Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

Why would you buff Sideswipe?

Comments

• BrickT1973 wrote: »
    Barricade is now sitting at the bottom of the list.

Nah, barricade is superior to SS, despite his buff. barricades strong backfires are better than SS' Crits.

I'm not so sure. How much damage can you expect from backfire in one round? Crit damage is within your control, backfire is not. If the enemy has sp2 and has backfire, and your Barricade has sp2, your logical choice is to steal power instead of waiting for the backfire damage. In short, backfire damage is just an added bonus for Barricade.

And there lies the point that Barricade is secretly a Power Manipulator. He prevents bots from trying to activate their Special Attacks via Backfire, as it is common for them to try and wait it out, being even more common than Scorponok. While they are holding out their Special Barricade has the opportunity to use his SP2 and steal power. If they do activate it, they suffer the consequences of Backfire.

His damage however, varies. I wish Laban would reveal the amount of damage each charge does a bot. But, I do know it's the most powerful Backfire damage in the game. I wouldn't put him at the bottom of the barrel, not even close. None of them are now...

Let's just say S-1000

I’d say Barricade is the worst Scout. His backfires are the strongest, but they’re still short and don’t stack without his signature, and even with his signature, they are still distinctly weaker than Jazz and Scorponoks in their own way. Jazz has a permanent Backfire, and can influence his enemy into using it. Scorponoks backfires seem to be close in damage to Barricades, and once they start to stack, it’s a death sentence, because you either use a special and take damage, or you get stunned/shocked.

And again, Barricade isn’t directly countered by anyone, nor does he counter anyone, and neither do any of his abilities. Sideswipe used to operate under this rule but that was his strength, you counter no one/get countered by no one. But now he directly counters every Tech bot besides the Sharkticon, in addition to Scorponok, Thundercracker, G1 Megatron and DOTM Bumblebee. This wouldn’t be as bad if it weren’t for the fact that he still doesn’t have any hard counters to use against him.

How could SS be possibly better?
    Aside from the fact he crits more often, barricade is definitely the better scout. He has STRONGER backfires than jazz AND scorponok. He has power steal, damage and crits. Ss is perhaps the worst scout. Also BC completely counters SS.
  • 小龙女小龙女 Posts: 641
    edited August 2019
    I was discussing in alliance. Even with buff, he is still not a worthy bot for forging, which to me is only criteria if a bot is good or not.

Bring sideswipe to AM difficulty 120 or 140 and compare him with other scouts, I am sure there is a reason why nobody rank 5 him or 100 forge him. And it won’t change even with the buff
  • VoltronVoltron Posts: 998
    BrickT1973 wrote: »
    Voltron wrote: »
    I’d say Barricade is the worst Scout. His backfires are the strongest, but they’re still short and don’t stack without his signature, and even with his signature, they are still distinctly weaker than Jazz and Scorponoks in their own way. Jazz has a permanent Backfire, and can influence his enemy into using it. Scorponoks backfires seem to be close in damage to Barricades, and once they start to stack, it’s a death sentence, because you either use a special and take damage, or you get stunned/shocked.

And again, Barricade isn’t directly countered by anyone, nor does he counter anyone, and neither do any of his abilities. Sideswipe used to operate under this rule but that was his strength, you counter no one/get countered by no one. But now he directly counters every Tech bot besides the Sharkticon, in addition to Scorponok, Thundercracker, G1 Megatron and DOTM Bumblebee. This wouldn’t be as bad if it weren’t for the fact that he still doesn’t have any hard counters to use against him.

we know your affinity for Sideswipe but the stuff you're saying to justifying what you want are eyerolling. you know this is a glaring contradiction between barricade and sideswipe? you realize any bot in the hands of a player against a NPC is going to be good and Kabam tries to balance this game by makings bots great at fighting against certain bots, good at most and horrible at a few... which is your whole justification.

fyi - any bot that can give bleeds, DOT or good damage are good counters against Sideswipe because he's a scout. Scouts can't take hits. and if you want a specific bot counter, Drift or even the loved Hound.

I don’t want anything outside of a buff for Ratchet and preferably the Sideswipe we had yesterday because he played fine as is. And the difference is Barricade is designed as an enemy for you to face similar to Grindor or Bonecrusher, which is why they all have less useful skill sets when you use them as opposed to the AI using them. But Sideswipe already played great. My issue is they took a strong bot and made him stronger while other bots are weak. I don’t see the logic of that.

I will say, I see Hounds crit rate down debuff and Drifts Precision countering him, I largely forgot about them both and their additional skills since they’re not bots I typically use. My bad there.

But I stand by Sideswipe already being powerful enough. I can take Grindor and Primal with him, I imagine I could take Hound and Drift with him as well. And I still think he’s very low on the list of bots that need a buff. It’d be like buffing Megatronus or Shockwave, or any of the other mid to high level bots around. They don’t need it, and neither did Sideswipe.

It's been repeated so many times from different people that Sideswipe is not useful when compared to other scouts and that is why he needed a buff. This is 100% different from Sideswipe being strong and why you can't see the logic. I can make any bot strong but I can't make them more useful...that is why we all favor certain bots more than the others.

• TechnobotTechnobot Posts: 661
    Hey everybody,

Thank you all for your thoughts and insight on this!

OP, Sideswipe is not a bad bot (I don't believe that any Bot in game is actually bad), but he was definitely not at the top of the list, and was not being utilized much because of it.

This doesn't mean that another Bot you'd rather see buffed might not be next for a rebalance though (Ratchet is not next though...).

Please be doing something with Soundwave. Ratchet is preferred, and I love Soundwave, but he has issues.

As someone who has bagged on Soundwave in the past, I have to eat my criticisms of him now. I’ve learned to fight with him correctly, and I’ve noticed a HUGE improvement in how to use him. Connect with a Heavy... you get Power Automatically Generated over time up to SP2; connect with an SP2... you get Power Automatically Generated over time to take you up to SP3. OK, so he may not be as good as a Duped Nanojack, mind you, but now that I can use him the right way, I like him a whole lot better.
  • BrickT1973BrickT1973 Posts: 334
    Technobot wrote: »
    Hey everybody,

Thank you all for your thoughts and insight on this!

OP, Sideswipe is not a bad bot (I don't believe that any Bot in game is actually bad), but he was definitely not at the top of the list, and was not being utilized much because of it.

This doesn't mean that another Bot you'd rather see buffed might not be next for a rebalance though (Ratchet is not next though...).

Please be doing something with Soundwave. Ratchet is preferred, and I love Soundwave, but he has issues.

As someone who has bagged on Soundwave in the past, I have to eat my criticisms of him now. I’ve learned to fight with him correctly, and I’ve noticed a HUGE improvement in how to use him. Connect with a Heavy... you get Power Automatically Generated over time up to SP2; connect with an SP2... you get Power Automatically Generated over time to take you up to SP3. OK, so he may not be as good as a Duped Nanojack, mind you, but now that I can use him the right way, I like him a whole lot better.

My goal as soon as I downloaded this game was to get Soundwave and master him. So I did that. He’s my champion. I have him as a 4-star, rank 5, level 50, forge 100, signature 60. I can take him into battle against any normal and I will win. Even most mods and bosses can’t stop him. But my problem is with how he plays. Namely his special 1 and special 3. Once you have him duped, there’s not really any reason to use either of them over his special 2. Just a little something to make them more valuable. Maybe a higher chance for power leak and stun on special 1 and a guaranteed power lock and higher stun chance on special 3. Or just a slight damage buff? As is, he’s pretty negligible, and there’s really never a reason to use him.
  • KittenKitten Posts: 1,897
    CSGO
  • Who knew sideswipe could elicit such fervent discussion?

we know your affinity for Sideswipe but the stuff you're saying to justifying what you want are eyerolling. you know this is a glaring contradiction between barricade and sideswipe? you realize any bot in the hands of a player against a NPC is going to be good and Kabam tries to balance this game by makings bots great at fighting against certain bots, good at most and horrible at a few... which is your whole justification.

fyi - any bot that can give bleeds, DOT or good damage are good counters against Sideswipe because he's a scout. Scouts can't take hits. and if you want a specific bot counter, Drift or even the loved Hound.

I don’t want anything outside of a buff for Ratchet and preferably the Sideswipe we had yesterday because he played fine as is. And the difference is Barricade is designed as an enemy for you to face similar to Grindor or Bonecrusher, which is why they all have less useful skill sets when you use them as opposed to the AI using them. But Sideswipe already played great. My issue is they took a strong bot and made him stronger while other bots are weak. I don’t see the logic of that.

I will say, I see Hounds crit rate down debuff and Drifts Precision countering him, I largely forgot about them both and their additional skills since they’re not bots I typically use. My bad there.

But I stand by Sideswipe already being powerful enough. I can take Grindor and Primal with him, I imagine I could take Hound and Drift with him as well. And I still think he’s very low on the list of bots that need a buff. It’d be like buffing Megatronus or Shockwave, or any of the other mid to high level bots around. They don’t need it, and neither did Sideswipe.

It's been repeated so many times from different people that Sideswipe is not useful when compared to other scouts and that is why he needed a buff. This is 100% different from Sideswipe being strong and why you can't see the logic. I can make any bot strong but I can't make them more useful...that is why we all favor certain bots more than the others.

Who knew sideswipe could elicit such fervent discussion?

I legitimately did not expect this. I never knew so many people didn’t like or use Sideswipe. I don’t even have him at that high a level, he’s not even among my top 15, but whenever I use him, I tear through whoever I’m facing.
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779

I legitimately did not expect this. I never knew so many people didn’t like or use Sideswipe. I don’t even have him at that high a level, he’s not even among my top 15, but whenever I use him, I tear through whoever I’m facing.

And when exactly do you use him? Arena?
  • Phoenix8318Phoenix8318 Posts: 117
    edited August 2019
    He definitely needed a buff, as probably 99% of the forum members think. I have never had one player in my alliances that used him for Master spotlight, Map 3 30+ in AM or for that matter even considered bringing him in to any of the Legends missions. Simply because there are scouts that are much better counters and outshines Swipe by a long shot. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    DaveJL wrote: »

Arena and missions when I wanna change which team I’m using. I use just about every bot in the game on one team or another, except Megatronus and Nemesis Prime. He’s not on my A-Team, he’s on my C-Team. But I use bots based on who I like as characters, and then I change how I play and make myself good with them. I realize Ramjet is not one of the best bots around, neither is Soundwave, but I like the characters so I use them. And in my experience Sideswipe is one of the best bots. He didn’t have any specific advantages over any bots or mods, but he hit so hard that it didn’t matter.
  • Gunz0Gunz0 Posts: 2,949
    Good thread, the forum hasn’t had a meaningful discussion like this for a long time.

Also, now that Sideswipe has become a discount-KB, I guess either Barricade or GS Bee has taken his place as the worst Scout bot in the game. The Scout class has become like the Tech and Demo classes after Sideswipe’s buff recently, there are no bad bots, no useless bots, just the way I like.

Arena and missions when I wanna change which team I’m using. I use just about every bot in the game on one team or another, except Megatronus and Nemesis Prime. He’s not on my A-Team, he’s on my C-Team. But I use bots based on who I like as characters, and then I change how I play and make myself good with them. I realize Ramjet is not one of the best bots around, neither is Soundwave, but I like the characters so I use them. And in my experience Sideswipe is one of the best bots. He didn’t have any specific advantages over any bots or mods, but he hit so hard that it didn’t matter.

if that's the case...not sure you like Rat as a character....but you should spend some time getting familiar with Rat. He's not as weak as you think he is, and you thinking he's weak shows you don't know how to use him. New players always get turned off by his low damage output and armor because we all tend to focus on melee damage (i mean we play this game to beat stuff up) but once they understand his abilities, he's a key member. His kit is actually more useful than Sideswipe.
  • that1guythat1guy Posts: 374
    Sideswipe is a good bot, but as others have said he lacked meaningful utility to bring in crucial fights. They gave him lots of powegain, and crit chance before, but it didn't buy him too much favours. He needed this buff to give him a direction in what his purpose is supposed to be.

if that's the case...not sure you like Rat as a character....but you should spend some time getting familiar with Rat. He's not as weak as you think he is, and you thinking he's weak shows you don't know how to use him. New players always get turned off by his low damage output and armor because we all tend to focus on melee damage (i mean we play this game to beat stuff up) but once they understand his abilities, he's a key member. His kit is actually more useful than Sideswipe.

I love Ratchet, he’s on my B-Team because he’s always been one of my favorite Autobots. I paid close attention to his kit and can use him fairly effectively. But my view on Ratchet hasn’t changed. He is still one of the weakest bots in the game, and to get any damage out of him, you need to spam attacks with repeated animations. He’s the most visually bland character in the game, and it’s hard for him to go against any non-Demos. Even then nothing in his kit specifically counters anyone, and he can only effectively hold his own against Demos thanks to the class advantage.
    that1guy wrote: »
    Sideswipe is a good bot, but as others have said he lacked meaningful utility to bring in crucial fights. They gave him lots of powegain, and crit chance before, but it didn't buy him too much favours. He needed this buff to give him a direction in what his purpose is supposed to be.

I can understand that, but if that’s the case, would you, or anyone reading this, give Bludgeon or Ironhide a buff as well? Sure they’re both hard-hitting, but neither has any particular utility or reason to use them in a fight over anyone else in their class, outside of each having higher damage, or in Bludgeons case, higher armor, than the rest of their class.

I love Ratchet, he’s on my B-Team because he’s always been one of my favorite Autobots. I paid close attention to his kit and can use him fairly effectively. But my view on Ratchet hasn’t changed. He is still one of the weakest bots in the game, and to get any damage out of him, you need to spam attacks with repeated animations. He’s the most visually bland character in the game, and it’s hard for him to go against any non-Demos. Even then nothing in his kit specifically counters anyone, and he can only effectively hold his own against Demos thanks to the class advantage.

Bear in mind he was the first healer in the game. He Is due for a little buff to keep him on par with WJ and the likes. I don’t think he’s been buffed since release.

Ok, he isn’t as relevant as a single bot, but he still brings a lot, I accept that. His pillow fists reflect the fact he’s practically unkillable though. All about balance, he can’t be too overpowered. Just ask beta players about his nerf. Now that was overpowered. They had to nerf him. That says a lot about a bots usefulness
    you don't understand because you're still going on about this and can't accept it. comparing IH or Blud to Sideswipe is like apples to oranges (though Blud may have a case). you use damage output, counters, utility as your justification for and against certain bots but you adjust these scales depending on how you feel about the bot and are nothing but contradictions. I also love how all these said bots are your B team and lower. Like you can really get to know a bot's full potential running B-C difficulty. Sorry but you do not know how to use Rat if you think he's only limited to demo. In fact, I had no issues using Rat to beat Master Nem Prime. I didn't need a G1 Megs, Shock or Cheetor like you said. You're entitled to your opinion so I'll just leave it as a difference of opinion. moving on from this thread.

Bear in mind he was the first healer in the game. He Is due for a little buff to keep him on par with WJ and the likes. I don’t think he’s been buffed since release.

Ok, he isn’t as relevant as a single bot, but he still brings a lot, I accept that. His pillow fists reflect the fact he’s practically unkillable though. All about balance, he can’t be too overpowered. Just ask beta players about his nerf. Now that was overpowered. They had to nerf him. That says a lot about a bots usefulness

I wasn’t around for the beta, but Ratchet right now is not up to par. Really, just give him a new special 1 animation and a health buff and he’d be better. His role is supposed to be “Outlast everyone else” but he can’t because he has very low base health and he has nothing to mitigate damage taken, AND he doesn’t even repair effectively until he’s half dead. His only saving grace is his synergies, but that’s not enough.
    you don't understand because you're still going on about this and can't accept it. comparing IH or Blud to Sideswipe is like apples to oranges (though Blud may have a case). you use damage output, counters, utility as your justification for and against certain bots but you adjust these scales depending on how you feel about the bot and are nothing but contradictions. I also love how all these said bots are your B team and lower. Like you can really get to know a bot's full potential running B-C difficulty. Sorry but you do not know how to use Rat if you think he's only limited to demo. In fact, I had no issues using Rat to beat Master Nem Prime. I didn't need a G1 Megs, Shock or Cheetor like you said. You're entitled to your opinion so I'll just leave it as a difference of opinion. moving on from this thread.

I take all my teams against higher level opponents and against bots who counter them. I know how every bot plays and how to best use them against every other bot. Don’t tell me I don’t know any bots full potential. I can take Ratchet against any bot in the game, but he struggles more than others without a class advantage. That’s undeniable. He has lower damage and health than almost all other bots. His heal is ineffective and doesn’t really appear until 50% of his health is gone. His shocks and stuns are unreliable. And he still has the worst animations in the game. And Nemesis Prime is not a challenging fight. Megs Shock and Cheetor best counter his repair mod, but if you take him on using a bot who doesn’t have armor or attack buffs, you’re left with a bot who relies on easily avoidable heavies and specials to damage and repair. I’ve come to realize Nemesis is a lot worse than I initially thought. And still, Sideswipe, Bludgeon and Ironhide play simply and don’t have much utility beyond their damage.

I wasn’t around for the beta, but Ratchet right now is not up to par. Really, just give him a new special 1 animation and a health buff and he’d be better. His role is supposed to be “Outlast everyone else” but he can’t because he has very low base health and he has nothing to mitigate damage taken, AND he doesn’t even repair effectively until he’s half dead. His only saving grace is his synergies, but that’s not enough.

He used to be able to repair after a heavy at any health. I came along not long after and read the discussions about it.

He’s still fantastic at staying alive though. Yes he needs a little something to bring him up to par, be it more health, new animations or higher attack, but his kit itself is perfectly fine. Chain stun, shocks on ranged, power gain and repair on tap, a good setup. But he needs a little more.

I’d like to see some changes, maybe like heal reversal (like a dot when they’re healing) on his sp3, possibly a health steal on sp2 hits (not the heal) which would give it a little more damage output, and 100% chance of heal block on sp1 alongside the stun. Ranged shocks can stay as is, along with the 50% threshold for healing, healing mechanics on sp2, and crit rate bonus on sp3.

This would give him a new way of playing a tech, without going for power control. He’d be all about healing, and controlling healing. He should be all things related to health anything. Health steal, repair block, repairing himself, heal reversal for a set amount of time (so it’s not too OP), and suddenly the medic in the game gets more health related stuff. Give him more alongside what he’s already got. Make him better as the heal master he should be.

He used to be able to repair after a heavy at any health. I came along not long after and read the discussions about it.

He’s still fantastic at staying alive though. Yes he needs a little something to bring him up to par, be it more health, new animations or higher attack, but his kit itself is perfectly fine. Chain stun, shocks on ranged, power gain and repair on tap, a good setup. But he needs a little more.

I’d like to see some changes, maybe like heal reversal (like a dot when they’re healing) on his sp3, possibly a health steal on sp2 hits (not the heal) which would give it a little more damage output, and 100% chance of heal block on sp1 alongside the stun. Ranged shocks can stay as is, along with the 50% threshold for healing, healing mechanics on sp2, and crit rate bonus on sp3.

This would give him a new way of playing a tech, without going for power control. He’d be all about healing, and controlling healing. He should be all things related to health anything. Health steal, repair block, repairing himself, heal reversal for a set amount of time (so it’s not too OP), and suddenly the medic in the game gets more health related stuff. Give him more alongside what he’s already got. Make him better as the heal master he should be.

I totally agree. His kit is fine in theory. I think a Repair Block and flat Critical Chance Buff on special 3, a new animation for either of his special 1 or special 2, slightly increased special 2 repair just so it has more use, and a health buff by 5% or 10% would be great for him. It doesn’t make sense that the legendary franchise medic has limited healing, especially relative to other bots. Maybe update his signature too, considering how similar it is to Shockwaves.

I totally agree. His kit is fine in theory. I think a Repair Block and flat Critical Chance Buff on special 3, a new animation for either of his special 1 or special 2, slightly increased special 2 repair just so it has more use, and a health buff by 5% or 10% would be great for him. It doesn’t make sense that the legendary franchise medic has limited healing, especially relative to other bots. Maybe update his signature too, considering how similar it is to Shockwaves.

That sig has saved me many a time. Shockwaves is different, in the sense it’s dependant on power. That should stay. It really amps up in usefulness at higher levels.

The medic of the game should opitimise all things healing, even on the opponent. It gives him niche adaptations and certain situations where ratchet would shine. Imagine him heal reversing on an energon shield node, or life transfer. That more than makes up for his pillow fists. Give him more healing power, rather than incorporate power control like any other random tech has. He would really stand out as the king of all things healing then.

@Kabam Vydious a few folks have asked for ratchet to be buffed now, what’s the chances of adding a little extra to his kit next month?
  • Down_UnderDown_Under Posts: 149
    Just get Kabam to un nerf Ratchet back to how he was
  • DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    Alot of talk about Ratchet. He was buffed once since release...they gave him a 5% overall buff, damage and health. It helped...a little.
    For me running OG Prime, Prowl, and eventually Grimlock, he's an absolutely necessary part of the team. I've always been good with him. He's actually best when used as a ranged fighter. His shock deals steady damage.
    I do agree he needs a damage mitigation shield or something. He can't take a hit or really deal one. His sp3 has the potential to really pack a punch, but who really used that? His sp2 is what makes him Ratchet.
    I feel SS is really about to shine. He's fast and a real MF when placed on either a HA or an evade mod.
    DrShotgun wrote: »
    Alot of talk about Ratchet. He was buffed once since release...they gave him a 5% overall buff, damage and health. It helped...a little.
    For me running OG Prime, Prowl, and eventually Grimlock, he's an absolutely necessary part of the team. I've always been good with him. He's actually best when used as a ranged fighter. His shock deals steady damage.
    I do agree he needs a damage mitigation shield or something. He can't take a hit or really deal one. His sp3 has the potential to really pack a punch, but who really used that? His sp2 is what makes him Ratchet.
    I feel SS is really about to shine. He's fast and a real MF when placed on either a HA or an evade mod.

Yeah I imagine Sideswipes definitely gonna be seeing a lot more use. He was always a pain to find, and I’m sure he’s gonna become a more consistent pain now.

And that’s Ratchets biggest drawback. There may be worse bots in a technical way, but no one else is as weak on both fronts as he is. Because he can “heal” Ratchet is given lower health and damage than almost all other characters. Except, he only heals a negligible amount, unless he’s half dead, in which case you’re just healing back limited health and always fighting against someone who can tear through you because he has no defensive capabilities. And on top of all that, he has the most repetitive animations in the game. Ultra Magnus almost has the same problem, but we get just enough variety with him that it’s not as noticeable as it is with Ratchet. I’m hoping he’s updated next, but from the message I saw, it seems we will have to wait. So I’m guessing Soundwave or possibly Motormaster next.
  • Down_UnderDown_Under Posts: 149
    It's gotta be Motormaster
    Down_Under wrote: »

It better be. Him and Ratchet need an update more than anyone else. Soundwave possibly, just because there’s not much reason to use anything but his special 2, but I can’t think of anyone else who needs one.
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105

It better be. Him and Ratchet need an update more than anyone else. Soundwave possibly, just because there’s not much reason to use anything but his special 2, but I can’t think of anyone else who needs one.

SW's sp1 can drain power. It helps in those desperate times.

SW's sp1 can drain power. It helps in those desperate times.

Yeah but it’s unreliable. His special 1 and his special 3 are both high-risk, low-reward gambles. His special 1 might leak power, or you might just give them more, and his special 3 might give a short power lock, but only after giving the opponent almost a full bar of power and relies on most of its damage from its shocks. Both have a small chance for a stun, and neither generate power. His special 2 deals high burst damage, always shocks and rapidly generates power for his specials and his shield.

I still think he’s shouldn’t get an update before Ratchet, Motormaster, or the Movie cons, since his heavy, special 2, shield and health are just that good, but it seems it’s gonna be him since Motormaster and the Movie cons were already featured, and one of the mods said flat out it isn’t Ratchet. Could be Ramjet, but he’s in the same boat as Soundwave. A few minor weaknesses, but on the whole they’re both strong bots and aren’t in desperate need of any changes, unlike the rest.