Home General Discussion
The Transformers Forged to Fight community has officially moved to Discord. For all the latest news and updates, join us here!

The Problem is the Arena Player Base/Structure

Hello just trying to start a discussion about the lack of players in the arena.
With all the bugs who knows it could be the whole game.

IE. for the t3 arena that happened yesterday Thursday the 2nd of November, I ranked 114 and fell into the bracket of 3-4% for rewards. If my math is correct that means I was 3-4% of roughly only 3,000 people who participated.

How can only 3 thousand people be active in the arena? that is smaller than most highschools. I believe the answer is the rewards structure (not to mention they pulled arena crystal 2 days, IMO terrible idea, 4 stars are not easy for myself to get)
I feel the problem must lie in the reward structure, it does for myself at least.

1. It is a huge turn off to lose a streak and have to start from scratch each day.
2. No milestone rewards, never seeing progress, trying to get a score as high as you can but never being able to track progress or get bonuses along the way. Humans do not respond positively to this.
3. Such steep drop offs from tier to tier (not to mention AM rank rewards are pathetic, rank 15 gets squat)
4. Minor issue, has been such a pain from the start competing against players that had a huge leg up from play time/rewards in the Alpha stage of the game.

ANYWAYS, 3,000 is outrageously low.

Comments

• Three 3 regions for arena, so roughly 8-10k play arena
  • FlavinFlavin Posts: 31
    edited November 2017
    sure 10k in the arena over 3 regions, isn't that still incredibly small number?
    Doesn't that spell out that something isn't working right in the game.

I would have to imagine that the numbers have dropped old arenas v new
  • MustangjonMustangjon Posts: 1,146
    Well the old system had 10-15k rank so the changes to arena hasn’t increased or decreased players ranking or playing arena by any significant amount
  • The most generous way to interpret your rank/bracket would be to assume the 113 ranked person was the last person in the 1-2% bracket. That implies 113x50 (ie: 5,650) players ranking in your region. If all 3 regions were equal, that means 16,300 players ranking in the last arena.

While it's a bit more than you suggested, it obviously doesn't change your main point
  • KillMasterCKillMasterC Posts: 3,105
    Don't stop here. Extrapolate and speculate, so that we have a rough idea about how much Kabam would have earned daily to keep the awesome game running.
    anyone else think this is still an issue? is the play base not growing?
    hit 1.2 mil in crystal arena a few times over the holidays and that was still not worth the 1-2% spot.
  • Flavin wrote: »
    anyone else think this is still an issue? is the play base not growing?
    hit 1.2 mil in crystal arena a few times over the holidays and that was still not worth the 1-2% spot.

It's been 1.5m or more for a while now.
  • DaveJLDaveJL Posts: 1,779
    edited January 2018
    arena is totally, totally messed up. If the idea is to forge your bots then this lends itself to a naturally small but powerful roster size. If you choose not to forge then to maintain a goos streak you need anything below a r2 4* to be maxed out I think? I'm currently using 3* bots at r2 or 3 to get to 5, then using 5 teams of 4*, then waiting for refresh and using 4* again, and repeat, because all my other bots seem too low to keep a streak going. I would reset but the points are pitiful, fights take a long time and there is just very little incentive to do quantity, i.e. arena chips.
    The only arenas really worth playing, that require more matches, also end up with such high cut offs that the amount of arena crystals you get in relation to the volume of fights done is also pitiful.
    Seriously, Kabam just need to revert back to the arena system that was the same as MCOC - it works exceptionally well there. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I am also totally, totally sick of sandbag teams. I blame the player base for this but I would like to see measures to prevent it. It's so incredibly annoying.
    edited January 2018
    It's been around since the beginning and why are we still blaming sandbagging trick instead of taking advantage of it? I leave most of my 2* bots in their initial state and sandbag through 6-15 fights with other maxed 3* bots and even autofight a lot.
    The thing is, when you're sandbagging, you are not afraid of a sandbagging team because your worst one will win over their worst one blink of an eye. Then you only have to win another hard fight which is 1:1.8 (1:1.5 with class advantage) in terms of rating. The worst case is when you have a 3000 team on 15th fight and encounters a sandbagging 6000, which will leave you no choice but two 1600:3000 fights. This doesn't happen everyday and that's when 5 energons come to save. But with the old school way, your 4500 team will meet a 9000+ team, and we know AI goes up with the rating....
    Another crystal arena, 1.593 million points, ranked 96, bracket 3-4%, its crazy
    Hopping this can draw attention to the prize brackets and they can be updated, stinks to stick around for this game when it is losing player base, and less rewards for same amount of work.
    Flavin wrote: »
    Another crystal arena, 1.593 million points, ranked 96, bracket 3-4%, its crazy

Same on Asian region with 1.7m points. A rough calculation says 3000 players in total.
  • Darm0kDarm0k Posts: 2,485
    I think they’re goal may have been to reduce the number of rank rewards given out. So in that sense, it’s working as planned.
  • xxerexxxxerexx Posts: 96
    Interesting that there was a drop off in multiple regions for the Sunday crystal bounty. NA region the previous 2 had at least 5k participating, down to ~3.4k on Sunday.
    xxerexx wrote: »
    Interesting that there was a drop off in multiple regions for the Sunday crystal bounty. NA region the previous 2 had at least 5k participating, down to ~3.4k on Sunday.
    Hard to understand because there is one more Crystal Bounty than expected.
  • DrShotgunDrShotgun Posts: 2,157
    People are sick of grinding these arenas and not knowing where they stand, and having zero milestones. That's the single worst thing Kabam has done to this game and it's really starting to snowball. I won't even enter an arena unless I'm off all day long because it's an absolute waste of time.
  • iuJacobiuJacob Posts: 442
    edited March 2018
    Yeah... Removing milestones and arena chips was a really silly decision.
  • So the ship is sinking? Is that why Ads were brought on board? Hoping that putting tape on the hole would keep things afloat?

I really hope this game can turn things around, I've put a lot of effort and time into this game.
  • So... let's assume that most players who are competing for 1-2% or top ten in a given arena do 4 rotations. There is a 4 hour timer on 4*s, so factoring in a decent amount of sleep, that's about what you have time for (without spending energon). That would be the initial streak starting rotation, however that works for you, then 3 rotations of all maxed 3*s and all 4*s r2 and above on roster.

Now then... put one mere new trio of 4* r2s into the rotation. That is 12k a match (rounding down in fact, it's 12.x usually), but depending on how you build your streak they may not directly add completely new points, but perhaps take the place of 3*s for mere additional points. Whatever, so just take the math of 36k completely new points over 3 rounds....

One new trio of 4* r2s drives the score up 100k points for very minimal additional effort required. And you really think 1.3 million being enough for 1-2% 3 months ago, but now 1.5 is not is weird or requires a drastic explanation? The score will naturally go up and up pretty steeply until there are enough bots to play arena back to back if you really wanted to, and it will inevitably not stop doing so.

In reality.... I can get top 10 on crystal bounty with the usual 4 rotations(2.268 mil got number 7 day before yesterday, that's my normal 4 rotations right now... actually I can do only 3 rotations in most arenas and get 1-2%). I don't think the answer you are looking for here is as sinister as nobody playing, it's much more easily explained by good old roster bloat.
  • xxerexxxxerexx Posts: 96
    @Supraliminal bloat does affect it a little, more so for the higher ranks. However if you keep keep track of ranks and scores for a bit in you region to discover cutoffs you'll likely see variance in the participation. It's certainly true for the Americas.
  • DavienDavien Posts: 758
    they just need to do something to make the game interesting again.. like new arenas (gold/gold crystals and T3C shards are badly needed) to make people participate. A new game mode will help a lot too.
    @Supraliminal The problem is not the points. It's by maintaining the same rank, you fall into another bracket. It's by the end of each AM you see a lot of 18/18 becomes 17/18 and suddenly you receive a lot of alliance invitation.