Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!
Options

Support the game and it could become what you hoped it would be.

Comments

• Options
    DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    We're still assuming that money is the problem here and it isn't something that Hasbro have imposed on them.

Assuming it is money, here is my thinking again.

The problem is that the whole concept of continually developing and evolving games like this, which are essentially a combo of MMORPG and fighting, is that the premise of these games requires progression and development for the player. As we play, we progress and develop in the hopes we can beat ever increasingly more challenging and rewarding content - but if we progress and develop then the content and rewards need to as well.

The business model kind of relies on them putting out new content, challenging content, interesting content, rewarding content etc. I'm in a position where I don't need to develop my roster any further as it's perfectly capable of tackling all the content in the game that I care for. Playing harder AM isn't really a priority because the rewards aren't justified in the cost of doing that, so I'm happy playing at a lower level and accruing resources more slowly. All I have left to do is rank bots up for more arena points - but the arena rewards and milestones haven't changed, so I can still get what I need from there.

I'm not going to spend money for the sake of spending money - I need a reason and something solid in return and that is true of pretty much all transactions in the world. If the freemium business model isn't working then perhaps they should operate a subscription based model or something. They take the risk by creating a free game and hope players will pay for premium content and features. To a lot of players, there is no longer any premium content or features. I've spent a lot of money to progress and get an advantage etc, and Kabam should have been reinvesting that money to keep the game progressing. The game hasn't progressed or developed. They've had an opportunity to use their revenue to improve the game and they haven't taken it, from my perspective. If I opened a restaurant and advertised free water, breadsticks, wifi and phone charging in the hopes of enticing customers so they will end up paying for items on the menu, then I better make damn sure that the items on the menu are worth paying for. If people are just abusing the free stuff and not paying, then I should charge an entry fee or remove the free element I guess.
  • Options
    Bi1b0BagginsBi1b0Baggins Posts: 1,049
    This game should have exploded and taken over the MCOC popularity due to its superior gameplay, however, for whatever reasons (Marvel > Hasbro?), it did not. The only reason I started playing MCOC was because I was an old-school comic book fan. It was my first mobile game and I quickly got hooked. The reason I stopped was a combination of glitches, whale milking, and endless grindage. When TFTF came along I picked it up and was playing both for a while until I got fed-up with MCOC. I haven't given up on TFTF yet, but I don't agree that the burden should fall on the customer to keep the game alive. What sensible business doesn't budget (in advance) for new content? We are literally providing all of the new ideas for content, so all they have to do is code it.
  • Options
    ToughTough Posts: 237
    I’ve spent close to $73,000 on this game. Games fine where it’s at, nothing to complain about from me. Keep up the good work kabam 👍
  • Options
    Bi1b0BagginsBi1b0Baggins Posts: 1,049
    Tough wrote: »
    I’ve spent close to $73,000 on this game. Games fine where it’s at, nothing to complain about from me. Keep up the good work kabam 👍

All of these:

https://giphy.com/search/surprised
  • Options
    This game should have exploded and taken over the MCOC popularity due to its superior gameplay, however, for whatever reasons (Marvel > Hasbro?), it did not. The only reason I started playing MCOC was because I was an old-school comic book fan. It was my first mobile game and I quickly got hooked. The reason I stopped was a combination of glitches, whale milking, and endless grindage. When TFTF came along I picked it up and was playing both for a while until I got fed-up with MCOC. I haven't given up on TFTF yet, but I don't agree that the burden should fall on the customer to keep the game alive. What sensible business doesn't budget (in advance) for new content? We are literally providing all of the new ideas for content, so all they have to do is code it.

I think Marvel just has a much deeper well from which to draw on. More characters, more comics, bigger audience. You get fans of the comics, fans of the animated programs and fans of the films. The MCU has been successful and reasonably well received where as the Transformers films haven't been that well received, the comics are less known and less numerous and the TV shows are either old or aimed at kids or just not very wel known. Sure, Transformers has a strong toy line, but that just isn't enough to catapult the Tranformers brand to the heights of the Marvel brand. Not even DC can compete with Marvel, so it's no surprise that Marvel games, and MCoC in particular, have done and continue to do well. DC has the depth Marvel do, but the thing DC and Transformers have in common is bad films. I heard Injustice was better than MCoC but still didn't compete on mobile terms. Game quality just isn't enough when the source material is what really sells it.
  • Options
    I spend roughly $100 a month on this game. My biggest problem is after spending this much money, close to $1,000, we can't get a solid answer about the state of the future of this game. I would like to know that my money wasn't wasted oh, and that any future spending wouldn't be met with a discontinued game a week later. Communication from developers would go a long way.
  • Options
    iuJacobiuJacob Posts: 442
    edited January 2019
    Tough wrote: »

You have?

Or your dad?

Here, let me quote what you said at one point:

‘My dad works hard for my money so I don’t have to’
  • Options
    IvanTyIvanTy Posts: 55
    https://youtu.be/CTin0Qli_nw

As you can see ladies and gentlemen the developers of marvel contest of champion are very passionate to their work and they make a video on how they make new characters and content while TFTF doesnt make developers video at all. So sad but the truth hurts.
  • Options
    IvanTy wrote: »

As you can see ladies and gentlemen the developers of marvel contest of champion are very passionate to their work and they make a video on how they make new characters and content while TFTF doesnt make developers video at all. So sad but the truth hurts.

MCOC gets The THING.

While TFTF gets noTHING.

(I will admit, I am surprised it took them that long to add the Fantastic 4, but licencing issues are licensing issues)
  • Options

MCOC gets The THING.

While TFTF gets noTHING.

(I will admit, I am surprised it took them that long to add the Fantastic 4, but licencing issues are licensing issues)

They've only just got the rights back for the Fantastic Four haven't they (Marvel).
  • Options
    ScarredArachnid333ScarredArachnid333 Posts: 1,856
    edited January 2019
    DaveJL wrote: »

MCOC gets The THING.

While TFTF gets noTHING.

They've only just got the rights back for the Fantastic Four haven't they (Marvel).

Well, Marvel always has the rights to make comics of the Fantastic 4, but 20th Century Fox has the licensing rights to put them in media like games and movies. This explains why Marvel has never made a MCU movie about the Fantastic 4 or why Dr. Doom and Super-Skrull were absent in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. It's a bit like Spider-man; Spider-man Homecoming may be an MCU movie, but it's still a Sony movie, not a Disney movie. They only way the Fantastic 4 could be accessed in game media is if Fox allows permission and if they company is willing to pay Fox. The reason why they have to ask permission in the first place is because most big Marvel nowadays games allow MCU characters, so they are mainly associated with Disney.

Disney did managed to buy/merge with Fox but the deal isn't going to go full until March. When that happens, the X-Men and the Fantastic 4 MIGHT be in more media. But, I'm not really sure how they managed to get the Fantastic 4 in MCOC or Future Fight unless Fox did give them permission or the Disney/Fox merger allowed them to use the characters early.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

MCOC gets The THING.

While TFTF gets noTHING.

MCOC gets The THING.

While TFTF gets noTHING.

Well, Marvel always has the rights to make comics of the Fantastic 4, but 20th Century Fox has the licensing rights to put them in media like games and movies. This explains why Marvel has never made a MCU movie about the Fantastic 4 or why Dr. Doom and Super-Skrull were absent in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. It's a bit like Spider-man; Spider-man Homecoming may be an MCU movie, but it's still a Sony movie, not a Disney movie. They only way the Fantastic 4 could be accessed in game media is if Fox allows permission and if they company is willing to pay Fox. The reason why they have to ask permission in the first place is because most big Marvel nowadays games allow MCU characters, so they are mainly associated with Disney.

Disney did managed to buy/merge with Fox but the deal isn't going to go full until March. When that happens, the X-Men and the Fantastic 4 MIGHT be in more media. But, I'm not really sure how they managed to get the Fantastic 4 in MCOC or Future Fight unless Fox did give them permission or the Disney/Fox merger allowed them to use the characters early.

Marvel proper could always use whatever characters they wanted in their games, comics, toys, etc. It was exclusively the films where MARVEL STUDIOS (Disney) couldn’t use those characters, because the film rights were sold off years ago to several different studios, in this case FF/X-Men to Fox, when Marvel was desperate.

The Disney/Fox merger now simply allows Marvel Studios to use those characters in film. Outside of film (I think the cartoon rights are a little unclear and sortof give and take), Marvel have always been allowed to use those characters whenever and wherever they wanted.

I mean, of course you will eventually see more of these characters when their respective films come out, but as far as comics, games, toys, and merchandise goes... Marvel could always use them.

• Options
    BlackRazakBlackRazak Posts: 2,812
    Well said, @Mr_Wonderful .

I've read some pretty negative comments towards f2p players.
    Especially in threads where you showcase your roster.
    Leave them be, if their skill level enables them to both enjoy and MASTER the game despite not spending a red cent.

Yes, the restaurant analogy might have some semi correct points, but...
    restaurants don't make money from advertising or sponsors, either.
    Your meal won't be interrupted by a dubious 30 second proposal to buy ramen, or vote for some dodgy plonker.

Guess what, when you buy merch from a franchise restaurant, the owner, money lenders, board, banks, chef, waiter, cashier, kids in Asia who made the trinket ALL GET A CUT.
    Whether it adds to stock value, revenue, yearly bonuses, etc., everyone behind the brand gets a cut.

Kabam is not a standalone fine dining restaurant.
    They're a franchisee entrusted at making waves in their area.
    With most of their wares (domains, etc) paid for by HQ (Hasbro), with a percentages and profits business model.
    Like a reciprocal golf club's coffee shop, if that makes any sense
  • Options
    BlackRazak wrote: »
    Well said, @Mr_Wonderful .

I've read some pretty negative comments towards f2p players.
    Especially in threads where you showcase your roster.
    Leave them be, if their skill level enables them to both enjoy and MASTER the game despite not spending a red cent.

Yes, the restaurant analogy might have some semi correct points, but...
    restaurants don't make money from advertising or sponsors, either.
    Your meal won't be interrupted by a dubious 30 second proposal to buy ramen, or vote for some dodgy plonker.

Guess what, when you buy merch from a franchise restaurant, the owner, money lenders, board, banks, chef, waiter, cashier, kids in Asia who made the trinket ALL GET A CUT.
    Whether it adds to stock value, revenue, yearly bonuses, etc., everyone behind the brand gets a cut.

Kabam is not a standalone fine dining restaurant.
    They're a franchisee entrusted at making waves in their area.
    With most of their wares (domains, etc) paid for by HQ (Hasbro), with a percentages and profits business model.
    Like a reciprocal golf club's coffee shop, if that makes any sense

Thanks mate. Didn’t want to come across confrontational on the matter.

There’s nothing wrong with not wanting to spend, even if you have done so in the past. How anyone spends their money is up to them. Personally if I’m going to find Hasbro in any way I’ll buy a transformers toy for my equally transformers addicted kid. Kabam is merely the machination of Hasbro in the sense that it’s Hasbros franchise, not kabam’s. Kabam just happens to be good at making fighting games which suits Hasbro.

Obviously licensing issues are happening and that’s why kabam isn’t making new bots. Kabam has stated that they work with Hasbro and marvel to decide the next character releases. No new bots means less stuff to spend money on. You wouldn’t walk into a shop with the intention of buying something, anything, regardless of what it is. You pay for what you want, and players want new bots. No new game mode in the absense of new bots limits people’s desire to buy stuff, so they are perfectly entitled to not spend.
  • Options
    serdoodserdood Posts: 115
    It would be nice to know who to write to Hasbro to voice our love of the game so they can give more support.
  • Options
    VavatronVavatron Posts: 843
    serdood wrote: »
    It would be nice to know who to write to Hasbro to voice our love of the game so they can give more support.

That’s not a bad idea, can we petition Hasbro?
  • Options
    iuJacob wrote: »

MCOC gets The THING.

While TFTF gets noTHING.

MCOC gets The THING.

While TFTF gets noTHING.

Marvel proper could always use whatever characters they wanted in their games, comics, toys, etc. It was exclusively the films where MARVEL STUDIOS (Disney) couldn’t use those characters, because the film rights were sold off years ago to several different studios, in this case FF/X-Men to Fox, when Marvel was desperate.

The Disney/Fox merger now simply allows Marvel Studios to use those characters in film. Outside of film (I think the cartoon rights are a little unclear and sortof give and take), Marvel have always been allowed to use those characters whenever and wherever they wanted.

I mean, of course you will eventually see more of these characters when their respective films come out, but as far as comics, games, toys, and merchandise goes... Marvel could always use them.

Wait, if Marvel could use them, then why were the X-men and Fantastic 4 left out of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and Lego Marvel Superheroes 2? The X-Men were a staple to the Marvel vs Capcom franchise, so it's odd they were left out. And Kang the Conqueror was the main villain in Lego Marvel 2, and he's owned by Fox. Just curious as to why they weren't added.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    iuJacob wrote: »

MCOC gets The THING.

While TFTF gets noTHING.

MCOC gets The THING.

While TFTF gets noTHING.

Wait, if Marvel could use them, then why were the X-men and Fantastic 4 left out of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and Lego Marvel Superheroes 2? The X-Men were a staple to the Marvel vs Capcom franchise, so it's odd they were left out. And Kang the Conqueror was the main villain in Lego Marvel 2, and he's owned by Fox. Just curious as to why they weren't added.

Apparently they were left out of the latest Capcom game because they felt like the characters just weren’t household names anymore as compared to several years ago.

Fantastic Four haven’t really been in relevant or in-demand for sometime now. Additional reasoning could be Marvel just didn’t feel like giving a big push to characters they didn’t hold the film rights for, even though they CAN use them. Something similar happened in the comics with the mutants a few years ago. Even though they could use them whenever and as much as they want, they weren’t much of a priority anymore compared to the film characters.

They [Marvel] have been making a fairly concentrated effort over the past several years to streamline their brand across all platforms. There is an obvious exception here being Spiderman, and even before he was part of the MCU. Hell, almost everything pales in comparison to Spiderman, as far as merchandise goes. He brings in billions of dollars a year in revenue for Marvel. The next best-selling ‘super hero’ character is DC’s Batman, and he still isn’t even pulling in HALF of what Spiderman does.

The first LEGO Marvel game was full of Fox and Sony Marvel licensed characters, so it’s no surprise Kang was included as the villain for the second game.

Fox and Sony never had a stranglehold on the video game rights (though they could’ve been licensed out to other game companies at some point), but you sure will see more of them now that they are back home, once their respective films start rolling.

• Options
    Raptor22Raptor22 Posts: 111
    Nutjob wrote: »
    Do a little experiment for me. Go and check some of the revenue websites. Compare MCOC and this game. I checked an Apple site, and November's income for MCOC was around $11 million, while this game was around $200k. So maybe you can tell me why there is so much effort being invested in MCOC and so little in this game.

TFTF Dec 2018: $150K
    MCOC Dec 2018: $10M

• Options
    VavatronVavatron Posts: 843
    edited January 2019
    That doesn’t make it a failure, it’s just less successful than thier top game.

The question is: does/can kabam make a healthy margin?
  • Options
    I'm a paying customer, but a minnow, not a whale. I've played for a year and spent about $30 USD. I'd like to ask the pure F2P folks to consider at least making a small monetary investment in the game if it doesn't violate your principles.
  • Options
    Vavatron wrote: »
    That doesn’t make it a failure, it’s just less successful than thier top game.

The question is: does/can kabam make a healthy margin?

If those figures are correct, then that will include the Christmas bundles which should be higher than usual. So in answer to your question, I doubt it. The license wont be cheap, the staff are shared, not sure about servers. Who knows what would be left, but it wont be a lot.
  • Options
    NutjobNutjob Posts: 150
    I'm a paying customer, but a minnow, not a whale. I've played for a year and spent about $30 USD. I'd like to ask the pure F2P folks to consider at least making a small monetary investment in the game if it doesn't violate your principles.

That's my suggestion too. Even $5 a month from 30,000 players would double the current monthly income. Can we honestly say that this game doesn't give us $5 worth of entertainment value every 30 days?

All I am saying is that many people here are complaining that the game will die, and they don't want it to. These same people then say that they won't pay any money towards the game. Pure hypocrisy. I am trying to illustrate the fact that the lack of money being spent is a damned good reason for the game to die.

So, if you don't want it to die, the best solution I can see is for fans of this game to make small monetary contributions. It all adds up.

We complain that MCOC gets regular updates and is stealing Kabam's resources. With about 65X the monthly income, is it any wonder? For every one programmer working on this game, they should have 65 working on MCOC. Kabam would be morons to have anyone working on this game with those numbers. If we triple the income from TFTF and Kabam has about 20-30 programmers on their books, they might throw one our way!

Who is to blame for this situation? We are, not Kabam. Everyone talks about how this game is better than MCOC, blah, blah, blah, then the data shows that MCOC customers are paying heavily for an inferior game, but we're collectively too miserly to contribute to this supposedly superior one.

It's the chicken and egg argument. We want Kabam to develop new content first before we spend, but the game has never generated much income. That means that even when Kabam were rapidly developing new content for the game, we weren't rewarding them. That indicates that our vague suggestion - if they develop new content then we will support it - is a fallacy. The precedent is that we never have, therefore we probably never will, unless we change our attitude.

The issue is, we don't have a decent Transformers game alternative to move to, but Kabam has other profitable games it can redirect its energy to ... and this game will just plod along with no new content.

It's not like they'd lose much if they shut this game down, is it? 1.5% of MCOC's income? I'm sure their balance sheet would survive, the investors would bravely weather the storm, and some of our players would probably move to MCOC anyway.

Feel free to keep disagreeing with me, but please provide me with a more logical argument and some facts, if you want to suggest an alternative course of action. I can keep explaining this to you, but I can't understand it for you.

• Options
    BlackRazakBlackRazak Posts: 2,812
    Hasbro really should speak up.
    This is a pretty excellent game with tons of potential, would it be so difficult, to add content to F2F if you buy their darn toys, ala the online RiD game with their tatooed toys unlocking a playable character?

Win-win

Hasbro sells toys, Kabam get a cut.

Both companies need to promote this game better
  • Options
    xJamesss wrote: »
    Honestly game doesnt need to have ingame purchases, it only makes players leave because one that spends will always have stronger bots and will progress quicker making the big split in community making lots of players quit.

So without in game purchases, how do you suggest Kabam make money?
  • Options
    Honestly game doesnt need to have ingame purchases, it only makes players leave because one that spends will always have stronger bots and will progress quicker making the big split in community making lots of players quit.

Just my opinion, but compared to other mobile games, the disparity in TFTF between big spenders and other players is not obnoxious. Especially since the PvP aspect of the game (raids) is minimal. Big spenders have nicer toys, but they aren't taking away *my* toys, like in more war-oriented games.
  • Options

So without in game purchases, how do you suggest Kabam make money?

Adding more ads would be a budget option. Kabam gets a small amount of cash for being an engine for ads. Partnering with tapjoy or something similar.

Kabam gets money from ad company, f2p players start using it, more money goes to kabam. Win win for everyone.

There’s a reason mcoc doesn’t need to give ads for units. It makes more than enough. This game needs it for its own well-being. Why not add more? I’d even tolerate pop up ads on the menu screens if it doesn’t obstruct anything
  • Options
    I'm F2P and I would pay some money... But the purchase options and pricing make no sense. I If I want to spend money I can buy... Cubes? With which I can buy...shields, batteries and repair kits? Premium 2* bot crystals? If I want to build a better bot... I still need shards and raid chips and bot chips and gold. It's way too complicated and I don't see what I'm getting for giving the money.

More ads could help, and I appreciate they don't force them down our throats, but they could make more of them optional. You can only do mission ads every six hours, and cube ads three times a day. In other games like Disney Crossy Road you can watch ads for the equivalent of bot shards all day long if you want. Or make some bonus levels available for purchase (in addition to what's available).
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 309
    One thing that doesn’t seem to be understood here is how important f2p players really are.

Any player, paying or free, helps build the game. No one wants to be the only person playing a game. They help advertise the game by showing it to their friends and family, eventually someone somewhere will put a few bucks in from this cycle.

On another note, people aren’t spoiled brats for giving ideas on ways to improve the game. Ideas to make things better can come from anywhere, at the end of the day it’s up to Kabam to choose whether to implement a change or not. Not the whales.