeing my favorite fictional character of any series I have ever been a fan of finally put on the silver screen was an unbelievable experience for me. To me the good far outweighed the bad unlike TLK
    DOTM was an awesome suspenseful film which constantly built tension until after the Chicago Attack in which it just went straight up from there. The action and emotion throughout the battle of Chicago was something not seen up till that point. The only real sins this movie has is Ironhides abrupt and emotionless death, and it’s portrayal of Shockwave, in which despite referring to him the deadliest Decepticon, is crippled by a bunch of guys with Machine guns.
    As for ROTF, the action scenes were awesome and Hugo Weaving’s performance was so much better than his TF1 performance because he felt much more malicious and ruthless despite being the secondary villain. But it was this movie where Bay really started to hammer in the unnecessary comedy and sex jokes. Except for the scene where Simmons tased Leo. Golden.
    I already stated my beliefs on TLK
    So that’s how I rate the movies
    Sorry if this was too long pls no flag ;_;
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    TLK was about as creative as making an abstract painting on the wall using a corn filled diaper.
    Manthro wrote: »
    TLK was about as creative as making an abstract painting on the wall using a corn filled diaper.

But...but..it had Sir Anthony of Hopkins, OBE, cussing and using preteen slang!

Has there ever been a franchise that makes top tier, award winning actors total garbage? I mean c'mon:
    1. Anthony Hopkins (!!!)
    2. John Malkovich (!!!)
    3. Frances McDormand (!!!)
    4. John Turturro
    5. Kelsey Grammer
    6. Stanley Tucci

Amazing
  • JKINJKIN Posts: 514
    BlackRazak wrote: »

Has there ever been a franchise that makes top tier, award winning actors total garbage? I mean c'mon:
    1. Anthony Hopkins (!!!)
    2. John Malkovich (!!!)
    4. John Turturro
    5. Kelsey Grammer
    6. Stanley Tucci

Amazing

I have to agree. Funny how that can happen.
  • VavatronVavatron Posts: 843
    I could not watch it. First film was okay, everything after was unwatchable for me. Revenge of the Fallen was a train wreck to watch. After that, I was out.

Bumblebee on the other hand was outstanding!
    edited January 2019
    My main gripe with the Bay films are how WEAK the Decepticons are.
    Or the Autobots, for that matter.

For a universe-faring race of sentient, technological, armored behemoths, they're awfully susceptible to machine guns (sabot rounds, whatever; those THAT THEORETICALLY WORK for dense, transformer armor, don't fit into standard assault rifles, otherwise tanks would be obsolete. Plus ballistics and physics, Mr Bay)

We have human death squads coming in HumVees and SUVs hunting down Transformers the size of small buildings (RotF) with small arms fire.
    Afghanistan would've been won in a day if the US military were that 'awesome'.

Even the Autobots hide in dilapidated surroundings to avoid pathetic submachine gun fire.

Blackout, or Scorponok in MV1 withstood massive arms fire (up to that ridiculous crotch shot), and even Megatron wimped out at the end, recoiling after taking hits from an F22's 30mm cannon.

When an earthen jet fighter gets hit by 30 mm cannons, it shreds metal.
    It DOESN'T recoil about, ffs
    These Transformers have tank like armor (actually stronger), it'll bounce off!

Trudge off with your stupid physics!
    At least Bumblebee got it right. Humvee machine gun rounds just bounced off him, leaving slight COSMETIC damage

So in conclusion if you argue any of the above, you're daft
    🤣
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    Bay was a producer for Bumblebee. Just sayin'
  • KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    BlackRazak wrote: »

1. Anthony Hopkins (!!!)
    2. John Malkovich (!!!)
    4. John Turturro
    5. Kelsey Grammer
    6. Stanley Tucci

Amazing

Aaaand I have no idea who any of those are
  • Was turturro is TLK? I can’t remember and don’t really want to subject myself to it again