Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Sideswipe Balance Update

edited July 2019 in General Discussion
Commanders!

On August 1st, Sideswipe will be available in the Store for Bot Chips as one of August's Featured Bot's, but before that, we have a surprise balance update coming for Sideswipe! This will be live at 10am PDT today!

We took the opportunity to rebalance his Abilities, giving him more Damage Potential and the ability to remove Shock Debuffs, while lowering the potency of his Signature Ability.

- When Sideswipe is knocked down, he will only lose 5 Critical Chance Buffs, instead of all of them.
- When Sideswipe has 10 Critical Hit Chance Buffs, and successfully lands a Special 2 Attack, he will gain a 50% Critical Damage buff for a set duration.
- When Sideswipe hits with a Heavy Attack, he will refresh all of his Critical Damage Buffs.
- When Sideswipe hits with a Heavy Attack, he will purify all Shock Debuffs.
- Sideswipe's Signature Ability has been adjusted to grant a maximum of 50% of his Maximum Power.

There was also previously a bug that affected Sideswipe's Signature ability, reducing its potency. This change will actually fix the issue, and make his Signature Ability work better than before, even though the maximum potential has been reduced.
Tagged:

Comments

• BaRdYaAmNBaRdYaAmN Posts: 1,506
    edited July 2019
    m75u6hzxt1hu.png
    So what about the next Spotlight stuff?
  • KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    Shock block trembles in fear
    Kitten wrote: »
    Shock block trembles in fear

But notice how it says "hits with a heavy", instead of simply just using the heavy
  • Darm0kDarm0k Posts: 2,485
    Is this the whole not-a-new-bot hint thing you were talking about before?
  • RocsolidRocsolid Posts: 302
    What about my girl arcee's signature fix... :(
  • 8tmemip2g00x.png

Baby shockwave is sad.
  • BonesetterHUNBonesetterHUN Posts: 367
    edited July 2019
    Now he gained my attention.. interesting, I appreciate these balance things :)

By the way: Ramjet's special 2 is miss very often when using right after a combo (or in the middle it)
    The first burning move is not reach the enemy and because of that, the enemy is blocking the missiles :) Check it out too
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    Cool. You've done right to give this global-launch-default bot a good excuse to arrive this late as chip purchased 5*.
  • SlayerSlayer Posts: 1,085
    edited July 2019
    Oh C'mon Kabam
    Sideswipe is a least preferable and favorite bot in both scouts and other bots in general
    We need fixes for Rhinox Heavy, Primal and Ramjet Sp2 , Relic of obedience vs Unstoppable bug. And so many other bugs affecting Bots that are definitely more popular than "sideswipe "

Also i do appreciate that you pumped his kit
    But should have fixed other bots along the way man..
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    He still needs his Romance synergy with Windblade changed over to Arcee. Any way that could be added, post balancing?
  • Bntyhntr3232_Bntyhntr3232_ Posts: 3,088
    I like him! I'm getting him!
    Synthwave wrote: »
    He still needs his Romance synergy with Windblade changed over to Arcee. Any way that could be added, post balancing?

No. Arcee loved Hardhead and then settled with Aileron. Now she's Greenlight's significant other. In which continuity does she pair with Swipe?
  • Synthwave wrote: »

He needs it back with himself for the lols

No. Arcee loved Hardhead and then settled with Aileron. Now she's Greenlight's significant other. In which continuity does she pair with Swipe?

He somewhat had a great bond with her in his last few days of existence. It was love, but more like family love than romantic.

You see Hardhead, Aileron, or Greenlight in this game?

Change the name from Romance to Comrades or Compatriots or something. But she and Sideswipe were very close. I don't even think Windblade and Sideswipe knew each other existed.
  • willdorfwilldorf Posts: 217
    edited July 2019
    Change the name from Romance to Comrades or Compatriots or something. But she and Sideswipe were very close. I don't even think Windblade and Sideswipe knew each other existed.

Plus, synergies with bots of another class are so much more useful, because 95% of people bring 3 or 5 bots of 3 or 5 different classes
  • DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    I'm happy to see Swipe get a fix. He has such great potential as a bot but was just SO vanilla. Hopefully this will bring him I to the realm of relevant now.
  • r078pqy2n77y.png
    artsnizitb1z.png

Though small, it doesn't show up properly
    Also how did Hot Rod not make it into the Speed Chasers Synergy that Sideswipe is a part of?

@Kabam Miike any chance you can talk to the team about some last minute Sideswipe synergy modifications before he goes live?

Swapping Arcee out for Windblade on the Romance synergy and adding Hot Rod to Speed Chasers makes sense. They're pretty average synergies in and of themselves, so I don't think these changes would unbalance anything, but it would give some of the lesser used bots a little more visibility with the player base.
    r078pqy2n77y.png
    artsnizitb1z.png

Though small, it doesn't show up properly

Now the MS_ID_ string plague (a.k.a. Hiccup server) arrives in English version too. :'(
  • Another bot able to take down shock block and ranged shock. Finally, he gets a good buff
    @Kabam Miike

In trying to foresee how he will play, I can already see one potential issue with Sideswipe and it's the same one that Thundercracker currently has; but it's also a problem that you guys solved with Galvatron, so I'm hoping you can do it with Thundercracker and Sideswipe as well.

Like Galvatron and his Dark Energy, both Sideswipe and Thundercracker have pretty important buff timers that are critical when using with their special attacks. If the special animation is too long, then the buffs will disappear before the damage is done, thus making the buffs useless.

That said, could you talk to the dev team about incorporating the same locked buff timers they used on Galvatron's specials for Sideswipe and Thundercracker? Their buffs are pretty important to their kit and are not easy to come by, so losing a buff because of special animation length seems pretty unfair.

If this has already been thought of with Sideswipe, then great; I hope Thundercracker will get the same treatment. If not though, I hope they'll seriously consider doing it.

Thanks!
    @Kabam Miike

In trying to foresee how he will play, I can already see one potential issue with Sideswipe and it's the same one that Thundercracker currently has; but it's also a problem that you guys solved with Galvatron, so I'm hoping you can do it with Thundercracker and Sideswipe as well.

Like Galvatron and his Dark Energy, both Sideswipe and Thundercracker have pretty important buff timers that are critical when using with their special attacks. If the special animation is too long, then the buffs will disappear before the damage is done, thus making the buffs useless.

That said, could you talk to the dev team about incorporating the same locked buff timers they used on Galvatron's specials for Sideswipe and Thundercracker? Their buffs are pretty important to their kit and are not easy to come by, so losing a buff because of special animation length seems pretty unfair.

If this has already been thought of with Sideswipe, then great; I hope Thundercracker will get the same treatment. If not though, I hope they'll seriously consider doing it.

Thanks!

Like Thundercracker's special 3, by the time it ends you can't get a hit in to refresh them
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure that Sideswipe's sp3 animation length will most likely be longer than his crit damage buff duration too. I hope they consider fixing it by locking the timers until the animation is over.
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure that Sideswipe's sp3 animation length will most likely be longer than his crit damage buff duration too. I hope they consider fixing it by locking the timers until the animation is over.

They should lock it like how the Resistance Debuffs are locked in Wasp's SP3.
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited July 2019

I'm not sure it's a big issue with sideswipe, because the Crit damage buff applies to the hits of the special, so you do get usage out of it even though it's expiring during the animation.

However, It's an issue with more bots than have already been mentioned.

Tantrum loses half the duration of his unstoppable buff during S3, leaving you with only 4-5s of buff in real time, when it should be 9s. You don't need unstoppable during S3, as it can't be blocked anyway. It would be a different story if the buff triggered on an S1 or S2, where blocking/dodging can affect the outcome.

There are other bots this happens to as well, I'll try to compile a comprehensive list.
  • ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    edited July 2019
    I just re-read the Crit damage buff description.

It won't play into an S3 issue @Synthwave

He has to successfully land an S2 to trigger it, and there's no way you'll charge up to an S3 afterwards to use it before it expires, unless you are ninja enough to refresh along the way.

Even then, he should get use out of it during the S3 hits.

To me, it makes sense that it would expire during S3 if you chose to use it.

I think a better tactic would be to continue stacking that Crit damage buff with multiple S2 instead of going for s3
    edited July 2019
    Manthro wrote: »
    I just re-read the Crit damage buff description.

It won't play into an S3 issue @Synthwave

He has to successfully land an S2 to trigger it, and there's no way you'll charge up to an S3 afterwards to use it before it expires, unless you are ninja enough to refresh along the way.

Even then, he should get use out of it during the S3 hits.

To me, it makes sense that it would expire during S3 if you chose to use it.

I think a better tactic would be to continue stacking that Crit damage buff with multiple S2 instead of going for s3

"When Sideswipe hits with a Heavy Attack, he will refresh all of his Critical Damage Buffs."

Hitting with a heavy to refresh what I'm guessing will be a 6-7 second buff is pretty doable. And even if you weren't going to use the special 3, the special 1 and special 2 animation is still long enough that it will eat up enough of the 6-7 seconds so that you won't be able to heavy right after the special is over and all the player's hard effort to earn the buff will be over.

I think if it's a 7 second buff duration that every time a special is triggered, the timer should refresh and lock to 7 seconds until the animation ends.

@Kabam Miike @Kabam Vydious your silence is worrisome lol. Are you tracking with what we're saying? Does it make sense what we're requesting? I know it sounds small, but this little thing really will determine if Sideswipe is truly getting a balanced buff or if he's just getting his chrome polished again (yeah I read the load screens, so what?)
  • Bntyhntr3232_Bntyhntr3232_ Posts: 3,088
    So...the ultimate question...

Is sideswipe in the B-A tier level

(As opposed to him being in D-C tier)
  • BrickT1973BrickT1973 Posts: 334
    So...the ultimate question...

Is sideswipe in the B-A tier level

(As opposed to him being in D-C tier)

Sideswipe was already an A-tier bot as far I’m concerned. You can use Sideswipe against everyone besides Bonecrusher. Technically he’s countered by Primal, but he’s strong enough that you can fight through him. You can even use him against Warriors and win, with his high power gain he can put out good damage against Scorponok to counter his nano-repair, and he can fight back against Arcee in two ways, her AI constantly shoots off ranged attacks for you to evade and gain power from, and she has a high chance to evade ranged attacks, but Sideswipe has no real reason to use his basic ranged attacks and he only has one ranged special attack.