Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

New Apple store app guidelines require lootbox rates to be disclosed

News article:
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/17/12/20/apple-revises-developer-guidelines-restricts-loot-boxes-amends-template-generated-app-ban

Developer guidelines:
https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#in-app-purchase
Apps offering “loot boxes” or other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase.

Thanks EA.
Tagged:

Comments

• LaprasLapras Posts: 258
    Interesting, seems like this game is in violation of these rules.
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    I would kinda like to know the numbers myself, just out of curiosity.
  • Think we should all give Apple a call and make them aware of this
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    That would be sweet if they finally posted the drop rates.
  • Username819273943Username819273943 Posts: 85
    edited December 2017
    my pitchfork is ready (incase thread gets deleted)
  • Hey Commanders,

We haven't really talked with you all about this much, but want to emphasize - we adhere to any rules, regulations, and laws that we are required to abide by. We are currently working with Apple to better understand these new guidelines, are still learning about them ourselves and what the impact of these changes will be.

We don't currently have any further information to share or discuss at this time, but as soon as that changes, we will let everyone know!
  • SynthwaveSynthwave Posts: 1,012
    I anticipate seeing the drop rates suddenly increasing again to pre-monthly featured bot update rates, lol.

Honestly though, I'm probably not gonna pull any Hive crystals until I see some drop rates.
  • TerminalTerminal Posts: 789
    I didn't mean to imply Kabam is doing something wrong here, this was a change that Apple made only a day or so ago.

It's a huge piece of news that will impact the entire gaming scene in a big way and it will take some time for developers all over the world to act on it.
  • KittenPrimeKittenPrime Posts: 1,144
    Premium shards drop rates:
    2* - 99%
    3* - .9%
    4* - 0%
    A temmie .1%
  • CandKaneCandKane Posts: 718
    What's a temmie?
  • KittenPrimeKittenPrime Posts: 1,144
    CandKane wrote: »
    What's a temmie?

The meaning of life, the universe and everything
  • Who's organising the sweeps? :p

Seriously though, the "Hive Crystal" would be an ideal one to begin this with, since it's only available for a limited time and after that, old-school Bee seemingly wont be available again. Knowing the odds of actually pulling him might make me consider stumping up the cash for the effort.

If we are taking bets, I'm gonna say that on average, getting a 4* bot through featured crystals is 10% cheaper than getting one through a "guaranteed purchase", which I think is 2,500e these days? That'd mean 2,250e worth of crystals at 120 each, making it one in 19 crystals, or just over 5% for 'any' 4*. To get the 'featured bot' I don't have much to go on, but I reckon about 20% of 3-4* pulls would be the featured bot. Just plucking that number from a random orifice
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    19 Crystals to get a 4* is extremely lucky I'm afraid. Even those entire PBC from spotlight rewards won't give out that easily.
  • key word for thought: Misstatements
  • key word for thought: Misstatements

Do you mean to say that we would misstate the information? We're not liars, or super villains. That would be a terrible idea, and lying has never been our MO. Lying provides us no benefit, and just causes problems for everybody in the end.
  • juliusjulius Posts: 66
    Exactly,don't forget the experiments someone just did recently: 9000e for 1 single 4* bot...that's even from the featured og prime crystals, supposedly with increased drop rates.
    19 Crystals to get a 4* is extremely lucky I'm afraid. Even those entire PBC from spotlight rewards won't give out that easily.

• ReworkRework Posts: 122
    edited December 2017
    I'm happy to see that someone is finally demanding more transparency from App providers who insist on using the "random draw" as the way they distribute gamepieces. It is effectively gambling, and there have been long-standing regulations on making consumers aware of the odds of that or contests and sweepstakes.

Frankly, unless the company has something to hide or rates so low they are embarrassed of, I don't know why most do not disclose this information, anyway. If you can show a fair chance of getting something useful, it only encourages players to spend money.
  • I would love to know the “random” drop rates. After opening six 4* crystals (one I paid a lot of money for) I somehow only have three different bots (with three copies of one of those). I stupidly spent money for a new robot, not some weak upgrade to one I already have.
  • Duplicates is fine once I have a number of originals. It’s not fine when I either work my tail off for shards or spend $30 on a crystal. Having three top level robots does no good for high difficulty missions when you need five. The statistical improbability of what I got is staggering. The last three crystals I’ve opened have been the same bot. Even if it’s not intentional, how do I know it’s not a glitch? What if the “randomizing” programming is stuck in a loop?
  • I’d say worse, it’s Mirage. At least Mixmaster’s specials cause major damage if you let the special damage buff stack. Mirage couldn’t punch his way out of a paper bag...
  • Eh, I’m not impressed. There’s a dozen bots I’d prefer to have over him. He just doesn’t do much damage.
  • nomisunomisu Posts: 307
    edited December 2017
    While i agree Mirage is not tops at dps , he is a technical bot and very good at winning matches where he is the underdog
  • Dircules wrote: »
    Can’t really disclose universal drop rates if they’re different per account or dynamic in some way. That’s why they’re talking to Apple, how this applies to them. Otherwise the rules are quite clear, a % drop for each item that can come out of loot boxes. So that’s roughly 80 options of a feature crystal.

Ever since it was discovered that the old 1* crystals will always land on a bot you don’t have yet, if there is one in the crystal, I simply cannot believe similar although more subtle trickery is not used in any other crystal. Yet I still buy them.

Agree

I tried to bring attention to the word "misstatement", not a indictment not an accusation aginst Kabam, just a relatevant asserion all parties should be AWARE. Because it happens with biggest and most reputable companeis:

This is just in the news cycle "Apple has acknowledged what many iPhone owners long suspected: It has slowed older phones", they did it delibrately and public always blieved it was a myth.
  • ReworkRework Posts: 122
    Any idea how long Apps have to come into compliance with this new policy?
  • juliusjulius Posts: 66
    A rule without enforcement / punishment is equivalent to no rule at all.
    Rework wrote: »
    Any idea how long Apps have to come into compliance with this new policy?

• ManthroManthro Posts: 2,752
    I would wager all game developers have 3-6 months to comply with whatever the guidelines are.